Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Well I don't want to sound quite so enthusiastic about it, but yeah. Tried playing some SC4 after five runs of the beta but it just felt so clunky and grim. I'm really enjoying it for what it is.
    Actually I found it the opposite. I find Sim 5 clunky. But it has really nice graphics and curved (but messy to drawn currently) roads. I'll go back to sim 4 to get the same angle you got (mine is 4 to 5, yous is 5 to 4?). :P

The artwork and detail is nice. Not all of the information is well setout or conveyed though. Was my hospital/police/firefighter failing due to range constraints (length of road or zone area), range plus time (time of journey), or just time (time of dispatch)?

As to the power, was I double the need, or half? I can see boxes on each house, but how much is that?

I really, really, really hope they don't add farmville mechanics and micro transactions with "grind" and "limits" at the last second. I'd not put it past them, seeing what a couple of the little touches are hinting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    But seriously, how good is this game? It's an absolute work of art. The wealth of information at your fingertips that lies just a few clicks away, its astonishing.

I had my reservations about this new instalment but I'm all over it. DO WANT.

Well done Maxis!
    How so? You mean there are lots of infographic tabs and such? I do like me a graph.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Much, much more than just tabs, duff. There are what, roughly 20 different overlays? Each overlay changes the appearance of the actual main window, showing things like crime rates, pollution, happiness (as huge bars over each house, like some sort of point cloud bar graph hybrid), etc. With the overlays switched on, the textures are turned off, making it look clean and sleek. It's really a superb way of passing information without forcing you to use spreadsheets and 2D graphs.

I find the game really sleek and fun to play with. If it weren't for the online restriction and the map size issues, this would be an instant buy for me.

Network Hub
    From what people are saying, it sounds like this would clear up a lot of the usability issues that I've found irritate me with SimCity 4. Still not entirely sold, but its good to know that, beyond all the online stuff that everyone's been focused on there's actually a good game here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I'm pretty sure no one here has said anything along those lines. Maybe stop barking at imaginary contributors?
    Maybe learn to read and spot my attempt at sequeing memes too

But if they go down regardless of how many tests they have conducted *cough diablo3 cough* then we have a problem.
    Note 'if' and not 'when' - that's the nub of it - 'if' does not apply - ever...

WoW expansions have been fine even with millions online at the same time. For the last two releases it's been midnight launches for millions of people logging in at the same time. For the last one it's been without even needing to relog to the server. It is quite possible to accommodate that many people without problems. If they are willing to spend the cash to make it happen is another matter.

Anyway that isn't the point I'm trying to make. It's that you shouldn't have always online requirements if you can't provide for your players. If they want to go the MMO way of doing things is it too much to expect it to work as well as one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    WoW expansions have been fine even with millions online at the same time. For the last two releases it's been midnight launches for millions of people logging in at the same time. For the last one it's been without even needing to relog to the server. It is quite possible to accommodate that many people without problems. If they are willing to spend the cash to make it happen is another matter.

Anyway that isn't the point I'm trying to make. It's that you shouldn't have always online requirements if you can't provide for your players. If they want to go the MMO way of doing things is it too much to expect it to work as well as one?
    Wow has taken SEVEN YEARS to get to the point it's at now and I still doubt it's 'perfect' (in fact a mate chatted to me for 2 the earlier this week because he couldn't play WoW for some reason...) :)

Your argument is that because perfection isn't possible you shouldn't do something at all - or worse, that everything is soluble with money!? That's a hell of an argument, mankind would still be living on the plains of Africa trying to kill things with clubs if we'd taken that approach with most things :)

It's clear people have a massive problem with the way D3 and SC are going 'always online' - problem is, the developers don't give a monkeys. They know almost everyone will buy the game anyway (D3 wasn't exactly a sales flop, was it?) and so...

I'm sure developers know people dislike DLC but they keep slathering that on higher and higher - sometimes you do things for good reasons - sometimes less good reasons - sometimes outright nasty reasons but the one thing which universally doesn't factor in is the rage of a minority of people who are 'against' stuff.

No-one is twisting anyone's arm to play D3 or SC anyway - there's not exactly a shortage of other games out there, is there?

Network Hub
    That would be a reasonable option for this game. I can't see the reasoning behind a requirement to be constantly connected just to play it. It's unnecessary and a burden.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    My industrial buildings have the message " Not enough spaces to ship freight" and quickly enough get abandoned, I don't really have a clue what this means.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Industrial produces goods that are sold by commercial buildings. So likely you had high demand for commercial but didn't zone any.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I think it's because all the freight buildings are locked off.

At a certain point, the demo city becomes completely stymied by locked-off buildings. At that point, it's best to close the fire department and police department and watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    At a certain point, the demo city becomes completely stymied by locked-off buildings. At that point, it's best to close the fire department and police department and watch the world burn.
    Conservative Manifesto 2010

The demo was pretty good, though, I'm interested to read some reviews.

Seems buggy, though, particularly road intersections. I hope they make the March date.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Ah I see, Beta's over now, sadly. I was fine with playing it over and over gain and improve slightly, wish it was an actual demo so I could at least get the hang of it.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Conservative Manifesto 2010
    I think that was half the Tea Party platform for 2012

(C&C Generals had the other half: AK47s for everybody!)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I think that was half the Tea Party platform for 2012

(C&C Generals had the other half: AK47s for everybody!)
    It would be interesting to see a modded Sim City for the right-wing approach to life - you could call it the "What!? You weren't BORN into wealth - IMPOSSIBLE!!" edition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It would be interesting to see a modded Sim City for the right-wing approach to life - you could call it the "What!? You weren't BORN into wealth - IMPOSSIBLE!!" edition.
    That'd be simple: Just mod out power, water, fire, police, schools and roads. The free market will provide.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Well, you might have to mod in the free market, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Well, you might have to mod in the free market, too.
    Blasphemy, the invisible hand of the free market permeates everywhere.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You got it all wrong. You mod out everything and fix taxes to 0% with no way to change them. The free market will build the city for you.

Bonus points for adding a sycophant advisor.