Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Network Hub
    children do not perceive play fighting as violence. mainly because with children below a certain age, there is no grey, just black and white in terms of what is violence and what isn't.

play fighting with guns is just that to them- play. without physical contact a child doesn't see it as a violent act. it is rare for a child who is play fighting to use expletives or even offensive language other than 'die badguy' or whatever.

whereas when a child gets to around the age of 12+ they start to realise that violence can be in non-contact forms and either mature to the point where they see it as wrong to threaten or intimidate or just don't develop properly in that context and end up as delinquent. obviously, nature and nurture come into this a lot.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    Um, mibbe I'm just a filthy liberal, but violence is wrong. I don't want my own son to play with any sort of toy gun as I think they're horrendous.
    I think this is a bit of a polarised statement. It depends what the definiton of violence is in all reality. For example, are we talking mindless attacks on others with no motivation, or are we talking targeted incapacitation to protect other members of the public?

I would want my child to know the difference between that, and that one is very very wrong and that one is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    I would want my child to know the difference between that, and that one is very very wrong and that one is necessary.
    Nope, I think I'm just a filthy liberal. Doesn't matter the justification: violence is wrong.

I know, that's incredibly idealistic and possibly also very naive but I want to live in a world where we all just get along.

Quote Originally Posted by [UW] View Post
    As a strange analogy, I've noticed that the people who are most freaked out by bees and wasps (Sans allergics) are people who have never been stung. It's the concept of the sting that is frightening, rather than the act itself.
    I have been stung by bees and I still dislike it. In fact, I probably dislike it more.

I agree with most of your points about overprotective parents. Want to read more?

Here: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Interesting reading from somebody who is specifically trying to push back against ridiculously protective parenting.
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by solipsistnation View Post
    I have been stung by bees and I still dislike it. In fact, I probably dislike it more.

I agree with most of your points about overprotective parents. Want to read more?

Here: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Interesting reading from somebody who is specifically trying to push back against ridiculously protective parenting.
    Wow, thanks for this! Reading through, it's quite funny how I've managed to reach an almost identical conclusion to this person having never heard of "Free Range Kids" before. Right down to litigation culture having an impact.

As far as the bee thing goes, that was just a casual observation I've made in life. I know some people who panic so much at the sight of one they've almost crashed their car, or will literally sprint out of a room or clamber over a sofa to get away from it. In most cases if I say "Have you ever been stung by a bee?" they say "No!".

I have, it's not exactly pleasant but I generally find myself more concerned about the bee and making sure I haven't hurt it. In a similar vein, I've never actually been stung by a wasp or bee when I knew it was there. I don't try to swat them away or panic and they usually just go on about their business. I only ever get stung when I feel a tickle and go to scratch it with my hand absentmindedly, and it turns out to have been something with a stinger.

I was out mowing the lawn one day and discovered a nest of those yellowjackets that live in the ground. I was stung 4 or 5 times on the leg (THIS IS WHY I DON'T WEAR SHORTS EVER!) and it hurt like a bastard. I took some Benadryl and immediately passed out for six hours. Aside from the long afternoon nap, it was quite unpleasant and I do not wish to repeat the experience, even with a single sting at a time.

I don't blame people for wanting to avoid it, either. So, there you go!

Back to the topic-- just out of curiosity, how many people posting in this thread actually have children? It's the dumbest cliche, but it turns out that having your first child DOES change a lot of how you think-- all those abstract "I think we should raise a kid like this!" thoughts must finally gel into reality, and along with that suddenly you have a little creature to take care of, who is totally dependent on you for everything. It rearranges your life, and not always for the worse. (Or the better. It's just different.)
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

That film is seven diferent types of awesome. That is all.

Oh, yeah, and I've got a kid.

Oh, and I fully intend on buying him toy soldiers and non-realistic projectile weaponry (Projectile weaponry is fun and cool but I feel slightly uneasy about giving him realistic replica type weaponry. For now anyway i want him to be able to see a clear distinction between cartoon-like play violence and realistic violence.)
    Last edited by BobsLawnService; 07-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    Nope, I think I'm just a filthy liberal. Doesn't matter the justification: violence is wrong.

I know, that's incredibly idealistic and possibly also very naive but I want to live in a world where we all just get along.
    This, we should make daisy chains together :)

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    On the other hand, I really didn't have toy guns growing up as my mum didn't approve, and it really didn't do me any harm. And I don't see anything wrong with giving toy guns to girls, or My Little Ponies to boys, if that's what they want.
    I've used My Little Pwny* as my avatar since I was 18 (all those years ago), I'm loving seeing two other people with Ponies on here too :)

*She's called Twinklekill

http://www.b3tards.com/u/f9d89e8a110...0/pwnyv3.1.png
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 07-06-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry