Soldier of Fortune

Honourable mentions:

Blood
    Dark Forces
    Doom
    Fallout: NV
    Kingpin
    Soldier of Fortune 2

There was a third person mode in Jedi Outcast? I never saw it. I remember third person being forced on the player when using a lightsabre in the Jedi Academy demo, which is why I never bothered buying the full game.

Edit: Swapped out Blood for Duke 3d. Can't believe I forgot that one.
    Last edited by Barberetti; 25-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Heretic! I forgot about that one. Somehow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barberetti View Post
    The top 3:

There was a third person mode in Jedi Outcast? I never saw it. I remember third person being forced on the player when using a lightsabre in the Jedi Academy demo, which is why I never bothered buying the full game.
    Weird, I know in Jedi Knight II you can use the lightsaber in first person, seems weird they'd take that out in a game that plays identically.
    steam: sketch

All jedi knight games have third person.

Encouraged for saber combat

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Weird, I know in Jedi Knight II you can use the lightsaber in first person, seems weird they'd take that out in a game that plays identically.
    I know, I thought the exact same thing at the time! It seemed like such an odd decision to make.

One of my favourite gaming moments was in Jedi Outcast. There's a bit just after you get your lightsabre, and you're in a cantina and this fight kicks off for some reason. It didn't last long, but fuck it was easily the most I've ever felt like a Jedi in a game. You know the bit in A New Hope where Kenobi destroys those two thugs in the cantina, then he's just standing there with his sabre still on, with that "Anyone else want some?" look on his face? Well that was me looking at my monitor after my fight, my hands holding my sabre in front of me, just daring anyone else to try it on. Man it was awesome.

When I got the Jedi Academy demo, I spent the first few minutes trying to find the first person mode in the menu. 15 minutes and some internet searching later, and I'd found out that it wasn't possible. I was staring at the screen, like What The Fuck!

Jesus that pissed me off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Ah yeah, I got to that bit in Jedi Outcast the other day (I love the Nar Shadaa level) and interrogating the bartender and the "I'm no Jedi, just a guy with a lighsaber" mixed in with all the people in the bar attacking you...really a great feeling to it. I like Kyle, he is a cool character.

Here's a mod which re-enabled first person lightsabering btw.
    steam: sketch

STALKER ALL
    DooM 2
    Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
    Red Orchestra
    AvP 1,2
    Metro 2033

Like others, I feel reluctant including the likes of Portal and Thief, since I like them for reasons other than the shooting of men, but if they're allowed, then they're a must have on my list:

Half Life 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Thief 2
    System Shock 2
    Deus Ex
    Portal
    Natural Selection 2
    Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Far Cry 3

Very hard to narrow it down to just 10. I could probably fill two lists of 10, one with singleplayer games and the other with multiplayer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Hmm The Void. I could never get far into it, was always struck by the intense feeling that I was doing it wrong.

Although it has reminded me of Pathologic which is the ultimate of honourable mentions in that I can't say how anyone would put it in their top 10 but deserves praise thrown its way for trying to be different. Again another game which I just didn't get far enough into (partially due to translation issues, partially due to me messing up and running out of either resources or reputation, depending on the character I start with.
    The Void is intentionally designed to make you believe you're doing it wrong. There is no entirely positive action in the game, all the speakers are unreliable, even growing color increases the number of enemies.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Okay, this is going to be hard, but here we go. In the order they pop into my head:

Half Life
    Crysis
    Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
    Quake
    Unreal Tournament
    Team Fortress 2
    Natural Selection 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Serious Sam 3 (controversial choice in the series. Probably not the best, but it came in such a drought of good FPS games that I am quite fond of it.)
    Stalker

Surprised how many more recent games there are on that list actually. Would have also liked to include FEAR, but I've run out of space. Certainly not a faultless game, but the shooting was excellent.

Activated Node
    Bioshock
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    Quake Wars
    Operation Flashpoint: (cold war crisis?)
    Serious Sam
    Goldeneye: Source (cheating?)
    Clive Barker's Undying

I can't think of more that I would put in a top10 list. I'd put HL2 for the first part where you don't actually do any shooting, but can't justify that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Stalker (CoP preferred)
    Crysis
    Arma 2
    Bioshock
    Call of Duty 1
    Deus Ex
    Boiling Point (yeah, I'm the only one)
    Team Fortress 2
    SWAT 4
    Battlefield 1942

I do like Portal, wouldn't count it as an FPS personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Boiling Point (yeah, I'm the only one)
    I had never even heard of that before until now.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    I had never even heard of that before until now.

Really ? It was one of its kind game,came out in 2005,you had this enormous map with allot of factions,cities and stuff. YOu could drive boats,cars,trucks,allot of weapons,you even had animals in game. The problem was BUGS! Even when fully patched it was buggy as hell,i couldn't complete it because of that.. And driving was horrible.. Overall fun game,but will bugs and bugs and bugs.

Activated Node
    No order:

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45/Darkest Hour
    Operation Flashpoint: CWC
    Thief: MA
    Thief: DS
    Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
    Natural Selection
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    Tribes 2
    SWAT 4
    Halo: Combat Evolved

ARMA 2, NS2, and Thief: DP would probably on there if I had played them.

Honorable Mention: Left 4 Dead. Great for the first 50 hours or so, then gets old fast. Original's maps and atmosphere were miles beyond the second's (despite other improvements).
    Last edited by noxnoctum; 25-01-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Like others, I feel reluctant including the likes of Portal and Thief, since I like them for reasons other than the shooting of men
    First Person Shooter implies only two things: First person perspective and shooting. Men are optional. Shooting bows at torches and wooden ceilings or portals at walls works for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dark Forces
    Tribes
    Counterstrike
    UT
    Unreal
    Day of Defeat
    BF1942
    Heretic
    Natural Selection
    Ghost Recon
    Rainbow 6
    Enemy Territory
    Portal

FPSish:
    Magic & Magic 6&7 Sometimes, I feel like its a shooter when dodging loads of arrows and spells.
    Descent
    Dungeon Keeper minion mode

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Ah yeah, I got to that bit in Jedi Outcast the other day (I love the Nar Shadaa level) and interrogating the bartender and the "I'm no Jedi, just a guy with a lighsaber" mixed in with all the people in the bar attacking you...really a great feeling to it. I like Kyle, he is a cool character.

Here's a mod which re-enabled first person lightsabering btw.
    I missed this when I posted before, but have to say I really disliked the Nar Shadaa levels in JK2. You spend ages waiting to get the lightsaber and then you are dumped in a level full of snipers!! I like JK2 a lot, but the opening 7 or so levels really make it the weakest in the series for me (yes, weaker than JA.) Cloud City is when it becomes awesome.

Jedi Outcast is a weird game. Like I always thought that the quality of it nosedived the second you got the lightsaber, mostly because the lightsaber combat was not very good (wasn't horrible either). But you also want to use it because it's a friggin lightsaber and you get to cut up stormtroopers XD
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Activated Node
    Hmmm FPS's ... ummm ...

Doom
    Call of Duty 2
    Deus Ex
    Mech Warrior 2 (Does that even count?)
    *Backs out of the thread*

Sorry, I don't belong here. I will just go back to my cRPG's and Strategy games. Sorry, sorry ... bye.