Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I liked the faction balancing better in BFME 1 and I hated the walls in BFME II. The idea of picking a site for my base and my walls was excellent, but the implementation wasn't. Walls went down too quickly compared to how much they cost in resources and time to put up. Which is a shame, because the idea of walls really added something for the BFME formula.

All-in-all, I think BFME II had better sub-systems but a less enjoyable high-level game (the customizable heroes and some of their powers were especially kick-ass). BFME is the only RTS I've played that I really enjoyed from moment to moment and I loved doing LAN and Internet games with/against my friends. Something about the way it was balanced and the fundamentals (unit formations, mixed-unit dynamics, etc) really hit the spot. Every RTS I've tried since has fallen short for me, though BFME II and Company of Heroes to a much lesser extent than most.

I came for the LOTR fix and stayed for everything else.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Know if that plays nicely with Steam?

Looks like it does:

Additional installation instructions only for Steam users:
    1. Install all parts of the mod as instructed above.
    2. Open "Steam/Steamapps/Common/Medieval II Total War/mods". There you will find all your installed Kingdoms campaigns as well as the "Third_Age_3" modfolder.
    3. Edit the name of one of the Kingdoms folders (americas, britannia, crusades, teutonic), preferably your least favorite campaign. The new name doesn't have to be anything specific.
    4. Change the name of the "Third_Age_3" folder to the former name of the Kingdoms folder you just edited. For example, if you edited the "americas" folder, the "Third_Age_3" folder should be named "americas".
    5. Select the appropriate campaign from the steam menu. If you renamed the "Third_Age_3" folder to "americas", select the americas campaign. If you named it "crusades", select the crusades campaign and so on.
    6. Steam will now launch the mod.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 24-01-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I loved the first BFME! Definitely agree about the limited structure placement.

I would also love a DoW3. THQ problems make me sad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post

Well there's hope with the DOW 3 regard in that Sega already have a professional relationship with Games Workshop (e.g. the recently announced Warhammer Creative Assembly game), it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine them going after the 40K license and allowing Relic to continue that series.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Well there's hope with the DOW 3 regard in that Sega already have a professional relationship with Games Workshop (e.g. the recently announced Warhammer Creative Assembly game), it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine them going after the 40K license and allowing Relic to continue that series.
    This fills me with joy!

Obscure Node
    I too enjoyed Battle for Middle Earth 2. It's one of those games that I rarely think about now but I do remember having some extremely long games on it that went into the very early hours of the morning. I'm tempted to reinstall!

Now if only I could remember whether it was the first or second game I used to play.

Edit : Looks like it was the second game, and dammit why you no' on Steam!
    Last edited by You; 24-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post

DoWIII was officially announced if I recall correctly and I really hope the whole THQ deal isn't effecting it.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Walincas View Post
    I vouch for Third Age Total War as well, awesome mod - if you're into the Total War franchise - hell, if you're into Middle Earth, this is one of the best immersion games you will get.
    I was impressed with it, especially the map. The locales were very immersive and the attention to detail on the various factions was pretty deep.

Right click and view image. The map itself is massive.

All of this reminds me of a Warhammer game, Dark Omen. Now that was awesome.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    It's always interesting to see people's perspectives on BFME 1 vs. the sequel. I vastly prefer the mechanics of BFME2, but I honestly wish they had thought of ways to iron out the first game's problems rather than throw their hands up and go in a more traditional direction.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Can I bear reinstalling Medieval 2:TW (&Kingdoms) from about seventy three cds?
    It's definitely worth it, Third Age is amazing! (I'm a huge fan of both LOTR and Total War games, so it's pretty much perfect).

As for BFME 1 vs 2: I think I actually preferred 2 (gotta love the Dwarves!), except, obviously, the building placement. The fixed camps/castles of the first game was a great idea, I wish they'd stuck with it for the second.

Edit:
    Walls went down too quickly compared to how much they cost in resources and time to put up. Which is a shame, because the idea of walls really added something for the BFME formula.
    This is exactly my opinion too. Done right, it could have been awesome. As it is, I never build walls (unless it's to distract the AI, which occasionally decides that a single wall hub is the most important target, giving you time to recover)
    Last edited by Edlennion; 24-01-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Activated Node
    vote here for The Return of the Lord of the Rings: Battle for Gog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    All of this reminds me of a Warhammer game, Dark Omen. Now that was awesome.
    I prefer Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I liked the games. The original was definitely my favorite though. It made Helm's Deep feel like Helm's Deep.