Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

I have a dream: Grumpy squad(s)

Calendar I'm using:
    https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...rope/Stockholm

If you want me to share it to you, PM me a google email/id

So, I've been thinking about organising some kind of tactical RPS experience, with the following goals:

• be inclusive
    • put emphasis at getting better at the tactical aspect of the game

The last time I mentioned this, someone called it an "RPST" thing. That is the opposite of what I want, since I believe that would split the community. fuck that. I also believe it would exclude people who feel like beginners which, again, fuck that.

My plan is as follows:

1. Be a part of the ServerSmash training. Steal any and all ideas for effective training.
    2. Make serversmash-like training a recurring thing for Grumpy Squad.
    3. Set times, possibly fluid so we don't exclude a certain person but set at least 5 or so days in advance. 1 or 2 a week, we'll see.
    4. Have GS teams during (some or most) stratgir, where we have 8 or so GS members, filling the rest with whomever such that we have a way for non GS people to see the light and join us in training.
    5. Have a pool of SLs in GS when I PL stratgir (mostly when we don't have a dedicated GS squad), such that inter-squad play is tightened. My theory is that 2 SLs who spent the last saturday training tech-plant drops will be better att working together when dropping a tech plant, even when leading separate squads.

So, thats basically my plan. Let the air be filled with discussions of kill boxes and ingress tactics. Let us self organize into fire teams during assaults. Let us kill many NC. Let's make sure it's a place people come to learn how to be more efficient killing machines, regardless of their current level.

I would prefer:

* microphones. I'm a hairsbreadth from making it compulsory. Thoughts?
    * that people in GS try out squad leading now and then. Not everyone. Don't have to do it often, don't have to be great, but it helps to understand what the SL needs from you. It also helps GS to have a pool of SLs to pull from. Hopefully, SLing a GS will be even more fun than a normal squad. Even given that, not all methods of learning work as well for everyone. I don't want anyone to feel guilty or excluded because they loathe the thought, its fine, but the more the merrier in our merry band of SLs.

Do people have thoughts on this, and who would be interested in being a part of it?

Current rooster:

Grumpy
    Sin
    TWChrinstine?
    Lakroy
    Cephas
    Sophia
    grrf
    ingles
    m2grand
    scarpers
    veranen
    Kreggurree
    iNGLE5
    Last edited by Grumpy; 15-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

This is sounding suspiciously like CCEU training/squads?

I'm not against it however, I'm totally in for more tactical stuff any day of the week (my preferred way to play most of the time), I'm just saying that it's not a million miles away from what we were aiming for when we were all getting together to get ready for CCEU.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Im curious how well tactical movements work in this game? I'd love to do the whole stack and clear deal but (in my opinion having not tried it in anything other than the Rainbow Six games) theres a huge difference between a game with realistic-ish movements as opposed to one where everybody runs everywhere jumping as they go and strafing back and forth with full auto.

I do think an organized multi point entry could work for entrenched baddies and it would be neat to see covering of areas. And I would agree that mics would probably have o be mandatory..and comm discipline..
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Love it, more TacGir is very welcome. This setup becomes extremely effective with two or three 8-player squads. It is also fun to lead such squads, so if this goes ahead I could do that from time to time.

A squad that communicates verbally in a disciplined way becomes the most efficient, but I do know that we have players in RPS that never use mics, yet they follow orders well and are an asset to the team. Many people still feel that they don't want to talk for different reasons - I was once like that myself. I don't think we should make a mic mandatory as it will exclude players that like TacGir and perform well. Having a mic should be encouraged though, since it improves the squad play to a high degree.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    This is sounding suspiciously like CCEU training/squads?

I'm not against it however, I'm totally in for more tactical stuff any day of the week (my preferred way to play most of the time), I'm just saying that it's not a million miles away from what we were aiming for when we were all getting together to get ready for CCEU.
    I wasn't a part of that training, but it seemed to work. Like I always say: "Don't fix what aint broken. Brake it first."
    Disclaimer:
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Always down for TacGir squads. We should arrange them more. I think it'd keep some people happy (me).
    Always down for training. Revitalising Tuesdays would be good.

I'd bee up for this, sure :3

Any excuse to SL and get some organized, scheduled practise in for that.
    Pretty much all 3 of theze are NSFW sometimez. Also very political. Also I'm a prideful, boasting bee about a lot of stuff.

Twitter; https://twitter.com/Succubee94
    Steam; http://steamcommunity.com/id/SophiaButler/
    Tumblr; http://sophia-butler.tumblr.com/
    Ingame; SophiaButler VS, SophiaTraitler NC, SophiaBuTRler TR.

Obscure Node
    Love to join in Grumpy, don't have any interest in SL'ing though beyond the casual early evening squad set up. Just not my thing. If that means you pick someone else, so be it

Activated Node
    +1 (when I finally get back to the land of high bandwidth and lasers)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm not expecting everyone to SL.

Id like a selection so we can always field 1, and that we have enough SLs who are used to working together now and then, but certainly not everyone who trains with GS.
    Disclaimer:

Yeah I can't SL, so that would have ruled me out if it had been mandatory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Why? You're vocal and you know about tactics and strategy in this game. Just saying, not expecting you to step up if you don't like it.

I have to agree with LaKroy. You can. You don't want to, or are scared, or don't like to order people around. Whatever, that's fine. But you definitely can.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah, speaking as someone for whom rps is a social experiment designed to make sure I don't go 6 months without social contact because I forgot, again:

We aren't pressuring people. Having some experience squadleading is great and I recommend it , especially if you're anxious about it , and let's you follow orders better by understanding context. These things are known but we are not pressuring or guilting people :/
    Disclaimer:

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Why? You're vocal and you know about tactics and strategy in this game. Just saying, not expecting you to step up if you don't like it.
    It's just too much for me to think about. My health issues affect my concentration/focus etc, and then my pain meds on top of that make matters worse. Planetside is the only game I can really play for extended periods of time because it generally has a great balance between intense fighting, then periods of downtime (redeploying, holding points and travelling etc) - which is perfect for me. It's my distraction from pain and everything else.

Being an SL requires massive amounts of concentration and mental energy for me. It means thinking about a lot more than my little grunt-sphere and trying to keep on top of that is just way too stressful and incredibly tiring. It makes PS2 the exact opposite of the reason I'm able to play it in the first place. I feel crappy about not being able to step up beyond being beacon monkey and very occasional super-casual squad lead in a super-casual platoon, but I just can't do it.

(Also, I seriously know jack shit about strategy. Like, nothing. Nada. Which is why I'm essentially outright allergic to the thought of being PL).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Well that's understandable, Sino! I have to admit a lot of the time I have no will/energy to do anything other than be a grunt and frankly I enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They really really need to implement a strategic command mode / vehicle.

Think about how much cooler and easier leading would be if you could just sit in the orbital barge and plug into a command console with the ability to switch between different squad member's perspectives (and obviously view the standard map too). You could focus all your efforts on leading, perhaps an ability to draw on the map would also be cool, but you would be limited to squad perspectives only.

It would be soooo cooooooool.

I would nuke the TR from orbit....

Network Hub
    perhaps an ability to draw on the map would also be cool
    Well we all know what the first thing drawn would be...

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmaz View Post
    Well we all know what the first thing drawn would be...
    A giraffe? YEA! High fives all around! *holds up hand*
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.