Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Shadow of the Eternals: Eternal Darkness Kickstarter

I suppose this was a bit of an inevitability, wasn't it? I'm pretty torn. On the one hand, I've always wanted a sequel to Eternal Darkness, but on the other hand the trailer has left me cold. Not to mention Silicon Knight's abysmal record in the last decade, and to compound matters further apparently Nintendo owns a patent for "sanity system for video games". Perhaps someone more savvy in such matters can explain how Amnesia got away with it. The Kickstarter kick starts proper on Monday for PC and Wii U. I haven't bothered with any Kickstarters since Wasteland 2 got the ball rolling, but this is the first one that's seriously given me any pause. I guess all I can do now is wait to see the reward tiers.

Ars Article
    Developer's Website (seems to be down)

How much Silicon Knight is involved here? I'm certainly not going to throw money at people who fucked up that badly, no matter how much I would like to see an Eternal Darkness sequel.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Denis Dyack, (current?) president, founder, and lead developer on Blood Omen, Eternal Darkness, and Too Human is heading the project. As far as I can tell that's the only link to Silicon Knights that has been released thus far. In fact, I can't even figure out what it is exactly SK does these days, besides pay out to Epic.

Edit: Apparently this very pitch contributed to the failure of X-Men: Destiny and by extension the studio. I remain ever skeptical.
    Last edited by sabrage; 04-05-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm that makes me very suspicious whos actually making this then? Yeah I'm going to have to know a lot more information before backing this even though I really want an Eternal Darkness sequel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Itsd gonna be episodic,12 episodes..Kickstarter is only for first one. So what if episode fails,we won't see 11 other ? TO MANY QUESTIONS NOT SO MANY ANSWERS! :x

I can't imagine any informed gamer trusting Denis Dyack with their kickstarter money. Courts determined that he stole code from Epic and lied about it to the point that he had to pull Too Human off the shelves. The X-Men game was a fiasco due to his mis-allocation of resources (and that's putting it nicely). His stance regarding used games "killing" the industry certainly wasn't consumer-friendly. His confrontational personality issues (heck, he was even banned from NeoGAF) are also well documented.

Kickstarter is in large part about the reputation of the person behind the product and Dyack's reputation should be a massive red flag to anyone who considers supporting the kickstarter.

A rare example of a sequel kickstarter ruined by the presence of the actual creator.
    No one should want anything to do with this. But then I just found out about people who like Too Human. A game that was so bad I literally chucked the disc out the window.

And yeah, as Sabrage says they've been working on it now for about three years as this article mentions they were working on the demo a year before their 2011 Xmen game was released. And *thats* what it looks like?

Clearly Nintendo must have been working them like a dog if this is the shit they put out on their own steam.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran