Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    GPG is dead, sure the corpse is still twitching, but don't mistake that for life. Even if they get the Kickstarter funding for Wildman, the chances of the game seeing the light of day look increasingly slim.

Network Hub
    Their only good game was SupCom, everything else has been shit and they ruined SupCom 2 turning it into some dumbed down shit...

GOOD RIDDANCE GPG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walincas View Post
    The reason im risking it, is not only because of Wildman, but because I would like PC games to improve overall and in my book, GPG improved PC gaming immensely with Total Annihilation, Supcom and dungeon siege and I would like to see more solid games from them in the future.
    I loved both of them, but GPG needs to die. Taylor screwed up. Lately they've produced nothing of note, and I see no signs of it improving. Taylor would have known for a while now that GPG were in dire trouble and that they needed money to stay afloat. This Kickstarter is a desperate grab for cash which will not save them. Their entire campaign now relies on people donating well beyond the asking amount and playing up the "Don't let the employees go hungry!" card. Poor planning and management should not be rewarded with money.

It's horrible for the employees and it sucks that they will lose their jobs and have to find other places of work (regardless of the Kickstarter, just watch, GPG is finished) but it's better to let them go to work at other companies or perhaps try to make it on their own.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There is also overhead in addition to salary. If they are running lean % wise it will not be to much of an percentage.

I am surprise they did not get on developing tablet RTS. Room in that market for a good quality one.

They seem to be able to produce a game every 1-2 years which is pretty good. But it seems they did not get much return from AoE Online and SupCom2. They probably should have let employees go ages ago as they reorganized for their future titles.

I'm backing them myself. The situation isn't ideal, that's for sure - but for me, it's all about the game. Theme wise, it's similar to something I've wanted for a while and I enjoy me some hack'n'slash, so that's a bonus.

While their recent efforts haven't been great, the last game of theirs I enjoyed being Dungeon Siege (although I have SC2 that I've not got around to yet), I can spare the cash on a gamble, possibly help keep some people in work they enjoy and the remaining staff seem passionate and involved, which is good to see.

There are many many questions to be answered though, and I completely understand peoples reluctance for so many reasons to back this project, even I've had my doubts. Maybe this is the kick up the backside they need to pull something great out the bag? We'll see how it ends up!
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    Maybe this is the kick up the backside they need to pull something great out the bag? We'll see how it ends up!
    Without a publisher this time around, it's really going to be a do or die attempt to create a game of pure awesomeness.

Read through GPG's forums as well yesterday, and it some of GPG's employees returned monday to continue working (for free) because they would like to keep their company and workplace alive.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I loved both of them, but GPG needs to die. Taylor screwed up. Lately they've produced nothing of note, and I see no signs of it improving. Taylor would have known for a while now that GPG were in dire trouble and that they needed money to stay afloat. This Kickstarter is a desperate grab for cash which will not save them. Their entire campaign now relies on people donating well beyond the asking amount and playing up the "Don't let the employees go hungry!" card. Poor planning and management should not be rewarded with money.

It's horrible for the employees and it sucks that they will lose their jobs and have to find other places of work (regardless of the Kickstarter, just watch, GPG is finished) but it's better to let them go to work at other companies or perhaps try to make it on their own.
    I agree with your views regarding their latest games, spacesiege and supcom2, neither game was at all what I had hoped. Dungeon Siege 3 on the other hand, was not DEV'ed by GPG, but by Obsidian entertaintment.

I actually thought Demigod was quite good - the problem with Demigod, was that GPG were not in control of the serverside, which resulted in an experience of mixed stability and latency.

The signs of improvement, in my eyes, is the kickstarter. For the first time they get a shot at creating a game without interference or restrictions from a publisher - a scenario they have not been in since TA, DS1, DS2, SC and SC FA.

One of the GPG Dev's on GPG's forum went beyound the normal call of duty and wrote on the forum, that the games GPG have been involved with, where GPG had free reigns, are the games we/most gamers think are awesome.

So the sign of improvement, is frankly staring us in the face, the chrisis GPG is going through, will - if they survive - enable them to engage with their customers instead of the "the suits, at the publisher house".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also, that 15+ years of experience includes:
    Demigod
    Space Siege
    Supreme Commander 2
    Dungeon Siege 3
    Wait, what? DS 3 was made by Obsidian, right? And it was a decent game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Wait, what? DS 3 was made by Obsidian, right? And it was a decent game.
    Right, Obsidian.

Preferred DS 1 and 2 though..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walincas View Post
    Right, Obsidian.

Preferred DS 1 and 2 though..
    Woopsies. I was just copy-pasting stuff from Chris Taylor's wiki-page. Might have typo'd.

And DS3 was okay, but it wasn't really an action-rpg in the Diablo/DS style. Was more Amalur'y if anything.

AH. He is credited as a "designer", but that might just be a legacy credit thing. Either way, I'll still give him some of the blame since people tend to forget the teams in most cases anyway.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Woopsies. I was just copy-pasting stuff from Chris Taylor's wiki-page. Might have typo'd.

And DS3 was okay, but it wasn't really an action-rpg in the Diablo/DS style. Was more Amalur'y if anything.

AH. He is credited as a "designer", but that might just be a legacy credit thing. Either way, I'll still give him some of the blame since people tend to forget the teams in most cases anyway.
    As well you should, he was "creative consultant". Meaning Squeeenix asked about Obsidian, and he said those guys were awesome and he were glad/confident they were up to the task..

The game in and of it self is not bad, it's just ala SupCom 2 - not very much like it's predecessors..