Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[I want a] Battle For Middle Earth 3

but not by EA, they have proven time and time again that they are made of suck.

However, the Generals engine was fucking awesome. I cant remember having seen such "mass infantry flying around" as in that engine. (I think it was Generals, Zero Hour, CnC3, BFME 1 & 2, anything else?)

So now the question is: what is there to scratch that itch of highly entertaining, good looking mass infantry abuse? the Relic games come close, but they are too "close up", I want my strategy games to be about strategy, not tactics, damnit.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    There's a Medieval 2 mod that should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    There's a Medieval 2 mod that should do it.
    hm. Total war, you mean? I liked Shogun 2's latest expansion, but still. In BFME you had that very enjoyable ability to skill and outfit your soldiers in a single fight, it was way ahead of Dawn Of War that way, without having to "zoom in". Also, Ork spam is fun!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I want Half Life 3,and Chaos Theory 2..
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

BFME games had some good ideas but honestly, they weren't that good. Might give the 2 a run though, got the discs here somewhere. Anyone know if it'll actually work with modern systems?
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Personally found BFME much better then the sequel. It's fixed structures encouraged a war over territory and a tactical match up ala COH whereas II was just a reskinned common or garden RTS. Balance was better in the first one as well. It was a very good RTS, which used it's license well, on a par with Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations although they got more points from me because they did it well before BFME did. Also the latter two had good single player campaigns whereas the BFME was throwaway, excellent comp stomp and multiplayer though.

I loved BFME, it became a staple of my strategy friends online/LAN gaming for a few years, it was never the most balanced of games, but still genuinely entertaining to play. I believe they're working on a browser game at the moment and doubt it will be any good.

Edit: Here's a link to the Hobbit tie-in strategy game
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    QuantaCat, did you just spell Middle-Earth Orcs with a "k"? (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Brief thread hijack -- I played a demo of one of the BFME games and it didn't enthrall me...but I've heard a lot of good things about them in the last, like, two months. Do other people agree with sonson that if I was going to pick one and try it, I would be well served to start with the first one?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    QuantaCat, did you just spell Middle-Earth Orcs with a "k"? (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Brief thread hijack -- I played a demo of one of the BFME games and it didn't enthrall me...but I've heard a lot of good things about them in the last, like, two months. Do other people agree with sonson that if I was going to pick one and try it, I would be well served to start with the first one?
    ..yes. but its almost impossble to get them legally, nowadays.
    - Tom De Roeck.

I had more fun with the first one, but I seem to recall that it had really poor support for higher resolutions, that's quite jarring because it feels really zoomed in.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I had more fun with the first one, but I seem to recall that it had really poor support for higher resolutions, that's quite jarring because it feels really zoomed in.
    Yeah, BFME 2 was better on many levels, especially with addon, but I still recommend the first one to him as it is a more concentrated game, and BFME 2 just had more options.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ..yes. but its almost impossble to get them legally, nowadays.
    And if I recall the last time I tried to reinstall BfME, it is not friendly with the new OSes and hardware anyway.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I reinstalled and it works fine for me!

They are very enjoyable games, Gandalfs word of power used to leave me in awe. They were great use of the licenses too, with voices and the music etc. Only thing that bugs me now is the unit scale doesn't look quite right. Ok I need to play them again.
    steam: sketch

Zero-K is quite good if you like games in the TA/SupCom vein, and it's actively developed, free and open source, moddable, has an active community, good design and balance philosophy, and some very interesting interface tweaks (lots of optional unit AI bits and automation). It's not as approachable as the Westwood-style games, but recommended if you love blowing up hordes of robots.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    However, the Generals engine was fucking awesome. I cant remember having seen such "mass infantry flying around" as in that engine. (I think it was Generals, Zero Hour, CnC3, BFME 1 & 2, anything else?)
    The multiplayer desynch "mismatch error" bug that doomed Generals/ZH and never got addressed really sank it for me. I spent a whole summer trying to puzzle that one out. It's a permanent black mark for EA, and they should never be forgiven for it.

To be fair, the middle earth setting was only good because they had either the original voices from the films, or good voice actors doing their voices.

Aside from that, Im not a fan of any fantasy.

Just that the game itself was so much fun. it had the classic RTS feeling, but still mass infantry movements and weapon upgrades per unit, etc.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Personally found BFME much better then the sequel. It's fixed structures encouraged a war over territory and a tactical match up ala COH whereas II was just a reskinned common or garden RTS. Balance was better in the first one as well. It was a very good RTS, which used it's license well, on a par with Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations although they got more points from me because they did it well before BFME did. Also the latter two had good single player campaigns whereas the BFME was throwaway, excellent comp stomp and multiplayer though.
    This mod aims to return the BFME1 bases into BFME 2 for it's newest version. Should be worth checking out.

And on Twitter

I vouch for Third Age Total War as well, awesome mod - if you're into the Total War franchise - hell, if you're into Middle Earth, this is one of the best immersion games you will get.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Wow that looks seriously good.

Can I bear reinstalling Medieval 2:TW (&Kingdoms) from about seventy three cds?