Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Wait no one went undead? I always think they're a solid team at tv1000, with two big guys with no nega, a bit of block and dodge and disposable linemen they are great for beginners (and i think they look cool :-( )

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    The humans also forwent some TRRs (and any catchers) in favour of taking the big guy. As the only big guy in the tournament it could be to his advantage, but the rest of the roster might not cope with that sacrifice.
    The Lizards have a Krox so there are two Big Guys knocking around, though a Krox on a rookie Lizard team could be interesting as that's only 2 TRRs so they are going to be spitting Turnovers all over the shop. If they get a squishy team and some luck on the punching, they could be pretty fearsome as they've got 7 ST4+ players.

If you search for tgs in the league search you can have a look at the teams, I still have no idea why TotalBiscuit put 60k into fan factor rather than buying an apothecary or upgrading a player into a Bull Centaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I doubt anyone is expecting a masterclass in this tournament (especially anyone familiar with Jesse Cox's videos)
    I am so happy Jesse took WElfs, I just hope he works out how to use leap quickly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Screwie - The "2 reroll, Ogre, no catchers" build is pretty standard and it's how I start all my human teams. In a 7 game league full of new players there won't be a lot of guard around so the Ogre could actually wreck some face. And hey - when you don't have many rerolls you don't care about loner!

@Phish - What the others said. I like the commentators and it's fun working out who might do well. But yes, they are likely to make lots of mistakes. Frankly though, I doubt that any of them will make a mistake on a par with the one I made yesterday, where I forgot which of my treemen had break tackle and tried to dodge with the other one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkmair View Post
    If you search for tgs in the league search you can have a look at the teams, I still have no idea why TotalBiscuit put 60k into fan factor rather than buying an apothecary or upgrading a player into a Bull Centaur.
    Good god.
    Although if his only experience is from way back or if he's reading an older "how to make a team" guide I could see it. You used to have to put a bit of money by for FF.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkmair View Post
    TB is one of the ones who played before at some point, I would hazard he isn't aware of the changes to Fan Factor in the recent rules.

If Angry Joe has played before he might be in with a good shot. On the other hand, depending on how much practice they get in the more beginner friendly teams could prove strong. Although Dodger is up against the C. Dorfs first game. That should be painful.

I may well have been doing it wrong before then, as I just dumped whatever gold was left over into fan factor in the older versions of the rules, at most my teams started with around 2 or 3 fan factor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I miss the old Fan Factor rules, too :(

Although getting +2 FAME does mean you can pinch all those kick-off rerolls, too.

I don't even know what fan factor does other than bloat my TV and occasionally get me a reroll on kickoff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It makes you more likely to win +1 or +2 FAME for the game. FAME affects winnings, and also affects kick off events - throw a rock, pitch invasion, cheering fans (I think).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Yeah, pages 18 + 19 in the rules: 2d6 + fan factor x 1000 gives you the number of fans that turn up, if you're the same or lower than your opponent you get 0 FAME, more gives you +1 FAME, double gives you +2. Cheering fans is d3 + FAME + cheerleaders, highest gets a reroll. Brilliant coaching is d3 + FAME + assistant coaches, highest gets a reroll. Throw a rock is d6 + FAME, lowest gets a rock thrown at a random player. Pitch invasion is roll d6 + FAME for each opposing player, 6+ = stunned 1 = no effect.

For clarity: 2D6 + FF * 1000 = number of your fans in attendance. FAME starts at 0, but if you have more fans than your opponent, +1 FAME. If you have more than twice the fans, +2 FAME.

FAME affects some kick-off results, and adds +10k/+20k to your D6 * 10k takings from the match.

Although it (either Fan Factor directly, or FAME) used to affect your takings a whole lot more than that, iirc.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Here's the brief exert from the amazon vs lizardmen training match.

I'd have put money on amazons being the best starting team (solid lineup, lots of re-rolls and loads of skills make for a fairly noob friendly team) but I don't know if anyone beyond tb or joe will have played more than a couple of games against the AI before diving into things.

Could get messy fast.

In short leagues like this I'd usually tip the skill heavy teams for the lead though we are seeing a lack of re-rolls in general I think.

I think it might have been a good idea for the coaches to at least read the rulebook once...

It did amuse me when Dodger was referring to failed dodge rolls as attacks of opportunity, but yeah even a basic idea of how the game works would be a good idea.

Network Hub

Pretty painful on one side of the coin (should be obvious from the first turn or so). But on the other side, Sidestrafe has the makings of a pretty good BB player in my eyes.

This pretty much sums the game up, as they are setting up:

Cox: Ohhh, this is the turn-based mode!
    Jesse is in for some very stiff lessons.

Yeah making his first move a one dice block when he doesn't have the block skill and his opponent does, while not knowing what both down does, suggest he hasn't checked the rules. The other guy's being a dick though and not explaining even afterwards.

The dodging into 3 TZs for a 2D-against Block, that the other player then picked Push and not Skull was by far the best moment. I stopped watching at that point :\