Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I should also state that I am a huge TB fan. This is the guy who got me addicted to Starcraft (whoops, there goes 18 months of my life), and I've started to watch his DoTA videos too...

And hey - he's new to the game. Hopefully he'll play it, enjoy it and continue to cover it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I don't think he's new to it, I think he just forgets a bit how to play it. The guys job is playing games and he says himself he rarely gets to play games for a long period.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    True, but every time he blitzes with a big guy without realising that the block takes a square of movement I wince.
    That used to catch me out bigtime.

While we're on that topic, does frenzy use two movement or just one when you blitz? I still haven't worked it out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Two I believe, but in two parts. I'm sure I've seen a Frenzy player fail a GFI on their follow-up after the first block.

(Although now loading the rulebook to check again!)

EDIT: Okay so yes, 2 squares. On a Blitz, pay one square of movement for the first block, follow up for free, pay a second square for the second block, follow up for free (if all goes to plan).
    Last edited by Screwie; 31-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.

well if you were at the end of your movement range it will roll a gfi for each frenzy block though not both at the start so you only need to do the second GFI roll if you don't knock them over.

So in answer to your question I'm pretty sure you only lose 1 square of movement for each block rather than it automatically being 2 even if you knock them over on the first attempt.

Thanks guys. That explains why I'm burning so many re-rolls with frenzy players. I thought it was only the first block you had to pay for. But what happens if you use all your moves (including GFIs) to get your first block? Do you get a free square at the end?

nope you only get one block

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Also if you use your 2nd gfi to make the first frenzy block then you wont have to make the 2nd should you only want to attack once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    More biscuity goodness.

It's an introduction video to the upcoming tournament TB will be participating in. Just a quick rehash of the rules and all the players saying hello. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

Network Hub
    Most of them are very new to the game, so I feel like it might be kind of painful for more experienced players to watch. Hopefully it should be interesting for people new to the game though, and maybe if you know/like any of the personalities you might find something to entertain you.

It could also be cool to see them improve over time, given that its a 7 week competition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I liked Angry Joe's introduction. Also he seemed to have some idea of how his team works, so I think he might win.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No orcs. Bonus...

I think the advantage will go to the teams who have invested in TRRs. TB's chaos dwarfs, Dodger's amazons and Completionist's norse definitely have more then the rest, even if they also took apothecaries. All three teams also have an excellent blocking base.

Although elves cope well with less, and both elf teams have 2 TRRs and solid starting lineups with all their best players in - minus the possible apothecary, which would make things a bit tougher for them.

Angry Joe's team might run into problems with 2 TRRs and no ghouls, but it could also work out okay for him.

(Possible TRRs calculated from starting roster costs.)

Necro are pretty horrible to begin with, rookie wolves are natural born re-roll eaters and there are no ball handling skills anywhere. With no Ghouls there's no dodge, so all it'll take is a bit of marking/screening and you'll be in deep trouble - 3 re-rolls is pretty much the minimum they need, so 2 is definitely pushing it. I think TB may have some difficulty too, lots of re-rolls is a good thing but I'm not sure he's going to get enough matches in to be able to afford Bull Centaurs and skill them up enough to be really dangerous.

I reckon the Amazon's will be the ones with the best shot of the win, providing the dwarfs don't massacre them in their game. Humans could do well too. Elfs are naturally terrifying, but if you're not used to handling them you can easily get overconfident and start losing matches and players (least that's what always happens to me).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If that girl (Dodger?) knows how to play even a little bit then she has a great advantage with her team choice. It worried me however that she described her team as "fast" and "good at dodging", when the first is simply not true and the second is not the best way to play 'zons.

Humans might also do well - I think the coach went for a sensible build too, but I couldn't tell precisely. I saw Ogre-blitzers-thrower but no catchers, so 2 TRRs?

