Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107
  1. #81
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,100
    My moustache froze this morning.

  2. #82
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,649
    The weather people said we had a "snow bomb" the other day. What was weird is that according to Google that was the first time that phrase had ever been used in that context. I thought it sounded like a delicious dessert.

  3. #83
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I think it would be fairer to say that that thread was closed due to the behaviour and tone of many people in the thread
    Thing is most people were just having a heated argument, they weren't being personally disrespectful. I know I make this argument a lot lately but again I don't think that I disagree with you, let's debate it is not being excellent. Lately some people seem to hate the fact that not everyone agrees on everything. In the last week or so I've wondered if it's worth posting in some threads because I'll either be told that we shouldn't be discussing something because nobody can ever determine who is actually right, or because disagreeing with someone isn't "being excellent" to them.

    It's perfectly possible to argue over a particular point, whether or not consensus is reached, without being a dick about it. But now it seems that any sort of heated debate isn't allowed. Honestly, a forum where everybody agrees and strokes each other like favoured pets would be pretty damn boring.

  4. #84
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,631
    I don't think that's what anyone wants really, but if you take a scan through the thread there are a few points that you could probably chalk up as unnecessary. Looking at Gundato and Faldreath's posts, they're arguing quite intently sure, but they're being absolutely reasonable about it. Strongly disagreeing is one thing, but I think a hostility spilling over from a previous run in with each other is another and not beneficial to anyone, because you end up with it happening over and over again where one poster will decide to disagree and go for another simply because of their history rather than the point they're making.
    steam: sketch

  5. #85
    Lesser Hivemind Node Velko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    My moustache froze this morning.
    I hate it when that happens.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Serves you right for having facial hair.

  7. #87
    Network Hub DeekyFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    220
    Yes, debate and discussion is good, but it does seem to degenerate into name calling sometimes, which sometimes interferes with actual the cogent points/ being made (often by both sides). It's kind of like a bunch of clever snowflakes, all different, bunch together to form a sort of hatred snowball which escalates until it crashes at the bottom of a hill, at which point it collapses and you have to squint to pick apart the useful bits still scattered around.

    I don't think anyone wants meaningless consensus, and that frankly seems impossible anyway, and on the other side of the scale not every criticism of an opinion needs to be sugar dusted with a 'but I love you /hug' but some thought to tone could be taken into account. There is a middle ground to play in.

  8. #88
    Network Hub DeekyFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Serves you right for having facial hair.
    As a side note, I think I understand some of the sourness in your posts a little better now :-)

  9. #89
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,425
    Are people that afraid to actually continue the discussion about if "heated conversation" = instaban with all of the weather comments?

    However, I have to add onto that: start a new thread about the discussion topic and prove jim you can have a proper discussion without blowing up. Otherwise the reminder of being excellent serves no purpose.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  10. #90
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,489
    But what specifically was the problem in the thread?

    I ask because Jim's final post was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol
    Gentlemen, you are not being excellent to each other. I am closing this thread, and if anyone here is involved in further non-excellent behaviour then bans will be handed out to all.
    I posted in that thread. Deano posted in that thread. So did Drake and Nalano. I don't think the majority of the people in that thread were involved in "non-excellent behaviour" by reading over it again, so are we part of the "anyone" mentioned in the post? At what point did the thread cross the line?

  11. #91
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Serves you right for having facial hair.
    I applaud him and Tom Selleck for refusing to let facial hair die. I don't care how obsessed the modern world is with eradicating every hair not atop a person's head - a man without facial hair is like a cat without fur. So join the resistance and grow yourself a huge beard you could store a chicken in.

  12. #92
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    But what specifically was the problem in the thread?

    I ask because Jim's final post was this:

    I posted in that thread. Deano posted in that thread. So did Drake and Nalano. I don't think the majority of the people in that thread were involved in "non-excellent behaviour" by reading over it again, so are we part of the "anyone" mentioned in the post? At what point did the thread cross the line?
    soldant! give up and make a new thread, just about the topic. Ill check in on it, and Im sure everyone can restrain themselves from calling names, no?
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  13. #93
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    soldant! give up and make a new thread, just about the topic. Ill check in on it, and Im sure everyone can restrain themselves from calling names, no?
    But QuantaCat, that wasn't my point. I just wanted to know at what point the thread crossed the line. I'm not campaigning for it to be unlocked or anything.

  14. #94
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Archbishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    1,833
    I think that atleast this post is a bit over the line.

    No offense against Shooop personally intended... Where did that post he was quoting from go?

  15. #95
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Soldant, I don't believe we have to worry about this joint becoming a hugbox anytime in the near future.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #96
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Soldant, I don't believe we have to worry about this joint becoming a hugbox anytime in the near future.
    aw but I hug you. *hugs*
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  17. #97
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    aw but I hug you. *hugs*
    Consequently, the only thing I hate more than overzealous moderation is overzealous amateur​ moderation.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #98
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Consequently, the only thing I hate more than overzealous moderation is overzealous amateur​ moderation.
    you're so cute when annoyed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  19. #99
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,013
    I love that people try to regulate chat between almost completely anonymous people sitting at keyboards and so utterly immune to the effect of their actions...

    It's like nailing jelly to a wall with cats on elastic - only the physics is even more against you :)

    There's a lot of things not taught in schools which should be - cooking and balancing your finances are probably the most notable but I think some time spent on Logical Fallacies would be time better spent than on - say - algebra or trigonometry or Kings and Queens or the port of Rotterdam...

    For now - this will have to do

    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

    We could play fallacy bingo here - most threads (and almost every news posts's comments) would get you a line in the first page :)

  20. #100
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I love that people try to regulate chat between almost completely anonymous people sitting at keyboards and so utterly immune to the effect of their actions...

    It's like nailing jelly to a wall with cats on elastic - only the physics is even more against you :)

    There's a lot of things not taught in schools which should be - cooking and balancing your finances are probably the most notable but I think some time spent on Logical Fallacies would be time better spent than on - say - algebra or trigonometry or Kings and Queens or the port of Rotterdam...

    For now - this will have to do

    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

    We could play fallacy bingo here - most threads (and almost every news posts's comments) would get you a line in the first page :)
    I love it that people cant get that some places have rules and some people enforce those rules. And that is just fine.

    That being said, everyone should take a step back before they rage against a member, no matter how annoying their point of view is. It is, after all, like you said, just a human tapping on a keyboard, somewhere usually outside of 1km away from you, oblivious to your real world location.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •