Starcraft 2 single vs multi

I remember reading something a couple of years ago with Blizzard claiming that more people play solo than multiplayer. Now trying to google this I can't find the source.

Does anyone know what I'm on about or am I going senile?
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't have a source, but I do know that playing figures for games that are considered primarily multiplayer games always skew fairly heavily in terms of the single player. Like 80-90% single player tends to be typical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I am not sure if I agree with arath's generalization, but I do believe it for SC2. A simple way to check is count the number of active players in the ladders and compare that to the number of expansion packs sold. Will be under, but should at least be indicative.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I don't have a source, but I do know that playing figures for games that are considered primarily multiplayer games always skew fairly heavily in terms of the single player. Like 80-90% single player tends to be typical.
    I believe this was the case many, many years ago. If I recall, figures like that were stated for games like UT and Quake 3, so we are not talking about the last few years.

It would be interesting to see if that figure has changed much. I imagine it has, as faster internet speeds are more readily available and people are far more used to interacting with people online. With something like SC2, I expect there is still a majority that do not touch the multiplayer side, but something like CoD probably has it the other way round.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been trying to find it without success, but I swear I remember reading that people spend more time playing League of Legends against bots than against humans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not everyone that plays online play on the ladder. Although SC2 Arcade does not have a killer mod like Counterstrike was for Half Life and Dota is for Warcraft 3. There is a lot of good ones, but nothing that I least know of that make people go out and buy the game just for that. If Blizzard did not drag their feet with their Dota map and change it 5 times they might have had a game seller mod. Now with Dota 2 launched, good luck.

http://sc2ranks.com/

http://sc2ranks.com/stats/region/all/all/all

"Teams" is each side in the type of bracket.

There is 1,999,000 players/accounts that have been placed (did their 5 placement matches) into a 1v1 league for Heart of the Swarm.

Wings of Liberty currently has 222,000 ranked 1v1 Players for the current season.

Either Blizzard will announce 1st week sales soon or the next quarterly report will reveal how many have sold.

Edit: I realize now the 1v1 will be skewed a little more beyond multiple accounts with Global Play active. More people have access to all regions.

SC2 was apparently well pirated also, which you could only play single player with a pirated version.
    Last edited by Moraven; 20-03-2013 at 12:19 AM.