Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    It's a bit silly that the community banded together to name a puzzle game in which no one gets shot the best shooter ever.

We have hereby forfeited our rights to ever bitch about any list that IGN makes ever again.

Huge sigh aimed at the entire "Portal isn't a FPS" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I, for one, am kinda happy about the fact that nobody actually gets shot in the top RPS shooter.
    Except for the player himself.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    'Shooters' instead of 'FPS' might've been a better way to go (I'm just not happy without Max Payne 1 & 2 on the list). Otherwise it's a perfectly serviceable list to one of my least favourite genres. Portal had a first person view, the gameplay revolved around the use of one gun, it was single-player only, didn't wear out it's welcome with the three hour campaign, and to compensate it was technically free. Not to mention it was unique. You're going to remember it for the rest of your life.

Thanks for all the effort you went to Lambchops.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    It's a bit silly that the community banded together to name a puzzle game in which no one gets shot the best shooter ever.
    If by silly you mean awesome, then yes. See? Nobody has to die.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post

We have hereby forfeited our rights to ever bitch about any list that IGN makes ever again.
    Portal has the portal gun, and you solve the puzzles by shooting at things. You're very much using FPS mechanics, even if the result of your shots isn't violent. Also, Glados, Chell, and several robots get shot.

My (very) biased top 10 FPS PC games list that instantly pop-up in my head:
    [Modern value; Great gameplay and also graphics]
    - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

- Crysis
    - ARMA 2
    - Team Fortress 2
    - Battlefield 3
    [Old-school Value; Great gameplay with sweet memories]
    - DOOM
    - Duke Nukem 3D
    - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    - Heavy Gear
    [...and finally, I don't think this qualifies for FPS but whatever...]
    - Mirror's Edge

Portal was a good game but who here actually beat it more than once? You don't even shoot people in it, it's a First person puzzle game. Even if I dismiss Portal and look at the number 2 it's a hybrid rpg/fps that I don't really think deserves to be up there at all. I'd much rather a twitch arena shooter. I am very disappoint. Realistic tactical shooters are #1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    Portal was a good game but who here actually beat it more than once?
    There are people who have only played through it once? Oh, those poor souls.

Edited to add: you at least need to play it again with the commentary on -- the Valve commentairies are great.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 07-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    Portal was a good game but who here actually beat it more than once? You don't even shoot people in it, it's a First person puzzle game. Even if I dismiss Portal and look at the number 2 it's a hybrid rpg/fps that I don't really think deserves to be up there at all. I'd much rather a twitch arena shooter. I am very disappoint. Realistic tactical shooters are #1 for me.
    I still occasionally load it up to play puzzle mode, but I've beaten it four or five times.

Most people I talk to about it "love it" but haven't beat it more than once or twice. It's such a short game too, I just don't see it being that great when you look at the entire genre of FPS games. Seems like a joke to have a puzzle game #1, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    There are people who have only played through it once? Oh, those poor souls.

Edited to add: you at least need to play it again with the commentary on -- the Valve commentairies are great.
    As I got rid of my soul before I played it, I'm not sure what kind of position that puts me in. But I'll definitely have to do it again for the commentaries. Thanks for tip.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!