Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1374
  1. #1161
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    Quote Originally Posted by tadada View Post
    Just excuse me this one time, Smashbox, I'll own you one.

    gundato, why is John Ravioli jobless today ?
    I suggest reading the linked article. More specifically, a quote from his own resignation letter

    My decision to leave EA is really all about my accountability for the shortcomings in our financial results this year. It currently looks like we will come in at the low end of, or slightly below, the financial guidance we issued to the Street, and we have fallen short of the internal operating plan we set one year ago. And for that, I am 100 percent accountable.


    But I know what narrative you are shooting for (and will likely still shoehorn in :p) and Sim City 5 has absolutely nothing to do with it. Read up: It actually sold fairly well. No, if anything, this is the fault of the Medal of Honor flops and Dead Space 3. And while I don't know the guy or many details, the fact that he favored Mirror's Edge makes him an "okay" guy in my book and makes me tend to lean more toward Patrick Swayze's thoughts on the subject.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  2. #1162
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Yeah, that would definitely be an improvement over the way that most high-rises are built, with large empty spaces between them that don't really contribute to the community in any way. The only issue I can see from these pictures is that with the taller street wall you really don't get any natural light.
    That was actually the origin of the setback law I mentioned in an earlier post: So that the street gets direct, natural sunlight for a certain percentage of the day. The law was actually determined by the width of the street, the angle of the grid to the sun and the angle of the sun at four equidistant times of the year.

    Believe me when I saw we thought of this shit a while ago. :P

    Plus, you also get neat effects like Manhattanhenge:

    Last edited by Nalano; 19-03-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #1163
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I suggest reading the linked article.
    Pfft, screw reading, let's make it up!

    I find it hilarious that people can be so skeptical to the point of paranoid over articles reporting on positive aspects of SimCity or really anything else, and yet can draw silly conclusions to fit their own biased world view when something like this comes along. It just goes to show that the "bias" in reporting is part publisher and part reader.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

  4. #1164
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    608
    Look he quit because of the merger of uplay and origin. Ubisoft to buy out EA in the next month, you heard it here first folks!!

  5. #1165
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    One of Rigatoni's smart moves was selling the 15% stake in Ubisoft they owned back in 2010. Their price never reached that high point again.

  6. #1166
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Look he quit because of the merger of uplay and origin. Ubisoft to buy out EA in the next month, you heard it here first folks!!
    Mass Creed. A sci-fi religious RPG, set in the crusades. You play as a priest using the only weapon available: "WOLOLO"
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  7. #1167
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    In that we are in agreement - office parks surrounded by empty plazas are just as horrible to walk through as housing projects surrounded by grass - but part of that is a lack of city planning enforcing street walls and part of that is the conceit of "star" architects who actively destroy the street wall because their buildings are "special." They fail to realize that if every building is special, no building is special.
    In case you all missed it, this was Nalano's elbow hitting my ribs. :D

    Yes, star architects suck, doing pointless BS just for the sake of circus like extravaganza. Tourist traps. Gucci. Bat mobiles instead of WV Golf or Veyrons.

    What Nalano forgets is that mayors and city councils require and pay (from the city budget, of course) for those pointless show-offs (yes, with the help of intermediaries, the urban planners who designate the locations, yes). They are the Gucci and Luis Vuittons of city built space. No one contradicts that but the crowds of turists herding to see them, as if they meant anything more than "a building slightly different, gratuitously". :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    density is good and things will just work themselves out if you get density high enough.
    That's why I was talking all along about density to kick-start it. Critical mass density. 10-15k. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I suggest reading the linked article. More specifically, a quote from his own resignation letter

    But I know what narrative you are shooting for (and will likely still shoehorn in :p) and Sim City 5 has absolutely nothing to do with it. Read up: It actually sold fairly well.
    John Ravioli is jobless today because EA failed.

    Can you say that? Really? I dare you to say "EA failed" :)
    Last edited by tadada; 19-03-2013 at 10:51 AM.

  8. #1168
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,088
    We all know the real reason he's left, and it ain't SimCity.

    Remember that Star Wars MMO? Galaxy of the Old Rebellion Kingdom or whatever?

    I have trouble believing that 'investment' paid off.

  9. #1169
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,146
    That doesn't fit in with Tadada's ongoing argument of hating EA and accusing Gundato of being some kind of EA shill though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  10. #1170
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,088
    Oh that. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.


  11. #1171
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    Does the horrible failure that was The Old Republic count as this fiscal year (I already forgot when it came out)? Because yeah, that was a pretty hard blow as well.

    And I am inclined to agree with a lot of the big names coming out who are calling the media (especially kotaku) a bunch of asshole vultures for the way they are mocking him.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...lo-resignation

    Like it or not, Riccitiello apparently WAS a gamer and tried his best to balance gameplay with profits. I think we can all agree he didn't do a good enough job, but at least the guy was trying. And EA DID seem to emphasize a lot of the titles/franchises gamers liked, which is at least something (rather than just focusing on the guaranteed moneymakers like the sports games). And he left EA a better place than when he received it, he just didn't do a good enough job and got screwed by a year where gamers finally said "We want something new".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  12. #1172
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I find it hilarious that people can be so skeptical to the point of paranoid over articles reporting on positive aspects of SimCity or really anything else, and yet can draw silly conclusions to fit their own biased world view when something like this comes along. It just goes to show that the "bias" in reporting is part publisher and part reader.
    This.
    EA and the like spend fortunes on advertising. The least we can do (if we don't like them) is counter with our own pathetic little campaign. I don't want to communicate anything sensible about all of this, I want to pile on! Although we are small and weak let's try to out PR EA!
    I don't give a shit what happened, the EA CEO stepped down not only because I didn't buy SimCity, but also because I shouted so loudly at him.

