Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game: Subtitle

Hybrid View

Game: Subtitle

Having exhausted every possible game title, it's understandable that the industry often turns to subtitles to lend identity to their games. Sadly, the pool from which they draw them is distressingly shallow and increasingly overfished:

-Aftermath
    -Origins
    -Redemption
    -Resurrection
    -Revelations

That's it; that's all of them. There are literally no other subtitles used, ever.

Or are there? Did I forget any? I'll bet that I actually did, and that I'll kick my shins off as soon as I see them.

Well, fine, let's hear them then. Get it over with. Just remember the only rule is that it needs to have been used for at least 80 different games to qualify for the list.

After careful deliberation I have removed 'Reloaded,' since that's usually a cute euphemism for 'Version 2' (a somewhat ill-advised one, actually; they may as well use 'Torrent'). But I think that's it. Well, aside from 'Game of the Year Edition,' but that's also euphemistic; just a flowery way of saying 'Game.'

-Generations (to imply the game borrows from previous installations; a kind of "best of" or clash of different eras of one franchise)

[edit] would "Episode x" count as well?
    Last edited by c-Row; 23-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    -Generations (to imply the game borrows from previous installations; a kind of "best of" or clash of different eras of one franchise)
    *ambulance sounds*

I guess I should define the ones in my list too, since they tend to imply just as heavily:

-Aftermath ("direct sequel")
    -Origins ("unnecessary prequel")
    -Redemption ("the previous one was shit")
    -Resurrection ("remember?")
    -Revelations ("skip it unless you're playing for the story")

[edit] would "Episode x" count as well?
    No, I'm afraid there's a hidden clause that if 90% of a subtitle's use comes from the same company (in this case Telltale), it is summarily disqualified. I'm sorry :( It's to stop the same devs deliberately reusing them just to earn a place on this list, which is what Telltale are quite clearly doing and I'm not going to put up with it.
    Last edited by Gwilym; 23-01-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    How many games can you list for each of those subtitles? Because I can only come up with one.

I only have to glance at my steam library or the actual boxed games on the shelf beside me to see plenty of unique subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    How many games can you list for each of those subtitles? Because I can only come up with one.

I only have to glance at my steam library or the actual boxed games on the shelf beside me to see plenty of unique subtitles.
    Yeah, the gag fell apart a bit when I made the mistake of turning to Steam to try and bolster the list. There are actually plenty of one-offs, but I decided to deny them their existence altogether, since I was the author and I was going to wield that fact like some dreadful clubbing weapon.

Still, I can think of plenty for each... admittedly they're all names that also show up in movies and TV a lot, so I've probably subconsciously conflated them all and only about two of each of them will be for games. But let's see:

Aftermath: UFO, Battlefield 3, C&C Red Alert, ObsCure, um, Half-Life 2 for a while. And I've just cunningly drawn a colon in the middle of Project Aftermath, so that one too.
    Origin/s: we all know this list would crash the board and I'm not doing it I won't
    Redemption: VtM, Painkiller, Terminator, Headhunter, .hack, Red Dea:

I am having to think a bit harder than I expected, so I'll leave the others for our viewers at home to do. But clearly 6 is closer to 80 than it is to 1, so overall I think I've been vindicated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar

I'm guessing it's from seeing that Resident Evil: Revelations announcement thread, because that's certainly been used before (Ass Creed).

Origins was used for Dragon Age and Silent Hill as well, possibly more?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Also, how can you have Revelations but not Revolution(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Origins was used for Dragon Age and Silent Hill as well, possibly more?
    Spore, Rayman, F.E.A.R. 2 - not counting console/handheld only games.

You have to play more games. Trust me, I am not a doctor but I have seen one every now and then, and he would or wouldn't agree with me for sure.
    Last edited by c-Row; 23-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Here's a treat for you. After managing to come up with one "subtitle" for Xbox (360, for those who don't know), Microsoft are now rumoured to name their new console *drumroll* Xbox. No subtitle.

Can't blame them, though. It must be hell coming up with an unused name for their console, what with there being two other brands and all.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4945...box-x-surface?

Spore, Rayman, F.E.A.R. 2 - not counting console/handheld only games.
    There's a Spore: Origins? That's an awful title. They should have gone with Sporigins instead.

Revenge of Blah Blah?

Maybe more people should take a leaf out of the Konami book and just make new words up. :Revengeance certainly went down well.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Maybe more people should take a leaf out of the Konami book and just make new words up. :Revengeance certainly went down well.
    The Revengening!

re: vengeance would've been such a better title. Probably not for that particular game, but certainly for a game. I'd play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
    re: vengeance would've been such a better title. Probably not for that particular game, but certainly for a game. I'd play it.
    What would that game be about? Responding to emails about vengeance? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    Shh you'll give Christine Love an idea.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    I was thinking more sending them. You email horrible and repeated threats to everybody who has ever wronged you, but you never follow through on any of them. There aren't enough bluster and bravado simulators on the market.

Which is of course a complete lie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
    Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Re: Vengeance
    (The expansion pack is called Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Re: Vengeance: The Read Receipt Wars)

Oh! don't forget Game Title: (The) Reckoning. I see a few of those (Amalur, Dead to Rights, The Hunter). Also Game Title Rising. By the by, I would almost certainly spend a real life dollar bill on a game called Sourdoush Rising (I almost bought "Babylon Rising" on Steam for the name alone).

P.S. I made a game whose subtitle-after-the-colon was ": Summer of Bandits".
    JSYK, Internet, I'm fine with a whole wave of games stealing that subtitle. It would make for a wonderful summerofbandits.
    Last edited by Berzee; 23-01-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Tom Clancy games win the Unnecessary Longevity Award of the Grand Subtitle Battle.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Urban Operations is a poem already!
    Last edited by Velko; 23-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Tom Clancy games win the Unnecessary Longevity Award of the Grand Subtitle Battle.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Urban Operations is a poem already!
    I disagree.
    The Lord of the Rings: The Battle For Middle Earth 2: The Rise of the Witch King is a much better contender.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The first two games I thought of when I read the OP were

Crusader: No Remorse (Oh they done did it now!)
    Crusader: No Regret (Lordy ain't we some badass motherfuckers?)

Everything else seems rather self-explanatory:

Spec Ops: The Line (It gets crossed)
    Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (Guess what the MacGuffin is called)
    Saints Row: The Third (Sequentialism at its finest)
    Last edited by Nalano; 23-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The first two games I thought of when I read the OP were

Crusader: No Remorse (Oh they done did it now!)
    Crusader: No Regret (Lordy ain't we some badass motherfuckers?)
    I am torn between Crusader: No Repentance and Crusader: No Refunds for a (improbable) sequel.