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    If that girl (Dodger?) knows how to play even a little bit then she has a great advantage with her team choice. It worried me however that she described her team as "fast" and "good at dodging", when the first is simply not true and the second is not the best way to play 'zons.

Humans might also do well - I think the coach went for a sensible build too, but I couldn't tell precisely. I saw Ogre-blitzers-thrower but no catchers, so 2 TRRs?
    I noticed the exact same thing with the amazon girl, so assumed she didn't know the game well. They're not that good at dodging (mostly what they're good at is not being knocked down by rookie teams) and with 6 move throughout the team they're actively slow.

The Human guy basically read out the in-game flavour text team description, which claims they're jacks of all trades and can switch up their playstyle at a moment's notice. I suppose that's true if you're Alastair Hutton, but I've played Al Hutton and he, sir, is no Al Hutton.
    You need to know what you're doing with humans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Gentlemen, you're all reading way too much into this.

The majority of the people playing in this league had no previous idea what blood bowl was before TB mentioned to them and his idea of setting up a league. Several of them didn't know it was a video game or a board game.

This is an excuse for them all to make videos, have some fun and possibly attract more viewers to their channels, not actually who can win or who has the best team or can afford to make their bull centaurs dangerous. They probably just picked them based off descriptions in game, looking cool or five minutes of wiki'ing around.

Anyone expecting top notch play is going to be horribly let down as you sit watching two brand new players to the game make bad block choices and more. But viewers of the channels will enjoy hearing the running commentary from the coaches as they muck up or do well.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    The Human guy basically read out the in-game flavour text team description, which claims they're jacks of all trades and can switch up their playstyle at a moment's notice. I suppose that's true if you're Alastair Hutton, but I've played Al Hutton and he, sir, is no Al Hutton.

You need to know what you're doing with humans.
    The humans also forwent some TRRs (and any catchers) in favour of taking the big guy. As the only big guy in the tournament it could be to his advantage, but the rest of the roster might not cope with that sacrifice.

I've never seen a CD roster setup like the one TB is using. It'll be interesting to see how he copes with relying on hobgoblins.

I remember from previous videos, TB and Angry Joe certainly have long-term BB experience. I've seen Jesse, Crendor and Dodger before but can't speak to how familiar they are with the game. No idea on the other three.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Gentlemen, you're all reading way too much into this.
    JP, I'm not sure what your point is? I doubt anyone is expecting a masterclass in this tournament (especially anyone familiar with Jesse Cox's videos) but we can still appreciate it. Talking about the tournament in the context of our collective range of experience is just us engaging with it and enjoying it.
    Last edited by Screwie; 06-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.

I believe you are the one who misunderstands.
    I want to get the most out of this by betting on who will win based on "clues" gleaned from these videos. I don't believe any of us expect top notch play - but any of these players who has ever played the game before will have a massive advantage over the others, as the rules, particularly as presented by the Cyanide UI, are rather obtuse and unintuitive.
    I get the impression that's what some of the others are doing too - trying to work out who's got the best chance of winning based on team choice and their intros (and in Screwie's case, by trying to infer how many rerolls they've chosen).

One guy took dark elves, which should be a rather nice choice, but I don't think he's ever played before and they're not overly rookie friendly despite ag4. One guy took wood elves and described them as "mighty" so I think we might get to see a lot of elves get hurt, which never gets old.

It's also yet another excuse to talk blood bowl theories in a blood bowl thread.

I started my CDs with one horsey man, 6 dorfs, 4 rerolls, and fill in the rest with cheap expendable hobgoblins. I'm pretty sure I just copied Coach's "reroll heavy Chaos Dwarf starting lineup". It seemed to work pretty well; I'd do the same if I were starting again. The hobgoblins are ridiculously good for the money, and having a decent amount of move 6 on the team plus a couple of mobile bullcentaurs (especially if you give them break tackle) makes a big difference over the mind numbing awfulness of stock dwarfs. Also: mutations.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 06-02-2013 at 10:53 AM.