Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,000

    Firefall BETA and Thoughts so Far

    I just lost three hours of my day.

    I don't know where they went, those hours. Not precisely. I was wandering through a gorgeous, colorful landscape. Taking in the sights and marveling at the distance my jetpack can cover in one leap. Then darkness fell and I switched on a flashlight. Strange, alien creatures rushed at me in the dark and I took them down with something that seems a cross between a laser blaster and a shotgun. My tour of this new South America was so far a smooth one.

    Then I stumbled upon a Thumper. Apparently this is some sort of Dune-esque resource mining/gathering apparatus. Over a short period of time it mines the land for alien resources. But the strange creatures that plague this alien version of South America don't appreciate the Thumper. Given sufficient time and left to their own devices, they will destroy one before the resources can be gathered and the thumper launched and returned to base.

    But we weren't going to let that happen. We blasted and strafed and called in health and ammo drops and guarded the Thumper until the job was done. Then we called in a second Thumper some small distance away and stood our ground while that one got the job done, too. Finally, exhausted from the fight, we returned to town to spend our newly earned experience, check our loadouts and upgrades and even, perhaps, marvel at the sheer, colorful spectacle of this new world.

    Or tried to.

    That's when the Tornado set down. A whirling, churning mass of unholy, extraterrestrial darkness vomited enemies onto the landscape. Spinning, whirling, moving our direction. The tornado. And the enemies using it as their nest. We drove them back, breaking only to call in ammo and health drops. Others joined our struggle. They were strangers, each one drawn by the promise of challenge and the struggle of their comrades to survive this mysterious onslaught. Or maybe just good old fashioned curiosity. Either way they came, and we fought side by side through waves of alien life forms until the storm subsided.



    This is Firefall. Colorful. Fast-paced. Full of random events, wholly unscripted group activities and a pleasant assortment of classes, any of which can be switched out at appropriate locations, such as towns and bases. I've played only 3+ hours of the game so far, and that's enough to know both that I like it, and that I will be back when the game goes live. Me - the person who, after bouncing off of WoW, Rift and Vindictus, swore off MMO's pretty well for life.

    Can I see the potential for repetitive, even monotonous actions in Firefall? Sure I can. I can see a day when all of this gets old. When I burn out, or need a long break. I can also see that Firefall is free to play. That I won't feel like I am wasting on investment when I take that break.

    More important than those things, however, is that I see a world full of color, vibrantly eschewing the belief that video games only come in browns and grays. A World where I can be any class I feel like playing, on any given day of the week, and where I can change my play style when I change my mood - and as often. And I can see all of this for free.

    What's not to like. Come on out and give it a try. The Open Beta just started. And who knows, you just might like it. Or get swallowed by an alien tornado. Either way, you get to see something genuinely different from the MMO space, for once.

  2. #2
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    I hadn't really paid any attention to this game because I assumed it was an exclusively third-person affair and I'm not very keen on that.



    I was so very wrong obviously. Count me in.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    To its credit Firefall not only features first person perspective, but it offers players the choice to switch between both views at any one time. The only exceptions are for gliding (the "travel" system consists of finding Hang Glider spawns and flying great distances in the air without concern for enemies) and for some special moves. For instance the Assault Frame (class; switchable on the fly, too) has a power leap where they jump into the air and hammer everyone around them in a small radius. The move happens in 3rd person, but the transition is seamless - far better than, say, Deus Ex: Happy Reunion.

    So far I have had a blast. My day went...somewhere. Sure you're doing the same things time and again (MMO) but as opposed to most MMO's, the things you're doing over and over, are actually fun. That is helped by the fact that this is an MMO that wants you paying attention to the screen, and not to a hotkey bar.

  4. #4
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    What matters to me is having fun doing those things. I don't have much fun in MMO RPGs. But this looks like a more co-op based Planetside Lite.

    I want it. I want it now.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  5. #5
    Network Hub Mbaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    105
    I enjoyed your preview Blackcompany, thank you.

    Certainly keeping my eye on this, although I'll wait for release rather than diving in now, I think I'll get a few hours of quality entertainment out of it at the very least. Last time I saw this, they were pitching a reworking of the PvP elements, I pretty much forgot about the PvE, glad to see it's still there and enjoyable.

    Love it or hate it, we're certainly seeing some quality joining the free to play ranks.
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    What matters to me is having fun doing those things. I don't have much fun in MMO RPGs. But this looks like a more co-op based Planetside Lite.

    I want it. I want it now.
    After playing both this and PS2, Firefall does feel to me like a coop version of PS2. At least somewhat. To me the battles I fight in Firefall have a far greater context. Within the confines of the world Red5 has created those battles matter. And that matters to me. I tired of PS2's meaningless, endless, contextless battles quite quickly. Which is not to knock the quality of PS2 - what it does, it does very well, but its just not for me.

    On the other hand...Firefall is basically a coop shooter. Its fun solo or with friends. And so far I have yet to see public chat devolve into e-peen comparisons and motty mouthed bragging. Whether that's because this is beta, due to a better, more mature community or because of heavy moderation I do not know. But its a welcome change.

    If you enjoy coop shooters - and inparticular the style of the Borderlands games - I highly recommend giving Firefall a try.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    I left in a hurry when they started making "manga comic" to promote the game.

    EU server yet?

  8. #8
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    24
    The game has some potential but everytime I hear the words "free to play" I become somewhat skeptical about the progress that could be made without spending money.I feel cheated when I am left in a position to buy say "exp boost" and what have ya for 5 dollars to a point which may accumulate to more than 60 dollars(it most certainly does) and production values rarely justify the price.I'd rather spend 60 dollars upfront and not give any money afterwards.

  9. #9
    Network Hub Blackice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastleigh, UK
    Posts
    302
    It reminded me of Giants : Citizen Kabuto, the general aesthetic and the jetpacks of course. The combat felt more dynamic than PS2, if on a smaller scale (so far anyway). Will definitely be playing this some more.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,133
    I got sucked into this for hours the other night, and jolly fun it was, too. Colourful and pretty landscapes, fairly satisfying weapons and combat, and there seems to be a fair bit of dynamism to the world, for an MMO, which is a nice change. Quite a pleasant crowd, too, I ran into not a single dickhead.

    Those Chosen things are bloody scary, though. Brr. Also their servers were really strained, with most of the tutorial and upgrade screens unavailable a lot of the time, as they pull information from the server, which was overwhelmed. They could have designed that a bit better. But on the plus side, there's nothing stopping you from just shoving the tutorial aside and diving straight into the nearest fight and/or exploring, which I did.

    I'll be back for the next one, I expect. Two non-shit MMOs in the space of a few months. Heavens.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,034
    I played a 4 hours version, and had a lot of fun with a group of random guys. This game is designed so everything gives experience to everyone, and you find lots of people superfriendly and cool. You can always find a group of people working on a thumper and will greet any new hands.

    What my group did, was to run from emergency to emergency (mostly bases conquered by the evil guys) and whe where running from one side of the map to the other, but was very cool.

    One thing I don't know what happened is the crafting, I can't understand it now.. also I only have find one vendor. Seems the game have suffered huge changes.

  12. #12
    Obscure Node mufasaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9
    i like the open areas, and the third person shooter perspective, day and night cycle, not a bad game.

  13. #13
    Network Hub ran93r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Warwick, UK.
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I left in a hurry when they started making "manga comic" to promote the game.

    EU server yet?
    For a couple of months now.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    I didn't take advantage of the weekend. Is it open-open now?

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    I didn't take advantage of the weekend. Is it open-open now?
    i don't think so. i have an invite if you want, though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    I just lost three hours of my day.

    I don't know where they went, those hours. Not precisely. I was wandering through a gorgeous, colorful landscape. Taking in the sights and marveling at the distance my jetpack can cover in one leap. Then darkness fell and I switched on a
    flashlight. Strange, alien creatures rushed at me in the dark and I took them down with something that seems a cross between a laser blaster and a shotgun. My tour of this new South America was so far a smooth one.

    Then I stumbled upon a Thumper. Apparently this is some sort of Dune-esque resource mining/gathering apparatus. Over a short period of time it mines the land for alien resources. But the strange creatures that plague this alien version of South America don't appreciate the Thumper. Given sufficient time and left to their own devices, they will destroy one before the resources can be gathered and the thumper launched and returned to base.

    But we weren't going to let that happen. We blasted and strafed and called in health and ammo drops and guarded the Thumper until the job was done. Then we called in a second Thumper some small distance away and stood our ground while that one got the job done, too. Finally, exhausted from the fight, we returned to town to spend our newly earned experience, check our loadouts and upgrades and even, perhaps, marvel at the sheer, colorful spectacle of this new world.

    Or tried to.

    That's when the Tornado set down. A whirling, churning mass of unholy, extraterrestrial darkness vomited enemies onto the landscape. Spinning, whirling, moving our direction. The tornado. And the enemies using it as their nest. We drove them back, breaking only to call in ammo and health drops. Others joined our struggle. They were strangers, each one drawn by the promise of challenge and the struggle of their comrades to survive this mysterious onslaught. Or maybe just good old fashioned curiosity. Either way they came, and we fought side by side through waves of alien life forms until the storm subsided.



    This is Firefall. Colorful. Fast-paced. Full of random events, wholly unscripted group activities and a pleasant assortment of classes, any of which can be switched out at appropriate locations, such as towns and bases. I've played only 3+ hours of the game so far, and that's enough to know both that I like it, and that I will be back when the game goes live. Me - the person who, after bouncing off of WoW, Rift and Vindictus, swore off MMO's pretty well for life.

    Can I see the potential for repetitive, even monotonous actions in Firefall? Sure I can. I can see a day when all of this gets old. When I burn out, or need a long break. I can also see that Firefall is free to play. That I won't feel like I am wasting on investment when I take that break.

    More important than those things, however, is that I see a world full of color, vibrantly eschewing the belief that video games only come in browns and grays. A World where I can be any class I feel like playing, on any given day of the week, and where I can change my play style when I change my mood - and as often. And I can see all of this for free.

    What's not to like. Come on out and give it a try. The Open Beta just started. And who knows, you just might like it. Or get swallowed by an alien tornado. Either way, you get to see something genuinely different from the MMO space, for once.
    Firefall is awesome game. I got it last month and it is too good for sure. :) Would love to get more games soon
    Last edited by EliasDennis; 16-05-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •