Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cool Car wot goez fast -- Harasser guide.

Work in progress!

So! I think it'z about time I got down to telling you numptiez how to drive a good vroom or 2.

Ingredient List

• One hundred and fifty nanitez. (150)
    • A taste for carz with gunz and jetz beecauze you're a gosh darn 12 year-old inside.
    • The ability to rezizt the urge to boost constantly so you can save it for Sick Trickz And Mad Flipztm
    • A fondness for driving up stairz, into doorwayz just sortof big enough to fit you in, and over MAX unitz.
    • The ability to recognize absolutely every other vehicle az a huge-ass threat that requirez a boost jet to the face.
    • A spooky halloween horn that goez "Mwhahahaha!" so you can get C4'd by an ally for blasting it at them a lot.
    • At least a bit of knowledge from this page; http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Harasser

How to drive -- Sick Trickz And Mad Flipztm

A thing to remember; You don't need top speed, you don't need roadz, but you do need an escape plan or some cover. With top speed you might flip over at the slightest bump or knock you encounter, with roadz you'll just find a lot of tank minez, but with an escape plan involving boost jetz or a nice ridge to peek over with your turret (which izn't part of your hitbox!) you'll bee invincible. If you're not in a firing pozition, you need to frantically look for one beefore anyone who can aim blastz your paper armour into some interesting (albeit fiery) origami. Finding a nice circuit to patrol iz alwayz fun too, if you want to repeatedly drive-by a sunderer or something.

On top of that, you need to make sure your cover iz effective by keeping awareness on enemy pozitionz. You're a flanker, so avoid all thoze frontal fightz the tankz are having fun with and try to approach from a different angle or direction. Even just having a height advantage over the enemy can help a lot (especially with a PPA turret).

Az for thoze Sick Trickz And Mad Flipztm you'll need to save your boost for them when you can. Sometimez you just land in a bad pozition, sometimez the roof sliding world record just callz your name and you can't help it, but about half the time you can save yourself by emptying a canister of boost.

...the other half of the time, you saved yourself by uzing WASD (especially A and D) to control the rolling of your harasser mid-flip.

When to pull -- How to recognize a Biolab.

To bee honest, you can pull one whenever you damn feel like it. There'z alwayz some vehicle outside even the most vroom-proof basez to shoot, and most of the time you can just bee ridiculous and find a way inside to go PPA some lozerz. There are ideal timez to pull, though.

Infantry blobz on open areaz? PPA harasser.
    Any enemy vehiclez? Halberd harasser.
    Tech plant? GSD PPA harasser iz alwayz fun.
    Tower outpost? Halberd thoze turretz and airpad MAX. Garage iz alwayz a nice place to camp.
    Biolab? Ask a galaxy buddy to airlift you somehow??

Do you know the base in question? Granted, most basez can allow a crafty vroom right in (whether they were dezigned for it or not), but it helpz to have some map experience. For example; I know that The Ziggurat iz apparently dezigned to bee an infantry only base... yet the doorz in the sunderer garagez are wide enough to allow a vroom through. Great!

Ontop of the occaizional door, there are often stairz to uze, and terrain that letz you jump over whatever fence they tried to block you out with, should you boost and jump well enough.

Gunner Etiquette -- Spotting and Awareness.

Bee sure to remember; don't shoot at aircraft if you've not got an AA gun. You'll just get the attention of nasty stuff that you can't escape from, which iz terrible!

Az a gunner, you'll probably bee gifted with some kind of scope; a zoom or thermal, uzually. It'z now your duty to uze it occaizionally , to look around frantically almost all the time, and to listen to driver spotting (over VOIP or in-game, whichever you can manage). If you loze sight of an enemy for a moment, remember to return to frantically looking around.

By default, your priority should bee to shoot enemy infantry first. Yes, even with the AP gunz, beecauze fighting armour really izn't this carz thing in most situationz -- They cost triple what you do for a reazon, and you're not called the "Killer" are you?

But, if you're prezented with the juicy rear of a tank, go ahead; your driver got you there for a reazon, and I've noticed recently that tankz often don't realize when you've parked beehind them until after a few shotz.

Driver Technique -- Flanking and Escaping

Someone got flanked by a tickling squid girl!

Az a driver, it'z your job to get a line of sight on your enemy while avoiding the enemy'z front (Flanking) , or to escape when stuff startz shooting at you. If they don't spit their drink, you didn't hit their rear armour hard enough!

Uzually, I follow this list of thingz to do;

1. Check the map and apply waypointz wherever appropiate for you. Look for a place to flank around, and bee a part of your friendly front (zerg groupz!) for a moment to check out which gun you'll need.
    2. Pull the car and , ideally , have someone with you to gun asap. Going solo against infantry izn't terrible but it'z definitely more difficult. Against vehiclez, I will never recommend going Solo Harasser.
    3. Have a scenic drive to your favorite flanking angle to find a good firing pozition or area to drive-by with.
    4. Ideally, pick off single targetz ; enough infantry small armz can certainly take you down quickly, and multiple vehiclez are the stuff you run from. I recommend sniping with a good zoom halberd if you're really scared.
    5. If you start taking fire, escape instantly. Even if it wazn't a threat, you've probably been spotted, so hanging about in the same area meanz someone will likely try to chase you down. Yelling for repairz during an escape should get your gunner to switch to rear seat for some slow yet helpful repairz in the rumble seat.
    6. Time to find a new angle to flank from, or go and repair after an escape.

Babbyz' first vroom -- First Purchasez

To keep the shopping list simple for low-BR soldierz and to make an eazy, reliable way to start off clear, here iz a list of purchasez in order of priority;

1. PPA Proton turret. The eaziest role for a harasser iz to go anti-infantry, and the basilisk izn't amazing for that.
    2. Fire suppression. Save it for when the health bar turnz red to keep your performance above damaged levelz ; you need your speed to escape!
    3. Proximity Radar and Thermal Scope. The PPA iz rather long-range, so the Thermal izn't too important, and the Proximity radar helpz a minimap-glancing driver avoid C4 fairiez and help out in an infantry base.
    4. Halberd AP turret. A good gunner can take on both infantry and vehiclez with this.

Shopping List -- thingz wot go boom (or not).

"They thought a single basilisk would work on a main battle tank, pfhahaha!"

Typically, you're best off with an anti-infantry weapon -- I recommend the PPA, Bulldog, Canister, Vulcan, Marauder and Enforcer. If you have a good gunner, a halberd can instantly off a single enemy infantry, so go ahead and take advantage of the flexibility and burst damage.

The PPA iz best uzed with a height advantage versus a large amount of enemy infantry , though it can certainly dent nearby aircraft and kill enemy harasserz and flash. Disco bombardment!

The Bulldog should bee uzed similarly to the PPA, but with less ability to hurt airborne targetz and less effective range. The much larger area of effect iz good for supression and farming a sunderer or firing into a window, though.

The NC Canister iz great at closerange (which shouldn't bee a problem with your speed), but beeing so close iz risky when you have C4 and rocketz to worry about. It doez work very well on harasserz too. The Vulcan performz similarly, with a risk-reward style involving the rapid death of all nearby armour.

The Marauder iz similar to the Fury, and can bee uzed in a similar way against similar targetz.

The Halberd fulfillz the role of the Enforcer az an AP, high-accuracy cannon, but allowz you to engage in cover-shooting eazier by packing more punch per shot and more reload time to incentivize staying in cover. The enforcer certainly haz more DPS though, so if you have access, grab it and try it, it'z very eazy to uze against most targetz.

The Vulcan for the TR iz brilliant, if you can get in close; A single magazine can unload in 2 secondz and down most vehiclez from the rear if all the shotz hit. Hilarious if you have a pair of harasserz to work together.

Putting certz into the boost regeneration iz alwayz helpful, so try to at least get a few levelz in that. I recommend only boosting in half-bar burstz too, and to uze it to accelerate to top speed instead of increasing top speed

Fire supression workz great to give you a few more secondz to get away -- remember that beeing on fire seriously affectz vehicle performance, too.

A proximity radar iz invaluable when you're in an infantry-dezigned base, both for heping your alliez (and gunner!) and for warning about C4 fairiez.

A GSD iz necessary to enter a tech plant, but most basez tend to include a way for infantry to enter on foot without vehicle shieldz going down (whether they were dezigned for it or not), so try to take advantage of thoze.

A mine guard izn't needed if you avoid roadz like you should, and they're actually quite vizible on most terrain, so don't worry about that too much and keep your eyez on the road.

You likely won't have time to uze auto-repair if you're az greedy for fighting az I am, and you certainly are the best at running away to a safe spot to repair with your own tool, so this iz mostly useless.

A Scrapper chassis for turning iz your best friend; you don't need Racer when you have boost to get you to full speed instantly, and you don't need to climb very well when, again, your boost can probably push you up well enough. What you do need, however, iz the ability to make sharp turnz to avoid an armoured threat or landmine.

Anything not mentioned here iz likely useless, or just plain untested.

Tricky Buziness -- Frustrating Level Dezignerz

You will learn to love the towerz prezent in most walled basez; they tend to allow you to drive up the stairz and onto the wallz if you boost a little, and if a sunderer izn't clogging it up. I recommend this for amp station assaultz -- you won't even need a GSD.

A lot of basez have surrounding hillz and cliffz too, or even an entrance just wide enough for you. A lot of basez on Esamir are ideal to jump into thankz to the mountainous terrain, despite the effort in their dezign to remain walled off. If you really can't find a way in, patrol around and look for some way to jump in or climb in, you'll probably find the way in somehow.

A word to the careful though; don't enter when you have a lot of alliez about. Someone will certainly end up beeneath your wheelz. It'z best to bombard from a distance or to patrol around in most casez.

Community Training -- The Sophia Challenge

I tend to play almost daily in the evening (GMT, when most of RPS are online), so if you ever see me, just ask for some training or challenge and we'll work something out. This iz probably the best way to learn specific basez, and frankly it'z risky to uze an AP harasser without a 2nd one nearby to help out, or friendly armour.

It'll likely consist of mainly watching and learning, and getting some battle experience. I can alwayz uze a gunner too~

----

I'll likely add more to this post later, especially if someone requestz specific scenario guidez. Let me know what you think ^_^

I'll leave this thread open for general harasser discussion too.
    Last edited by SophiaButler; 05-10-2014 at 02:46 PM.

A nice video of an Enforcer harasser. Dubstep warning :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrVrna2kR4

And.. I found it here. The top bar on this subreddit iz ridiculous

http://www.reddit.com/r/harasser/

And here'z a video of VS harasser gameplay. Pretty, and at the 3 minute mark there'z even a construction site climb, beecauze thoze basez are ridiculously open to harasserz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdh...ature=youtu.be

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So good!!!

Nice guide, especially weapon choices. Any chance of some more details on the best way to cert up a harasser without going ridiculous and maxing everything out? (ie: for the lower BRs etc).

I must ask one thing though, does your keyboard swap s and z around?

Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    Nice guide, especially weapon choices. Any chance of some more details on the best way to cert up a harasser without going ridiculous and maxing everything out? (ie: for the lower BRs etc).

It doezn't! It'z a typing habit, sorry x_x;

Anyway, sure, I'll put in a recommended first purchasez section.

Until I do; PPA, Fire suppression, PPA Thermal scope, Proximity radar, in order of importance for your first anti-infantry loadout.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    looking good!

Not a fan of stealth then?
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Yet another way to spend up the certs I don't have, cool.
    Thanks for the guide Sophia, and sorry I'm such a terrible gunner!
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua /Namassi Melua
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    You should bee paying more attention!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    With that typing style, Sophia really should have red paintjob on her harasser.

It'd go fasta!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    You should bee paying more attention!
    indeed

@ grumpy ; Not really, no. The car makez such a loud noize that it'z useless unfortunately, az nice az it would've been to have an ambush vehicle have the ability to.. Iunno, ambush properly. :X

Quote Originally Posted by Skiant View Post
    Yet another way to spend up the certs I don't have, cool.
    Thanks for the guide Sophia, and sorry I'm such a terrible gunner!
    You'll get practise, don't worry ^^

PPA gunning really izn't hard, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    With that typing style, Sophia really should have red paintjob on her harasser.

It'd go fasta!
    ... what Rizlar said. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaButler View Post
    indeed

@ grumpy ; Not really, no. The car makez such a loud noize that it'z useless unfortunately, az nice az it would've been to have an ambush vehicle have the ability to.. Iunno, ambush properly. :X
    Harraser wraith module confirmed. The devs aren't safe until it's released!
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

Sophia I hope you'll be proud of me, the Harasser is now my Top Vehicle with a dashing 29 kills.

This should sum up last night pretty nicely:

By the way, I realized the french translation of Harasser is "Offenseur", wtf SOE.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua /Namassi Melua
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I reinstalled Planetside 2 off the back of this thread. I'm already cognizant of how long I'll be trying to get enough monies to be a good harasser. :/
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Helio, just ask for Rent-A-Harasser and either borrow one or be ones gunner.
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Ok Sophia I'll no longer ignore you when you ask for a gunner, on some mistaken belief that harassers are not for me (or my squad/platoon). You seem to know your stuff, though I do question anyone that can recommend the canister in any capacity.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    You've been a very busy bee! Bee-utifully said.

Its nice to see a (relatively?) new member (to the forums at least) put something together as comprehensive as this.

Once I eventually get all of the horrible backlog of updates installed, ill be sure to go for a spin with you.

Keep up the good work Sophia!

Here is a modified version of our logo just for you:

Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

I will almost pay you money to stop writing like that. *braindeath
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."