PSA: EA Origin vulnerability, mind what you click

So an exploit has been discovered for Origin which can take advantage of their custom origin:// protocol, much like the steam:// protocol exploit from last year. EA says they are investigating, but in the meantime just watch out for any Origin-related stuff that you might be doing.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...ck-player-pcs/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Similar thing happened to Steam. (before the Origin hate wagon arrives)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Has the Steam one ever been resolved, actually? Personally I'd just avoid any link that activates any game client, period. I don't know what the hell those are good for anyway, if you want to start a game just start the game.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Has the Steam one ever been resolved, actually? Personally I'd just avoid any link that activates any game client, period. I don't know what the hell those are good for anyway, if you want to start a game just start the game.
    According to the update in this article, it has.

I think the primary purpose of these application protocols is not for game launching, but game buying. You see something you want, you click the link and the application opens up, ready for your credit card. Admittedly, it's kind of a moot point when you're linking something that you can buy through the webstore, like Steam (and maybe Origin, I don't remember), but for systems where you're forced to purchase through the application, like Itunes, it makes more sense.

Steam did in fact have a very similar (if not the exact same) security breach about a year ago.

What link does this make use of? The one you click to launch your game from the app's library menu? If so then how does someone slip the compromised link into someone's Origin/Steam menus?
    Last edited by Shooop; 19-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Which does not in any way excuse that it is happening on Origin now. Seriously, what is the point of your post? To preemptively defend a shitty service?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I don't think he's saying it's excusing it, just that some people will clamor and say "this is why I stick with Steam", when really both platforms have been/are at fault.
    steam: sketch