Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock Paper SMITE - Open Beta

Smite is finally in open beta.

If you do not know, Smite is a Third Person MOBA based on Unreal Engine 3 by HiRez, the creators of Tribes Ascend. It is free to play charging money only for cosmetic skins and permament access to champions, in this case gods. Gods can be unlocked with ingame currency (which apart from that only can buy some retextures of basic skins) in reasonable time. There also are 5 basic gods which are free for everyone and a rotation of 5 more free gods every week. That is of currently 31 gods. There is also the option to buy every current and future god for 30€ since todays patch.
    In my opinion, that constitutes a rather fair F2P approach.

Smite is a little easier to access than most MOBAS and the third person gameplay really sets it apart.

If you are interested but not sure wether the gameplay is for you but do not want to risk downloading it for nothing: There is almost allways someone streaming at www.twitch.tv/smitegame and apart from the occasional troll (this is the internet afterall), the chat on that stream tends to be very nice and helpful at answering any questions.

With the open beta comes a nice clan feature including a handy ingame chat.
    I took the liberty of setting up a RPS clan, called RockPaperSmite. The old thread is buried on page 5 and i can hardly tell who is actually still playing (okay i could check player stats...).
    So i suggest whoever wants into the clan posts their ingame name here and me or Kekswal or whoever wants to be officer in the future will invite you as soon as possible.
    This should finally make it easy to play with fellow RPS people as we can easily see who is online and chat to set up a party.

Also please post in this thread if you have any questions or want to share your experience with the game.

edit:
    I just realised, i indeed forgot a link. The games website is at www.smitegame.com and from there you can access forums, player stats and whatnot.
    If you feel generous, you could of course use my referral link here to register, giving me shinys as you level up.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 30-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.

I will check this out this weekend.

I'll be playing, was active in the beta for some time - haven't played in a couple of months though.

I'm a big Smite fan. Play more than 400 games already. You can play joining through here

If anyone have questions about the game, I can answer.

Obscure Node
    I'm in. I've been level 30 for a while now. My Smite username Gnashy

Obscure Node
    I just hit level 19, and I'm totally down. Username is FoFoBunny

Invitations to JoJoMan and Gnashy sent. I would need the ingame names of the others to invite you.

Double-post AND necromancy, behold my bold ignorance of proper etiquette!

With the new Poseidon patch comes the great news that the Ultimate God Pack is now indeed ultimate. While it allways was announced to contain only the first 30 gods or all gods of the beta (what was assumed to mean the same back then) the new patch notes have this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Patch Notes

• The Ultimate God Pack has been adjusted so that it now includes all gods in the game, including any future released gods. Those that purchased the Ultimate God Pack previously will receive new gods automatically (there is no need to upgrade). The Ultimate God Pack remains at a special beta price until the game is officially released.
    • When the Ultimate God Pack is purchased, players will now receive a FAVOR refund for any gods purchased prior to buying the Ultimate God Pack. Those that have already purchased the Ultimate God Pack will receive their favor refund upon first login after the patch goes live.
    A forum post also indicates that this actually includes every god ever, including post-release. Given that the only other thing you can buy in SMITE are vanity skins, this means you can from now on have everything SMITE for 30€. And that while the ingame currency prices for gods appear to stay fixed and are easily reachable by play alone for free players. Did i mention the 5 permanently free gods and the weekly rotation of 5 additional free gods? And that you can rent every god for individual matches to try them at basically twice the amount of favor you earn in a single game? As often as you want?
    I kinda like HiRez take on Free2Play here. ^^
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

Raise Thread!

Name`s the same as here, so feel free to invite me. Not very experienced and I suck at MOBAs in general, but I hope that isn`t too big a deal.

Obscure Node
    Hi, I'd like an invitation as well then ! Name's Meldreth.
    Thank you very much.

Invitations sent.
    I assume you have to look for them them in the social tab.
    And do not worry about beeing good or not, if we play together and you at least try to understand or follow suggestions, everyone is happy.
    The biggest problem with playing together is that when level 30s are in a party with lower levels, the matchmaking algorithm looks much more for the high levels when matching, probably assuming the others to be twinks.
    But wether we just hang out in clan chat or actually queue together: Welcome to RockPaperSmite

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or ingame in the clan chat if you see someone online there.
    On average there are at least two of us playing every evening after probably something like 21:00 GMT+2.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

Network Hub
    Feel free to add me, I'll double check my account name when I get home but I think its DenieDUK

EU servers... I don't get to play much but I've kinda fell in love with the water god guy at the moment :D

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Feel free to add me, I'll double check my account name when I get home but I think its DenieDUK

EU servers... I don't get to play much but I've kinda fell in love with the water god guy at the moment :D
    Wow, that are some solid W/L you got there. Just gotta keep that up to level 30 and you will be #1 EU. ^^

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Wow, that are some solid W/L you got there. Just gotta keep that up to level 30 and you will be #1 EU. ^^
    Haha thanks, I've been playing Moba's a long time and the concepts pretty much translate spot on. As long as there's not a leaver in the game at the mo I feel confident that players around my level probably won't cause too much trouble as most are new to Moba's it seems. I need to tinker about with a few more gods, I tried the frost tanky/cc guy and He Bo but I should probably pick up Ra for pushing and something to DPS incase the roles are needed.

