Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1374
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You mean like the City of London in the City of London already does? ;)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    That's really hard to say, as financing is notoriously complex. Different taxes go to different levels of the federal system, which in turn give some of that back to other levels (the "Länderfinanzausgleich", the system which allocates money from the Länder, similar to U.S federal states, to the towns is often a highly controversial topic of local politics). If the cities could keep all the taxes levied in their area? Perhaps the city would still work, though I've honestly no idea.

I looked up a few numbers, according to which the city has a nearly even level of commuter flow (about as many people commute out of the city to work as commute into it) and a relatively low unemployment rate and an almost balanced budget, though as it also supplies a lot of public institutions for the surrounding towns (several secondary schools, public services, a hospital), it also has a lot of additonal costs.

Also, most city employees are already paid by the cities themselves as far as I know, only employees in federal or state institutions (like the unemployment office or the police) are paid directly by the federal or state government.
    Then your town is OK.
    The question I asked and the potential problem it points to is something acute or chronic, there's no chance for it to exist and you to not know about it.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    London would do fine on those measures, it's why I keep saying we should form an independent city state and get away from all the frankly insane UKIP voting bastards in the country side.
    I think it was a french dude that once said that democracy can only work in a country of angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    There are already city-states in the world. Singapore is a well-known example.

New York City, were it to secede (and it has tried to secede three times) would immediately find itself levying only half the tax burden and still have a $3 billion/yr surplus. We would find ourselves to be, literally as well as figuratively, an island off the coast of America (named Tri-Insula, as per one of the previous secession attempts). As we already have one of the best intelligence departments in the country and a navy yard, we'd really only need, say, a ballistic missile or two to be enough of a deterrent.

Not that it will happen, nor would that be the best solution for the country.
    So, to draw a conclusion, you, new yorkers, are not only crafty but also pesky lil annoyances, hitting Boston's knee when no one's watching, trying to split the party several times and so on. :D
    Yes, it's ballistic missiles you're missing, that hits the spot :D
    Have you thought about "intelligently integrated ICBM silo + mass transit route" technical solutions too, Nalano?

So long as we keep accepting immigrants, we'll be one of the top dogs.
    *cough but you're not accepting immigrants *cough

Really, I'm serious.
    Instead of allowing people at least temporary work permits, if not permanent, every "dear sir, ma'am" letter to the embassy gets an "piss off, you potential immigrant" answer back, instead of a generous thank you BJ delivered once with the paperwork.
    Last edited by tadada; 27-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tadada View Post
    So, to draw a conclusion, you, new yorkers, are not only crafty but also pesky lil annoyances, hitting Boston's knee when no one's watching, trying to split the party several times and so on. :D
    What the fuck are you talking about?

*cough but you're not accepting immigrants *cough

Really, I'm serious.
    No, seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

I like talking about city planning in general and New York in specific. But I need smart people to talk with. Do you happen to know any?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Is this game still broken? I am asking about the road system and the simulation itself not so much the whole situation with the servers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    You mean like the City of London in the City of London already does? ;)
    Don't get me started on the City.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeineFiend View Post
    Is this game still broken? I am asking about the road system and the simulation itself not so much the whole situation with the servers.
    Eh, its better now. The traffic system is being improved and is better. I am enjoying until I hit huge density and then it starts getting a bit off. Which is fine for me as I am not a fan of high density areas, but it kind of evolves that way at times.

I have been enjoying it from the start myself, so take my word for it with a grain of salt

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It's still broken, and as they said the server (issues) are inseparable from the game.

Want to build a garbage dump and a power plant far away from the rich folks? Too bad, server hiccup, your town is overflowing with shit and trash. Everyone is leaving.

Completely and utterly broken. I am actually (not even joking) having trouble thinking of ONE FEATURE in this game that is not fraught with bugs (or affected by bugs in closely interacting systems).

Scrolling works, I suppose (zooming creates LOD issues and terrain that covers roads).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...n/7053-SimCity

Oh, and they let that "feature" of the road glitching with the terrain in. Eeks. I should have really posted that 150 long "feature" list I had. Was too afraid to get sued by EA though. It is EA were talking about, and it was a closed BETA. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Uh-oh someone said inflamatory things about EA! Quick, send our resident EA defense squad over to the rescue!
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I saw a video recently of a guy who made a tall, long, winding highway out on the river. It was pointless other than being impressive to look at a car stupid drive along it.

Then a boat came along and just sailed through the road as if it wasn't even there.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Uh-oh someone said inflamatory things about EA! Quick, send our resident EA defense squad over to the rescue!
    I think they could be on holiday but I could sub in. Those aren't bugs or anything, they are online features, if you see roads glitching out, the game is telling you are connected online and you can have fun.

