Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Bonus points for adding a sycophant advisor.
    Added random disaster: The elite, dynamic builders of your city all "go Galt," where they go on strike, leaving the unwashed, uneducated masses to fend for themselves, largely through cannibalism.
    Last edited by Nalano; 28-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, I've got a 150 or more long bug list to write up to EA when I get the chance. Starts with "requested to read 3 EULAs that would require more time than the beta lasts for".

Well, actually, checking it only takes 25 mins to read them. That's got to be a first!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It would be interesting to see a modded Sim City for the right-wing approach to life - you could call it the "What!? You weren't BORN into wealth - IMPOSSIBLE!!" edition.
    There will be mod tools for SC2013 but just not at launch sadly.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

For those of you in the "beta" - Can anyone comment on the rumors I keep hearing that its more Sim Village/Town than a actual city?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    We did comment on them a couple pages ago!

Interesting:

It's not entirely off the table, though. EA Maxis creative director Ocean Quigley said the ability to support mods is already built into GlassBox, the new engine powering SimCity, so there's potential for mod support down the road -- just not at launch.
    I sure hope they get the leash-length to work on mod tools. I really really hope.

I fear that DLC may make this impossible. The suits' argument: devs' time would be better-spent making content to sell and not creating content that could eat into DLC sales.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If the suits don't allow modding, people will figure out a way to do it. If the game is remotely moddable, it's probably possible to mod it without mod tools.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
    For those of you in the "beta" - Can anyone comment on the rumors I keep hearing that its more Sim Village/Town than a actual city?
    Buildable area in beta:
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

That looks like a smaller slice of city than what I see when I look out of the window. Also disappointed with the empty space between the "cities" since I hoped I'd be able to build bigger cities by making a few of these smaller ones. Like the region view of Simcity 4.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world, if the gameplay is really good a lot can be forgiven. Maybe their simulation falls apart at bigger scales or is beyond the capabilities of an average PC.

I don't think we know right now for sure whether the map in the beta is the biggest size we can play in the actual game. Given many other things are restricted in the beta it would probably be unwise to assume so. However, one of the chief developers has said in an interview that the largest maps will be "around the size of a normal map from Sim City 4". Which is a tad ambigous, but we definitely know they will be a fair bit smaller than the biggest maps in Sim City 4, which kind of sucks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    However, one of the chief developers has said in an interview that the largest maps will be "around the size of a normal map from Sim City 4". Which is a tad ambigous, but we definitely know they will be a fair bit smaller than the biggest maps in Sim City 4, which kind of sucks.
    To quote myself,

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    According to Maxis, the size of a city in SimCity 2013 is 2km2. This is a quarter of the size of a large city in SimCity 4, which is 4km2, and roughly 1.5% of the size of SimCity 3000's 32km2.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Are there actually different sizes at all in the new game? I'm inclined to believe that the beta map is the largest one, but it would be really odd if there were actually smaller ones too. I don't know, somehow artificial. I'm hoping that the regional play will make things feel a bit bigger.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    And thanks to flooding, power outages, and being sent to man an evacuation centre housing 16 people, I didn't get to play any of the rest of the weekend. NOT A HAPPY CHEESE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    And thanks to flooding, power outages, and being sent to man an evacuation centre housing 16 people, I didn't get to play any of the rest of the weekend. NOT A HAPPY CHEESE.
    Just over a month to go! Hope everything is sorted by then for you :)

I played it a few times but if anything I was just teasing myself, things always got interesting one way or another just as that hour was up.

I was going to wait for some reviews on this but the beta pretty much convinced me. Quality is good and game is enjoyable to play. Is anyone going for the pricey pack with those european models? I'm tempted but wonder how extensive they are.

Network Hub
    I'll just torrent it, even if the game was good it is £60 on Origin for the pack you'd want, you can bet EA will charge £400 for DLC like The Sims and always online DRM put me off....... plus I don't want Origin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    The city posted by cooper would not house more than fiveK of people unless it was high density suburb. I like my city big. Spent my whole summer holiday by building over every square in sc3000. Really a step backward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    The city posted by cooper would not house more than fiveK of people unless it was high density suburb. I like my city big. Spent my whole summer holiday by building over every square in sc3000. Really a step backward.
    I got to a population of 25k in the beta at medium density and the map wasn't built as full as the one in the pic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    In terms of outright size? Maybe. But it is a lot more detailed now, instead of relying on arbitrary things like "This circle probably represents the active area of this hospital."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I got to a population of 25k in the beta at medium density and the map wasn't built as full as the one in the pic.
    Not talking about what games say. But what this city looks like. Can't have 25k without half of that city being apartment complex.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    In terms of outright size? Maybe. But it is a lot more detailed now, instead of relying on arbitrary things like "This circle probably represents the active area of this hospital."
    True but being able to actually build a city is sort of the main part of the game. Seeing how your little town grows from small village to mega polis. This so far cannot provide that. Although the only MP mode is the main issue and the deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 29-01-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Ok so I have my SimCity bug going, though not tried the beta (too much general faff with Origin, servers and my flakey internet).

I have Sim City 4 deluxe, what mods are going to improve this? The simulation layer still feels a bit too lite.

Also has anyone played Cities XL? What's that like?

Also £45 or £65 (if you want it to look like a real city i.e. London) for SimCity? Fuck off EA!
    Last edited by Zephro; 29-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.