On another note, how do you check what stats people have on Smite? :D

On their website is a tab to player stats.
    Here is the link https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/stats.aspx
    It shows wins and recent games as well as god stats. There is also an ingame version where it also shows losses but only for yourself.
    Then again, with the W/L percentages for all the gods, one could find out peoples losses quite easily.

edit:
    Also, yes it is just a MOBA so many skills translate very well while it also attracts many non-MOBA-veterans like myself. Personally i just could not stomach the awkward RTS-style controls of other MOBAs which in my opinion are just very bad for a game with ony one unit.
    As such i had to learn a lot of the genres ways and it took me around 100 games before i firstly managed a positive W/L.

But the matchmaking only cares so much for your level. There is a hidden TrueSkill rating that is far more important after something like level 15. Not long until your rating will be good enough for it to pair you with way higher level players.

and more edit:
    Concerning the gods. I would agree that it probably is good to have a god for every role early on. Ymir is an awesome tank, probably among the best two. Ra and He Bo are both nice mages, allthough completely different in playstyle. Sun Wukong and Kali are really good assasins/melee carries, so those roles can easily be filled with just the starter gods. Sadly there is not a very good ranged AD among them. While Artemis scales insanely well and can do monstrous damage, she has no escape and thus is not really good if played without a dedicated tank who babysits her.
    If you really want a good god for every role, i would suggest putting your first 5500 favor towards either Anhur or Neith as those are probably the best ranged ADs currently. Especially Anhur.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 30-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Network Hub
    Cool I'll give that a look, yeh I was assuming it might start putting me against people who understand the game soon, its the same as all the other Moba's you can only get away with stomping people for a while then you start getting matched vs equal skilled individuals, I'll be happy when that happens :)

One thing I am enjoying is its making my map awareness better because I'm constantly thinking "oh god their right behind me aren't they?!" since I can't see backwards like you can in top downs :D

Obscure Node
    I've been dabbling with Smite for 2 or 3 weeks now and am only familiar with a small number of gods(provided they are all Neith).

I might require some tutoring but at least I do know the objectives for all modes.

SMITE user name is bfandreas.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Cool I'll give that a look, yeh I was assuming it might start putting me against people who understand the game soon, its the same as all the other Moba's you can only get away with stomping people for a while then you start getting matched vs equal skilled individuals, I'll be happy when that happens :)

One thing I am enjoying is its making my map awareness better because I'm constantly thinking "oh god their right behind me aren't they?!" since I can't see backwards like you can in top downs :D
    's allright. Loki is off of free rotation. Bad news is: Bastet isn't :D

When I started 2 weeks ago somebody told me start with Hel since she is a very good lane-pusher. In retrospect that baptism by fire propably made me stronger since I have yet to have a heart attack.
    Last edited by bfandreas; 17-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.

What i never really pointed out, invitations are active for only 72 hours so if anyone missed theirs, the easiest way would be to send me a pm here for a reinvite.

Quote Originally Posted by bfandreas View Post
    I've been dabbling with Smite for 2 or 3 weeks now and am only familiar with a small number of gods(provided they are all Neith).

I might require some tutoring but at least I do know the objectives for all modes.

SMITE user name is bfandreas.

(...)
    Sent. However, 2 of our 3 most active players are out of town this week-end, so the 'at least two are online every evening on average' part may very well not be true until next week.

btw, i also bought Hel first. And i also got my ass handed to me for many many games. ^^
    And i still am not really good with her.

Network Hub
    Well I had a game with the guy with the bola's recently, that escalated quickly... yeh hes quite rediculous lol.

But then real life reared it's ugly head and I haven't gotten online for it for a while, will have to get some in this weekend / next week... Are you guys just on RPS mumble when you play?

Normally we just use skype as it mostly is just Kekswal, Duschlamp and me playing together and we have each other on skype anyways.
    But if we play together and want to go tryhard mode with voice comms, the inofficial RPS mumble will most likely be the comms of choice so it would not hurt to set that one up, i guess. ^^