Its a very good system, I worry sometimes when the glitchs don't happen.

Network Hub
    page 5
    The first time the persons obtaining legal permanent resident status got to be over 1 mil / fiscal year was in (oau) 1905.
    Total US population in 1905: approx 85 millions.
    % of total pop = 1.20%

2011: total pop = approx 310 mil
    % of total pop = 0.31 %

Peanuts.
    For a country depending on immigration for a constant kick forward......that is peanuts.

That's not a problem, there is Canada too.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/res.../facts2011.pdf
    page 3:
    2010: 0.8%
    2011: 0.7%
    I like talking about city planning in general and New York in specific. But I need smart people to talk with. Do you happen to know any?
    Don't be cheap, it ruins your style.

What makes you think that the America of the 1900's and the America of 2011 are comparable?

The world has changed drastically in that time. Why would America need a constant 1.2% influx of people to move over and live in their country? There's enough people in America without jobs, pumping out kids and clogging up systems.

America is still very much allowing people to obtain legal permanent residency. So they let over 1,000,000 in in 2012 and because they said no to you, this means they don't let people in?

And Canada? Companies from Canada regularly attend and even put on events in Ireland to try and get people to go live in their country and work for them.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    I wasn't the one being denied, there's nothing for an architect to do in a country where 99.something% of everything built is made of ticky tacky, in catalog pre-defined assemblies and then arrayed till the horizon.
    *rising shoulders
    They need people to do tabular quantity summarized estimates and perma-retarded-smile real estate agents. Not architects.

The ones I know to be continuously denied were IT dudes.
    Both of them, despite the denial, made crap loads of cash afterwards from contracting externalized services of some US corporations.
    All is well when it ends well....

We take more than anybody else. Period.

For an architect, you're bad at considering implications: To take 1% of our population annually we'd have to accept 3 million a year. Unless there's a world war going on, that sort of population shift would be insane.
    Last edited by Nalano; 29-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Ok.
    But it's you who brought the numbers into discussion, not me.

When I said that I wasn't referring so much to the quantity, as much to the quality of those being denied.
    Fully trained people, for which the origin country payed a big amount for education and all the rest (and now could be "imported", ready to "produce", work well and pay taxes, for free)
    They promised a lot in the paper credentials and, to no one's amazement, they actually confirmed later to be extraordinary folks.

If they were being denied....then why in the world does the US has an immigration institution in the first place ?
    To do what exactly?
    Because it's certainly not there to boost economic growth and power.

If people making money and stuff out of thin air (almost), trough educated and hard work, are deemed "not fit" then US could just close the borders completely, as far as I care.
    And to be honest, I don't even care that much. Why should I? It's their business what they make out of their own country, not my business.

Because the US just needs people who are educated and can make money right?

Not like they accepted thousands of people into their countries to build their skyscrapers and roads and other manual jobs.

You seem to have taken some exception that your mates didn't get a green card. There's probably a number of reasons for this. Maybe whatever country you're from has a bad history. Maybe they share names with known criminals or terrorists. Maybe, just maybe, it was decided that they didn't want to import a couple of IT guys.

Steam ID

Ok.
    But it's you who brought the numbers into discussion, not me.
    Because for somebody who supposedly works in a math-related field, you don't seem to understand them.

I don't know why your friends were denied. Communicable diseases. Police records. Inconsistent paperwork. A backlog of about thirty million people in front of them. I only have your word for it, and I have no particular reason to trust you. You're bitter because it affects you personally, but suffice it to say the world is bigger than you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Because for somebody who supposedly works in a math-related field, you don't seem to understand them.
    You've mistaken me for a civil engineer (which we work with for structural calculus).

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Because the US just needs people who are educated and can make money right?

Not like they accepted thousands of people into their countries to build their skyscrapers and roads and other manual jobs.

You seem to have taken some exception that your mates didn't get a green card. There's probably a number of reasons for this. Maybe whatever country you're from has a bad history. Maybe they share names with known criminals or terrorists. Maybe, just maybe, it was decided that they didn't want to import a couple of IT guys.
    PM, for you to see the reasons behind all this immigration thing being so funny.
    Last edited by tadada; 30-03-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    It's still broken, and as they said the server (issues) are inseparable from the game.

Want to build a garbage dump and a power plant far away from the rich folks? Too bad, server hiccup, your town is overflowing with shit and trash. Everyone is leaving.
    Garbage dump? Power plant? Who needs those!

http://imgur.com/a/gW7F9