Another One Bites The Dust - Atari files for bankruptcy

Should pop up on the main page any minute I guess.

Atari, creator of arcade classics Pong and Asteroids, has filed a petition for bankruptcy.

That's according to a new report by the L.A. Times, which claims that Atari's North American arm has filed the petition in a bid to rid itself of its debt-addled French parent company.

Atari is, globally, not doing very well. Revenues have fallen sharply for two years running, profits have been small and its share price is now worth less than one euro, Polygon reports.

It is this mess that Atari's US division is now trying to flee from - and its parent company's reliance on a London-based credit firm for cash.

Atari US hopes that by filing for bankruptcy it can "break free" and be reborn as a new company, focusing on mobile and digital platforms with little or none of its parent company's debt.

Atari is currently working on a new Pong game with Zynga, plus mobile versions of Rollercoaster Tycoon, Dungeons and Dragons, Centipede: Origins and Outlaw.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...for-bankruptcy
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I think Atari already died a couple of times. It has name recognition, so it's probably not going to end up "really" dead for at least another decade or two, even if this restructuring doesn't pan out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    So will they be burying a bunch of DVDs or servers in a concrete tomb in a landfill this time?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    This is so unsurprising, I suspected something was up when the PC port of Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends took almost my entire life to show up. Also the last Atari game I've played, Test Drive Unlimited 2, also faced problems (such as Atari fucking over Eden Games) so, yeah. I have been saying for a while that it's insane that THQ was going down the pan yet Atari was still going, not to say I want to see Atari die (because I don't, as that helps no one) but at least THQ published some truly brilliant games.

Also, Centipede: Origins? Is that a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Also, Centipede: Origins? Is that a joke?
    Surely it would have been free-2-play.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I think the last time I had anything to do with Atari was when I bought Boiling Point, which they published. Have they done much of anything in PC gaming recently?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I think the last time I had anything to do with Atari was when I bought Boiling Point, which they published. Have they done much of anything in PC gaming recently?
    If memory serves, they were the first company to sign with GoG. Although, that was probably the parent company, not Atari US.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The Blade runner curse cannot be escaped. Expect no product placement in the sequel.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Coca-Cola is still alive and kicking.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    So this is the firm Steve Jobs once worked for, the unhappy experience made him despise game console business...... at least that's the rumor.

So seriously, what's the loss to the industry? Not to mention that it's just a set back. It's very unlikely this firm will die anyway.

This brand is only memorable to old guys, really.

Again?

Code:
    FACT-CHECKING BEGIN
    ...Oh they were first sold to a Jack Tramiel, and then reverse merged with JTS. So this is technically the first time they've actually gone bankrupt.

They'll probably find another buyer and the cycle will continue.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    This brand is only memorable to old guys, really.
    Should be a while before most of them are too old to buy games though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    So this is the firm Steve Jobs once worked for, the unhappy experience made him despise game console business...... at least that's the rumor.

So seriously, what's the loss to the industry?
    I would class that as a net positive.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Hopefully Eden Studios (or what's left of it) will be picked up by someone else who are not complete idiots

Atari as a game maker became unimportant long ago but the name still carries a lot of weight. Somebody will probably use that name eventually although original people are long gone from the company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Atari is currently working on a new Pong game with Zynga"
    That sounds like everything wrong with the industry right now. I don't think there is a single word in that sentence that would be termed "good". :P

Network Hub
    Atari's time to go has come. They haven't done much good recently. It would good to welcome other developers and studios to take their place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Honestly didn't know they were still trading. They'll probably enter an Amiga-name-like undeath, being passed around desperate companies like cheap cigarettes in a prison yard. Can't say I have any feelings about it either way, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Atari has done this before.

File for bankruptcy and sell everything off. The 'brand' goes somewhere, whilst the developing and publishing side of things falls.

Bankruptcy frees you from some debts:
    Developers do not get the money the money they have been contracted for if it's due in future payments. Which means small developers published through Atari may have made games they'll never be paid for. This can ruin small devs.
    Everything is sold off, but none of that goes to employees. Instead, employees are sacked without redundancy.

Top managerial staff will simply move on, or maybe just stay with whatever Atari becomes. Shareholders do fine: They get a lot of cash from the sale of the brand.

This will be the third time Atari's done this. It's an absolutely disgusting practice. Deliberately taking on debt they cannot meet under the safe knowledge that they can fuck over employees and contractors because the money to be made from the brand will save the shareholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    "Atari is currently working on a new Pong game with Zynga"
    That sounds like everything wrong with the industry right now. I don't think there is a single word in that sentence that would be termed "good". :P
    "working"? :-p