  13. #1173
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

    Plus, you also get neat effects like Manhattanhenge:
    I never realised how well Crysis 2 nailed the look of NY until now.

  14. #1174
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Does the horrible failure that was The Old Republic count as this fiscal year (I already forgot when it came out)? Because yeah, that was a pretty hard blow as well.
    That would have been the last fiscal year, it came out end of December 2011. Their fiscal year ends in March 31. So it would be nearly 2 fiscal years ago now. Also at the time he said

    We are proud to report a strong quarter and a fiscal year highlighted with $1.2 billion of digital revenue," said Chief Executive Officer
    John Riccitiello. "In the coming year, we break away from the pack, with a very different profile than the traditional game companies and capabilities that none of our new digital competitors can match.
    Source - http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=671113

    So no it wasn't that big a blow I don't think. also they have this
    "Record numbers of players have engaged in the online features and content downloads for FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, and Battlefield," said EA President
    Frank Gibeau. "On the strength of our digital extensions, FIFA and Battlefield are the two biggest revenue events in our company's history. Both are well on their way to becoming billion dollar annual franchises."
    Source - http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=717276

    Billion dollar franchises! With online features and content downloads, very much multiplayer social games. Yes you can play Fifa on your own, but there is a large online social element available too.


    They look to be coming in this year at about the same, if not lower revenue, which is much lower than EA is used to before the slump in 2008. The newer games have exploded like they hoped it seems, and he is stepping down, maybe he is out of ideas. They may have killed Medal of Honour: The Cashcow with the newer games aswell don't forget.
    Last edited by Kiril; 19-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.

  15. #1175
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,146
    TOR is a failure in EA's eyes, they'll just spin it as well as they can, particularly when they're trying to please investors. They wanted it to be a subscription based MMO like WoW and rake them in all the money. Instead they at most got a million (maybe two?) players, most of who never set up subscriptions beyond their first free month and it went free2play. I remember reading how it was the fastest MMO ever to go from subs to free.

    MoH was a bomb, DS3 hasn't worked out like they wanted and has put DS on hold. Dantes Inferno, bomb. Skate didn't work out like they'd hoped (which is a shame because that was a great series). WAR is the same story as TOR except they held out on going f2p a bit longer.

    EA has three cash cows
    -Sports
    -The Sims
    -Battlefield (which doesn't do as well as they want either)
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  16. #1176
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    Hmm, TOR might have to do with them not meeting projections then. It probably sold well enough at launch, but the crap attachment rate definitely would have hurt.

    Especially because their "F2P with Subscriptions" approach took far too long to launch and just went to show that the F2P gameplay is too hindered.
    And Guild Wars 2 launching couldn't have helped since ArenaNet basically (once again) showed everyone that an F2P MMO can be as good as, if not better than, WoW and still turn a good profit on microtransactions that most of the users aren't annoyed by. And, you know, they did an actual MMO this time around instead of a Diablo game with a graphical chat room :p

    And I would list Bioware as a cash cow. Even if DA2 kind of was "meh" and people bitched about the ending of ME3, the games still sold amazingly well and have a high attach rate on DLC.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  17. #1177
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    TOR is a failure in EA's eyes, they'll just spin it as well as they can, particularly when they're trying to please investors.
    Oh it was a failure alright, but not a huge blow to knock EA off stride. Their revenue went up $400 million that year. Its just recently there have been too many meh games I think. While solid, its not growth and thats what investors want, they want to be worth more money each year. He is the man in charge and he took the fall for it. I think the media are jumping on him, because reddit* doesn't like him and the media have a lot of ground to make up with reddit* after mountain-dew-gate

    *Replace reddit with whichever community of shouty people you want

  18. #1178
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,088
    Bioware stuff has sold well because of a large amount of trust and goodwill built up over years.

    That's a difficult, and extremely time-consuming asset to acquire. It's also a difficult asset to quantify, which is why you can see them spending it wantonly.

    Same goes, to a lesser extent possibly, for Crytek and Maxis.

    DICE still has a good reputation, I think. Miraculously, they've escaped the annualized ghetto thus far (but only just barely, I think).

  19. #1179
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,286
    DICE are still doing annualized games. They just generally do a game, then a DLC (or four), then another game. But they still release a game's worth of content (and moneys) every year.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  20. #1180
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,146
    Revenue going up $400M means nothing if they spent $420M on advertising (made up figure to point out that revenue doesn't mean profit).

    Bioware could probably been seen as a cash cow, but I see Dragon Age 3 doing very well and the series might get put up on the top shelf along with Dead Space 3 and Mirrors Edge 2. If they keep pumping out Mass Effect games, they'll do alright. I know everyone thinks that after the ME3 ending nobody is going to buy another game from them because some shouty angry people said so on the internet, but it will. You might as well claim Star Wars 7 is going to flop because of the prequels. It just wont.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •