Skills for Norse linemen

Norse linemen only have standard access to general skills and I am not sure how to build them.

At the moment I am taking tackle as their 2nd skill and shadowing as their 3rd. Obviously if I am lucky enough to get a double they will be getting guard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Fend is good. It will keep them alive and well (it counters the worst excesses of Frenzy and Piling On) and can be something of a nuisance in large numbers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dirty player?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Kick on one, maybe wrestle on a couple (bit redundant with block but useful to have wrackle players for taking down ball carriers). And maybe sack them if they get to 3 skills without a double or +stat?

The lack of guard access for anyone that doesn't also have frenzy is a real hindrance for Norse. I think I may have to resort to sacking them one they hit level 3 and don't have guard/+1 S.

Fend, Tackle or Pro were my preferences.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Zoraster had strong views on ST4 norse linemen at one stage. I believe he thought they were bloat and should be avoided.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    ST4 linos for Norse are bloat, in my opinion. Linos will die/get crippled with depressing frequency.

With regard to Norse, I usually take my first skill up on any lino as Kick (unless double, in which case you probably want Guard).

Depending on specification, you want Fend or Tackle as a first skill. Fend for the guys on the line (nothing slows down a cage faster) and Tackle for deep field players. Depends on the teams you're likely to be facing most often.

And as Everblue said, building one as a fouling machine can be a smart idea.

For more information I'd recommend checking out www.bbtactics.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Dirty player?
    A complete waste, Norse are good candidates for kick off return, pass block, pro, tackle, kick and fend.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Any numbers for the claim that DP is a "complete waste"? Also, Norse are a horrible candidate for KOR, they are fast enough as is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

I found this to be interesting. I've also seen some more discussion on this topic elsewhere, with even more numbers/analyses. But where?

I fail to see how DP on a 50k lino is a bad choice. Any piece that costs 50k is disposable and one that has the potential to cause additional damage? Marvellous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    I fail to see how DP on a 50k lino is a bad choice. Any piece that costs 50k is disposable and one that has the potential to cause additional damage? Marvellous.
    Personally? They already have block, they are already equipped to hurt people. I'll be honest, I was wrong DP on a lino is a good thing. But most players are care bears who wouldn't get any use out of it anyway.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The trouble with dirty player is freeing up the dude with it to actually make fouls on a regular basis (assuming they don't get sent off). For most teams the linemen are there to block space and mark big nasties, hard to do that and administer a shoeing at the same time. I'd never take DP on a zombie for example - ideal foulers but they're so slow and unagile the chances of being in the right place at the right time are low enough that it's 20TV pretty much wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    The trouble with dirty player is freeing up the dude with it to actually make fouls on a regular basis (assuming they don't get sent off). For most teams the linemen are there to block space and mark big nasties, hard to do that and administer a shoeing at the same time. I'd never take DP on a zombie for example - ideal foulers but they're so slow and unagile the chances of being in the right place at the right time are low enough that it's 20TV pretty much wasted.
    I always try to foul from the rear - in that I mean the target to be fouled is either in the middle or slightly behind my front line. This helps to keep the fouler free as if the foul fails there will be players around to free up the fouler with blocks if I so wish. Doesnt always work like that though

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    I always try to foul from the rear
    Now there's a quote that's ripe for misinterpretation...

Thing about Norse is that they break so goddamn easily, any opportunity that you have to thin the numbers out on the other side is useful. Yes, block does give them a bit more survivability - but you'd be amazed quite how often it doesn't matter. DP for me gives you an extra chance at putting one of their positionals in their correct location, namely the injury box.

I can attest to the usefulness of fend on Norse linemen. For a team with very little dodge, AV 7 and Agi 3 across the board, fend gives a nice boost to survivability with the bonus of letting you reposition your player the following turn without making a dodge roll.

Just make sure you set it as an optional skill in the game settings, as there are occasions where you'll not want to use it.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com