Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Another train wreck:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Yeah making his first move a one dice block when he doesn't have the block skill and his opponent does, while not knowing what both down does, suggest he hasn't checked the rules. The other guy's being a dick though and not explaining even afterwards.
    This seems to be a theme, judging by that lizard game just above. Deliberately watches the new player make the same pointless mistakes over and over, waits until the game's about to finish, and then tells him what go for its are.

You can't do that and not be a prick.

Network Hub
    They've all known about the league for weeks, they've all had ample time to familiarise themselves with the game and the rules. I fail to see how the onus is on either Crendor or Sidestrafe to make up for their opponents shortcomings.
    Last edited by Web Cole; 11-02-2013 at 11:29 AM.

In a friendly sure you'd tell them what the are doing wrong, but its a tournament I'm sure most people would take the easier win and tell them what they were doing wrong after the game you don't want to loose because you told them how to beat you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    It's also a league with 7 games, one a week. There's plenty of opportunity for the new players to go back and learn the rules, up their game, and get back in the running. They're only one defeat behind.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    If train wrecks make for better viewing figures for their videos ... they'll be quite happy to keep showing train wrecks.

This is a bunch of newbies and one or two experienced players having a go at the game. Not a masterclass in good play.

At least entertaining from the "at least I'm not as bad as that!" point of view.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    If train wrecks make for better viewing figures for their videos ... they'll be quite happy to keep showing train wrecks.

This is a bunch of newbies and one or two experienced players having a go at the game. Not a masterclass in good play.

At least entertaining from the "at least I'm not as bad as that!" point of view.
    I wouldn't expect the bad players to improve too much. As I said earlier, people watch these guys for their commentary and antics, not because they wan't to see Jessie and Crendor play a serious 1 hour long game of blood bowl as if the outcome mattered. That game where Crendor whomps the other guy is going to get great viewings and so will others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Felt a bit sorry for Dodger last night. Had to turn it off after 6 turns.

Network Hub
    I think we will see improvement tbh. Dodger is pretty competitive and has been playing quite a lot already (although I think her game against TB went badly) and even Jesse said on twitter that he would try.

Another train wreck, but this time it's largely Nuffle to blame rather than a lack of knowledge of the rules.

Not really, TBs dice were about what you'd expect I think - it was poor positioning on Dodger's part to let TB get all those blocks in that caused the injuries. Hardly her fault though, positioning is really hard to learn, to begin with it just feels right to run into base to base contact even though with 'zons vs. any kind of dwarf that's really the worse thing you could do.

Network Hub
    Well that was brutal. At least there was only one career ending injury. If death counts as an injury... :P
    Last edited by Web Cole; 12-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Yeah I've not really been able to watch these, too painful.

Tis a shame that the steep learning curve seems to be defeating a lot of them, that and I don't think they've received much real coaching (besides a few tips and practice games) beforehand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    That was a much better video. He was doing his best to explain the game, and also she'd clearly been doing some research/practice. I don't think she had any turnovers due to trying stupid stuff - she was just unlucky to be up against amazon kryptonite in the form of chaos dwarfs, and she didn't have the experience to mitigate it. She ought to do pretty well against some of the idiot players in their league who do a one die blitz as their first and indeed only move, especially as I think TB's team is the only one with tackle in the whole competition.

In related news, my rookie human team was brutalised by some amazons in FOL last night. Couldn't stop rolling defender stumbles, and neither could they. One MNG, one dead blitzer, one retired team. With any kind of luck with the dice she'll brutalise the other rookie teams with her amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Yeah I've not really been able to watch these, too painful.

Tis a shame that the steep learning curve seems to be defeating a lot of them, that and I don't think they've received much real coaching (besides a few tips and practice games) beforehand.
    Aye that is BB's biggest problem with attracting and keeping new players a extremely steep and unforgiving initial learning curve combined with a rather poor in game tutorial.

In lieu of a tutorial, a more comprehensive warning/pop-up system loaded with information - the sort of thing common in most turn-based strategy games - would have been nice.

Imagine as your mouse glides onto your target square, instantly you're told whether your location would allow you to assist in blocks or fouls, and your effective ST against blocks. More than that - every dodge/GFI roll required to get there would pop-up in its own target square, complete with the required dice roll and modifiers, and all relevant skills (yours and your opponents).

You could go even further and highlight the squares that are good for assists, as suggested targets for movement - or when you activate blitz, it could instantly show you every dice block combo from every reachable square...

...Damn, sorry. Daydreaming again.

---

Yeah I think Dodger will bounce back from this. Unless other teams level quickly enough to grab some Tackle, her amazons will have a decent advantage for much of the rest of the tournament.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    TB makes a good point at the start of the video - Cyanide is bad at everything - like giving you useful information that could help you out.

As a side note, when Dodger used her Apoc to heal a KO on the first turn, I did cringe mightily.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Oh dear god. OH DEAR GOD!

Dodger made common mistakes, but the biggest was having no strategy in place to counter the Chaos Dwarf team, and the thing is, I'm not even sure there is one for an early Amazon team. I guess she should have tried a passing game because it would have at least earned some skillpoints.

Nice to hear Biscuit explaining the intricacies of the rules as we go along.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    TB makes a good point at the start of the video - Cyanide is bad at everything - like giving you useful information that could help you out.

As a side note, when Dodger used her Apoc to heal a KO on the first turn, I did cringe mightily.
    To be fair though, it would inevitably have turned that death result into death, or a career ending injury at best. The Apoc always lets you down.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    To be fair though, it would inevitably have turned that death result into death, or a career ending injury at best. The Apoc always lets you down.
    I would love it if, when you hired extra Apoths, you could pile their rerolls all onto a single injury roll as needed - in other words, like how multiple bribes work. It would be as if all the doctors teaming up to save the patient. I'd also be more inclined to hire them.

Hmm, are bribes the only dice rolls in the game that can be rerolled more than once?