Activated Node

RPS Airmech Faction

Carbon Games has added player created factions into Airmech. So I decided to make this thread in order to see if there are any Airmech players here and if they were interested in a RPS faction. I know it's a bit early since the whole faction system is still under development(you can't create factions ingame, but instead have to ask one of the developers to create it for you) and at the moment the only things that being in a faction gives is the faction tag and faction chat(this should improve in the coming months). But anyway, I thought I'd see if there are any RPSers interested in this.

For those of you who haven't heard about Airmech before, it's a free to play Action RTS, available at Steam or directly from Carbon website.(you can also find it in the Chrome Store, but unfortunately Chrome players can't play with Steam/PC players). It is a spiritual successor to the classic Sega Genesis game Herzog Zwei(1989). It is vaguely similar to MOBA games although the name Action RTS would probably fit it better than other MOBAs as you can actually build units yourself in this game(instead of relying only on creeps).

The game is currently on beta, so there are still some things that haven't made it into the game yet. New patches are coming almost every week so that will change in the coming months. TB did a WTF Is... on this game a few months ago and Husky did a video as well. Due to the frequent patches, those videos are now outdated but they will still give you a basic idea of how it works.

2v2 and 3v3 pvp are the most common game modes. You control an airmech, a robot which can transform freely between groundmode(walking) and airmode(flying). Each team has a fortress which you have to destroy in order to win. The map(of which there are nine at the moment of this writing) is dotted with outposts and neutral units. The gameplay revolves around getting map control by capturing the outposts(they cannot be destroyed) and working your way up to the enemy fortress. The outposts(like your fortress) work as healing/refueling stations for the airmechs and also allow you to build units from. The game is extremely fast-paced. You got to think fast, react fast and micro your units fast.

In addition to PvP there is also solo and coop(mainly for practicing) plus CTF and survival(coop tower defense with units instead of towers).

The free to play model is in my mind very generous. It took me about two months to unlock all the units/pilots/airmechs(granted, I didn't play other games during that time). You can also buy the beta bundle which will unlock almost everything in case you don't like to wait. But the default units you start with coupled with the cost of unlocking new units will mean that you can almost have a competitive loadout after playing for a day.

And last but not least, the community is pretty awesome. Lots of helpful people in the global chat and often enough you can even find the developers there, answering questions or just playing with people.

So anyway, let me know if you are interested in a RPS faction and if you haven't tried the game out yet, do so. It won't cost a dime and it's only about 100Mb so it won't even take long to download.:)
    Last edited by Poppis; 21-01-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fixing typos

I`m kind of hesitant given my previous experience with MOBA, which this seems to be somewhat similar to in terms of player interaction. I`d like to play, but considering that my time with the tutorial was a laggy mess, and that the 2v2 and 3v3 seems a magnet for veritable barrages of swearing it kind of seems a hard sell. Still, the basic concept looks fun enough, as did TB`s WTF is... and background gameplay in the AMA videos so what the hell, I might dip into it.

Activated Node
    I don't know how long ago you tried it but the tutorial was updated on January 6th as the old one was quite outdated.

Annoying/trolling players are of course inevitable in a multiplayer game but those should be a minority. Anyway, if we can get even just 4-6 players in, we can have games without randoms and thus avoid this problem.

Hope you will have a better experience if you decide to get back in.

Banned
    Count me in, long time player!

Activated Node
    Apparently new factions will not be created anymore as Carbon will add a way to create factions ingame in the next patch. Creating a faction will require a vip account and x ammount of diamonds(joining a faction is free of course). I will be able to create one if we can find enough players who are interested. I'm not sure if there will also be a minimum player requirement for creating a faction.

Anyway, I'll be back when the next patch comes so we'll have some more details on the whole system. In the mean while, if you're interested in joining an RPS faction, let me know here.

Activated Node
    Ok, so the new patch is here.

I went ahead and created the RockPaperSamson faction for us. Patrick and Epic(and anybody else who is interested) please post your ingame names so I can send you an invitation.

Banned
    Brightside

Activated Node
    Hello again.

I decided to pop my head up and see if I can get any more RPSers interested in trying the game out. Although it's been quite a while since last time I posted, I have continued to play airmech almost every day so the faction is still very much open to anybody interested.

The game is still in beta and has had tons of patches in these last few months adding new units and game modes as well as just refining the rules and mechanics to better balance the game. And just a few hours ago they added the long awaited parts system which allows you to customize your airmechs with different parts(engine/weapons etc). This is only the first phase of the system with limited parts, but in future patches this will of course be fleshed out.

Definitely an exciting time for Airmech and a great opportunity for new players to hop in. If you're interested in joining the faction, just post your ingame name here and I will send you an invitation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I started playing Airmech recently - no idea if I'm sticking around long enough to team-up but if anyone wants my 'referral' credits, first player name I see in here, gets it :)

Activated Node
    Well I will gladly take it if you can't think of a better way to use it.;) My ingame name is Poppis. And if you are interested in learning some of the basics of the game(loadouts/pilots, basic strategy or tips on how to spend your first kudos') feel free to add me as friend in game.