Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

Rock Paper Fortress 2

We want YOU to join the ranks!

Always wanted to play some relaxed matches of TF2 but got stuck with a bunch of randoms, ruining all the fun? Look and sob no further because the official Rock Paper Shotgun Team Fortress 2 group is back and reborn as Rock Paper Sandvich!

But how do I join?

That's simple, soldier! Just head over to the official Steam Group and join up! No additional requirements or rules; just your good mood and your gameface!

When do you duke it out?
    So far we have matches every Thursday and Monday at around 9 PM GMT+1.
    If you have steam running you will get a notification when the event is about to start and no worries about joining late, we usually gather up in the steam group chat for the first 15 minutes. If you can't make it within that time you can always join a RPS buddy who's currently already in game. :)

How do we Communicate in-game?

We're using the unofficial RPS Mumble Server, how to install, configure and connect is all written in this thread.

If I have questions, who's the person to talk to?

Airtekh and me for questions about events and Tink for questions about the server we play on.

Servers we play on.
    Multiplay :: RPS MvM Server
    IP address: 85.236.101.33:27015
    Password: RoyBatty
    steam://connect/85.236.101.33:27015/
    Last edited by Ravelle; 27-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

It is a neat idea. There was an RPS server, once, and a group for it (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpapershooting), but both are apparently dead.

Network Hub
    I've recently started playing again and would love to do so with some RPS folks.

I'd be interested, sure. I'm playing TF2 alongside other stuff at the moment.

As Oak says the (un)official RPS server died a long time ago, but finding a TF2 server is never a problem.

I'll join in the man-shoots too.

Awesome, I set up a little group for easy match making and buddy joining.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

In! I'll join the Steam group when I get home from work. I should be available for a few games this weekend.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I'm completely new to TF2. Just have an hour or two played as a medic now so looking forward to some 'constructive criticism', haha.

I've played it since when it came out on a on and off basis and I still suck. But I'm currently trying to improve my Sniper skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    I mentioned it in another thread, but I'm completely new to TF2. Just have an hour or two played as a medic now so looking forward to some 'constructive criticism', haha.
    If you're completely new, then the priority is to have fun.

Medic is probably the easiest to get started with, since you can be incredibly useful to the team without needing to shoot anything. Do make sure you try all the classes though, they're all unique. Some are harder to master than others, but you can enjoy all of them without knowing any intricate tactics.

If you're playing Medic, by the way, have a look in the advanced options menu (can't remember the exact name) and look for the medic options. There's some stuff there like 'one-click healing' and 'auto-calling' which are very useful for a medic.

Hopefully if we can get a few games with RPS people we can show you the ropes in a relaxed environment.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    If you're completely new, then the priority is to have fun.

Medic is probably the easiest to get started with, since you can be incredibly useful to the team without needing to shoot anything. Do make sure you try all the classes though, they're all unique. Some are harder to master than others, but you can enjoy all of them without knowing any intricate tactics.

If you're playing Medic, by the way, have a look in the advanced options menu (can't remember the exact name) and look for the medic options. There's some stuff there like 'one-click healing' and 'auto-calling' which are very useful for a medic.

Hopefully if we can get a few games with RPS people we can show you the ropes in a relaxed environment.
    Cool. It's definitely a fun game. Spies are simultaneously my arch nemesis and one of the most interesting parts of the game. I started healing a character around our base only for him to try to stab me. Luckily enough I managed to kill him with the syringe gun in time but the bastard had been hanging around the area not doing much for about 60 seconds! Also funny when you kill a spy disguised as you. Is there a better way to spycheck as a medic than firing a few rounds of syringe gun? There was once or twice where a player got killed while I checked!

I've only played a medic and soldier so far, and only on King of the Hill. Will need to give the others a go at some point.

Thanks for the tip on the options. Will check later.

Ideally, having a pyro on your team is the best method of spy-checking, but there are a few things you can do yourself:

You can pass through members of your own team, but not the enemy. If a 'friendly' player bumps you or blocks your movement in any way, then he is a spy! This is also true when they are cloaked, if there is something invisible blocking your path, it's a spy; they also briefly appear when they bump into another player.

A disguised spy cannot fire his weapon (either gun or knife) without losing his disguise. If you suspect someone of being a spy and they fire the weapon they're holding, then they're definitely on your team. Often when I'm playing a class and someone on my team suspects me of being a spy, I'll fire my weapon once just to let them know I'm friendly.

A bad spy will move directly towards his potential prey, if you see someone on your team moving in a straight line towards another team member or yourself, he may be a spy. Also just be wary of suspicious behaviour in general (i.e moving the wrong way to your team, trying to get behind team members etc)

Watch out for Dead Ringer spies. The Dead Ringer is an item that allows a spy to feign death. If a spy 'dies' very easily (i.e from a single syringe) then it is highly likely he is using the DR. Listen for a loud decloaking sound nearby, which gives away their position.

There's loads more but that covers some basic stuff; the TF2 wiki is also packed with useful tips and strategy. The best learning method is through experience though, so go get yourself backstabbed!

Network Hub
    This has gotten a lot more interest than I thought it might :) Time to organise some games?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Despite the death of both the RPS and PCGamer servers I still play more TF2 than I should...

Joined the group too...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I'm interested to play TF2 with the RPS folk :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I have liked tf2 a lot but i havent really given it alot of time, id much rather be playing with some people from RPS so sign me up!

It's more a knife in the head instead of bumping though, another way to spot a spy is to see if he's shooting yes or no, say when you see a heavy in the battlefield not shooting, it's usually a spy.

Also nice to see some people joining up! :D

Edit: Also, who is who?
    Last edited by Ravelle; 18-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Network Hub
    I joined the group, too. Hope I'll have enough time to play with you, guys!

I joined. My Steam name is Lord Jim.

Edit: I should add that I live on a different continent from the rest of you. This may be a problem.
    Last edited by Oak; 18-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Network Hub
    This is a great reason to get back into the game - count me in. SteamID is the same as my forum handle. I, too, am separated by an ocean, but I'll often be available late nights/on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Coccyx View Post
    This has gotten a lot more interest than I thought it might :) Time to organise some games?
    I agree. Let's try and get the ball rolling with this.

We don't have a server, so I was thinking that we could schedule an event using the Steam group, and join the group chat when it triggers. From there we'll all be able to communicate with each other and decide on a server to join.

Another alternative is - and I'm just throwing this out there - that we could get a server for ourselves; but I don't think we have the numbers to justify that just yet.

If we do schedule events, then we need to decide on a day/time in order to maximise the number of people attending.

What does everyone else think?