Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Also, as far as I could tell, none of that stuff is enabled in the Beta, and you're only allowed to play for an hour before it kicks you out and makes you start a new city, so it's kind of the most pointless beta in the history of betas.
    I assume they are testing the online component. The 1 hour limit is a crappy demo and hasn't really shown me anything of the game but for EA it will have been a very useful test.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Activated Node
    I don't have much to add - I feel most commentors have already made the points I wanted to make, but because this is the internet, here I go.

The simulation aspect is pretty neat. The data visualisation looks so clean, it's fantastic. I think from here on, every citybuilder will have addable structures, if they didn't already - that's definately innovative. On the flip side of that is this inane requirement that everything be connected directly to the street, leaving you with no idea how big the buildings are going to be and so either having not enough space or too much space inbetween (but not enough for a second road).

However, there aren't a lot of buildings at all. And this brings me to my main concern. This game looks based around microstransactions, just like they shoved in the Sims 3. And I think that's a crying shame. Oh yeah, Origin is surprisngly not that horrible.
    Yeah well, the furnace is nice and warm and I'm bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoshrimp View Post
    However, there aren't a lot of buildings at all. And this brings me to my main concern. This game looks based around microstransactions, just like they shoved in the Sims 3. And I think that's a crying shame.
    I really hope this isn't true. Despite the online component I was looking forward to this game, but if its going to be anything like you say I am starting to have second thoughts.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    I assume they are testing the online component. The 1 hour limit is a crappy demo and hasn't really shown me anything of the game but for EA it will have been a very useful test.
    But my point is: If all the regional economy stuff is disabled (as it appears to be. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere), how are they testing the online? Yeah, the front-end log-in stuff got hammered straight off, but they still don't know how their servers will handle connectivity between cities in a region when there are a few hundred thousand cities going at once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just to ask, what exactly is SimCity's online component? I know that the entire game seems to be stored "in the cloud" (or, at least, your city's status is), but is there any persistent multiplayer component to go with it? Will different players' cities be interacting in real time, much in the same way that your multiple cities could link together within the same region in SimCity 4? I haven't heard a lot of information on this front.
    My guess would be they want to take Ubisoft's idea and go with achievements and challenges like what they did with Anno, then there is the sharing content like screenshots and stuff.

@Cryptoshrimp Where do you get the impression they go with microtransactions/Buy additional buildings in their store? It's a demo so it's logical it's a bit on the limited side.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 27-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

It would have been awesome if it was something like SimCity+The Sims in 1 :D

Activated Node
    @CodeineFriend, Ravelle
    I can't be sure, of course. But, looking at EA's track record, the pre-orders and the lack of builings in the game, it seems to me a very logical path to go. Yes, it's a 'beta', of sorts, but most of the buildings seem to be already in - just not avalible in beta. There are less options than there were in the other games, I think there's a good chance we'll see microstransactions for buildings/building addon/cosmetic building makeovers.
    Yeah well, the furnace is nice and warm and I'm bored.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    If it was a beta, they'd allow players more than an hour to get their bearings, so that they could test the motherfucker long enough to actually report bugs.

It's a glorified demo.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    As a "beta" this feels (to me) more polished than Cities XL 2012. The server issues are annoying though, and I'm disappointed by the list of transport options they'll have at the start. It's a shame that nobody else has come up with a proper competitor to SimCity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If it was a beta, they'd allow players more than an hour to get their bearings, so that they could test the motherfucker long enough to actually report bugs.

It's a glorified demo.
    That. Or maybe their own certainly not small QA department has done that, considering the game is in rather nice shape, and they are now stress testing and collecting compability data with different hardware setups.

Don't be silly.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a beta, but it's not the game they are testing. You know it's the truth. ;)

There's nothing wrong with stress testing the servers. But if they go down regardless of how many tests they have conducted *cough diablo3 cough* then we have a problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    There's nothing wrong with stress testing the servers. But if they go down regardless of how many tests they have conducted *cough diablo3 cough* then we have a problem.
    You are aware that 'testing' an online game which could have 100s of 1000s or even perhaps millions of concurrent players is actually impossible aren't you?

It boggles my mind that people think "Oh they'll have a beta weekend and that will ensure the game can handle a login from every person on Earth at the same time" - I realise not everyone has a clue about how these things work but it's kinda scary people would think that.

I mean I don't know exactly how rocketswork but I know that fuel is mixed air which ignites and that anything which disturbs that will result in you "not going into space today" - I don't expect one rocket test to ensure no rocket after that ever fails :)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It boggles my mind that people think "Oh they'll have a beta weekend and that will ensure the game can handle a login from every person on Earth at the same time" - I realise not everyone has a clue about how these things work but it's kinda scary people would think that.
    I'm pretty sure no one here has said anything along those lines. Maybe stop barking at imaginary contributors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

It's a glorified demo.
    Man, I thought time based demos were a thing of the past.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Man, I thought time based demos were a thing of the past.
    Demos pretty much are a thing of the past.

Banned
    But seriously, how good is this game? It's an absolute work of art. The wealth of information at your fingertips that lies just a few clicks away, its astonishing.

I had my reservations about this new instalment but I'm all over it. DO WANT.

Well done Maxis!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    But seriously, how good is this game? It's an absolute work of art. The wealth of information at your fingertips that lies just a few clicks away, its astonishing.

I had my reservations about this new instalment but I'm all over it. DO WANT.

Well done Maxis!
    Well I don't want to sound quite so enthusiastic about it, but yeah. Tried playing some SC4 after five runs of the beta but it just felt so clunky and grim. I'm really enjoying it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I'm pretty sure no one here has said anything along those lines. Maybe stop barking at imaginary contributors?
    Ah, I know him well from his posts to articles, that's just how he is. I don't mind. Funny thing is I know exactly how rockets work, rocket science being a thing that I study.

If the game sells billions, you'd expect it would be the responsibility of the publisher to make sure people who have paid for it can play it when they like. Technical complications only show how stupid this always online shenanigans are. If you want to pretend you are providing a service, you should be held accountable for it.

On the other hand, if the game is good I will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post

I had my reservations about this new installment but I'm all over it. DO WANT.

Well done Maxis!
    The tutorial is also nicely done and everything's so clear on what is what too. The interface looks slick, the whole Mirrors Edge mode to filter certain things, seeing sewage flow through streets and pumped in to the disposal etc etc.

The zones also confuse me a bit, you're allowed to build on the sides of roads which leaves a big empty square space, do the buildings grow inwards?

The only thing I'm not so fond of is the Simtalk, it works in The Sims but it feels a bit out of place in a city builder. Also that Sims 3 character design, still creeps me out and not quite like it. ;p

Also not allowed to save in a demo is too bad.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 27-01-2013 at 06:36 PM.