Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

'From Dust' DRM to be removed in the next 2 weeks

As seen on the ubi forum from forum manager

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...9/m/1511052349

<table class="ev_msg_rowcolor2" id="post_1511052349" align="center" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="ev_msg_userinfo">
    </td><td> <table class="ev_msg_table" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="ev_msg_posticon"></td> <td class="ev_msg_timestamp">Posted <nobr>Mon August 22 2011 11:26</nobr> <noscript>Mon August 22 2011 11:26</noscript> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Our tech teams are working on a patch that should release in approximately two weeks that will eliminate the need for any online authentication. This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who’s progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally. Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100% offline.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Amusing to see there's still a guy demanding a refund due to the 'affront'.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, thats really good news!.

It was a bad idea, since singleplayer games is what people play wen is offline, and a game like From Dust could be very nice to have in a laptop, while you travel.

Last edited by Tei; 22-08-2011 at 08:26 PM.

By "eliminate the need for any online authentication" I assume they mean that they will restrict access to the game so you can only play if you log in from one IP address, and if you have a dynamic IP or attempt to access from elsewhere you will be denied?

I'm impressed. DRM at launch of the title, and removal later seems like a nice solution to the whole debate.

Don't care.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Squid View Post
    I'm impressed. DRM at launch of the title, and removal later seems like a nice solution to the whole debate.
    Indeed. If they always did this, they could frankly do whatever they wanted DRM-wise for the first two weeks and those of us concerned about such things could simply wait to get the game. Unfortunately, you never know when or if a publisher is going to decide to this, so you never know when/if it'll be safe to pick up a game with problematic DRM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Yay! :) I might get this someday, if this is the case. (It seems like a good on-the-bus game, but I hate having to start and game and alt-tab out before leaving work/home, because half the time it seems to lock up when it goes to sleep).

I hope this proves true, and I also hope we can have a 15-page discussion involving lava as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Squid View Post
    Agreed. Needless to say no doubt many will still be splitting blood over this 5 years from now, but thankfully the rest of us can move on.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Agreed. Needless to say no doubt many will still be splitting blood over this 5 years from now, but thankfully the rest of us can move on.
    Your ability to misinterprate things is beautiful. :)

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Unfortunately, you never know when or if a publisher is going to decide to this, so you never know when/if it'll be safe to pick up a game with problematic DRM.
    And this is why I don't care. I have better things to do with my time than follow the will-they-won't-they dance Ubisoft has going on here with each and every release. Until they settle on a consistent approach (that I find acceptable) their titles will be occluded from my sight by the same cultivated blind spot as afflicts, for example, games published exclusively on platforms I have no interest in such as iOS. Takes work to sink that low, but Ubisoft have certainly earned it.
    Last edited by Rii; 22-08-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Donjonson View Post
    [Pictures...]
    Damn it, I thought that was one of those cross-eyed 3d pictures which would allow me to see a finger with 'poke' written on it in 3d. I don't even know why I even tried..

Apologies to all for going OT here: -

Quote Originally Posted by lejosh View Post
    Your ability to misinterprate things is beautiful. :)
    IIRC you were the guy who originally posted about how Valve were going to refund everyone who bought From Dust over the weekend. A post which was in fact turned out to be a complete fabrication. So let's not get into misinterpretation.

Also perhaps in your rush to go off topic on me (rather than responding the the OPS news like everyone else) you might of missed this post by Jim: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...iscussion-Only

I have zero interest in 'forum wars' outside of the topic at hand, whether that be the relative worth of RPGs, The likely impact of the next console generation on gaming, or the DRM scheme of a particular title, etc, etc. Most of the people in my forum friends list I disagree on issues with all the time. simply because I disagree with them on issues though, doesn't mean they somehow become my enemies whom I must challenge at any given opportunity.

If your first reaction when simply seeing a post with my name next to it, is to head to 'personal affront' you're wasting your time, my time and the time of anyone else reading the forum. Don't do it.

Back to On topic please.

@Don

Merely a comment on the unforgiving elephant nature of gamers. There are still people out there who bemoan the few hours Steam went out 5 years back.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 22-08-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    Good news. Has there been any news on a patch to fix the mouse scrolling problem I've been hearing a lot about? Or even a hotfix from the community?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The mouse scrolling problem comes from the decision to make the cursor a character in the world. It's not a problem if you spend two minutes getting used to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Indeed. If they always did this, they could frankly do whatever they wanted DRM-wise for the first two weeks and those of us concerned about such things could simply wait to get the game. Unfortunately, you never know when or if a publisher is going to decide to this, so you never know when/if it'll be safe to pick up a game with problematic DRM.
    Exactly.

Whilst this is marginally good news (and I'm now very likely to buy this game in the next sale I see it in. Unlike, say, Assassin's Creed). It comes as a response to a mistake, it's not an ongoing strategy. I'd love it if it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Merely a comment on the unforgiving elephant nature of gamers. There are still people out there who bemoan the few hours Steam went out 5 years back.
    I'm sure Valve would love for everyone to forget how they got Steam off the ground and concentrate on hating EA for Origin. Alas, there are some of us who remember and consequently wonder why we should.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It comes as a response to a mistake, it's not an ongoing strategy. I'd love it if it were.
    Yeah. This is damage control rather than policy. The likelihood of it affecting future decisions is just about nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I'm sure Valve would love for everyone to forget how they got Steam off the ground and concentrate on hating EA for Origin. Alas, there are some of us who remember and consequently wonder why we should.
    Rii it's not a case of forgetting, it's a case of learning to recognize that time has moved on and it serves no great purpose to hold the future hostage to the past. Steam as a whole went down for a few hours once, but since then it's been up for a hell of a lot more no? Given the complexity and scope of the entire operation the fact that it's not gone down more is pretty impressive tbh.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 23-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Probable Replicant