Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

Chivalry Free Weekend DID U PLAY IT

I played it! It was fun, and hearkened me back to the days of the Half-life 1 mod "Pirates, Vikings, and Knights". I was able to master the timing-and-facing-based blocking much better than I ever did with the directional blocking in, say, Mount & Blade (although without directional blocking it feels like a slightly less genuine fight to me, it has the advantage of being a fight I might survive). It seemed like a thing I would like to buy; good multiplayer melee games are fairly few and far between. Ones with good smoke grenades and the ability to set everyone on fire, even more so!

However (and this is not saying anything new or startling) the shonkiness of the server browser and upgrade tracking makes me think I should wait for reports about the upcoming patch...I left the game on the main menu for a few hours and when I returned, it had magically removed my upgraded polearms and maces and axes, but given me an upgraded sabre and crossbow instead! (Which was fun for the free weekend, but I think I would be sad if that happened IN REAL LIFE!)

Also I discovered that as long as I never closed the game, I would have been able to keep playing the free weekend indeterminately. (But this was about the same time I discovered that my upgraded weapons were all gone, so I might have been too heartbroken to take villainous advantage of this free weekend flaw, even if I were so inclined).

Strangely, I didn't have any problems with lag except on one server (or maybe I'm so accustomed to lagging on my internet that it just didn't stand out here =P).

DID U PLAY IT.
    WAZ IT FUN.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I didn't play it, despite getting the game fo' cheaps in the Steam winter sale.

I, uh, guess my part in conversation is over.

I didn't play it, despite getting the game fo' cheaps in the Steam winter sale.

I, uh, guess my part in conversation is over.
    and WAZ IT FUN! :D
    Last edited by Berzee; 28-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Banned
    Didn't play it but i bought the game a couple months back. I get pretty bad performance, especially when there are multiple enemies, so i'm looking forward to the new duel mode.

I think it's a fine game. Just that alot of the timing involved is based on not parrying too early which can get a little annoying and counter-intuitive. I'd rather the game have lightning fast weapons to be honest. Heck the MAA's dash move is literally teleportation anyway (at least when i see it).

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I think it's a fine game. Just that alot of the timing involved is based on not parrying too early which can get a little annoying and counter-intuitive. I'd rather the game have lightning fast weapons to be honest. Heck the MAA's dash move is literally teleportation anyway (at least when i see it).
    This so much. The act of swinging even one-handed weapons seems sluggish to me, like you're emerged in water which slows you way down.

A mod to speed them up would make me reinstall in an instant.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

I tried to, but I didn't see more than 10 servers, and those were full the two times I checked.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    DID U PLAY IT.
    Yep, for an hour or two on Sunday morning.

WAZ IT FUN.
    The game itself seems well enough. The maps look good and seem to have a decent layout, characters look good, weapons seem different enough to suit a number of playstyles, I didn't really check out the upgrade system but it is apparently there, and the online connections seemed to work fine as I didn't notice any lag.

However, the melee combat just didn't get me excited about playing the game much more. This isn't the first time that happens, so I'm not putting it on the game. I try to but usually don't like beat 'em ups and I usually end up using bows or magic in The Elder Scrolls games, too.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    However, the melee combat just didn't get me excited about playing the game much more. This isn't the first time that happens, so I'm not putting it on the game. I try to but usually don't like beat 'em ups and I usually end up using bows or magic in The Elder Scrolls games, too.
    I was trying to convince my fellow players that it would be a good idea to add a genuine medieval Wizard class, but they were very reticent in their support for the idea.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I was trying to convince my fellow players that it would be a good idea to add a genuine medieval Wizard class, but they were very reticent in their support for the idea.
    What does a genuine medieval Wizard do? Predict eclipses?

Bought it a bit before christmas. Enjoyed it a lot but, like pretty much every multiplayer game I've ever played, I lost interest after a few days. :|

Activated Node
    I tried to, but for some reason all sound would mute after a some few minutes into the game, which made it unplayable. It went as far as muting every sound on Windows even after the game was closed, forcing me to restart. I reinstalled DirectX, my sound drivers and a few other supposed fixes I found online, but couldn't get it to work.

So, unfortunately, the weekend passed and I didn't play. It's a shame, I'd love to play it as I loved the Source mod Age of Chivalry back then. Good thing I didn't buy the game before, though, I'd be very pissed having this issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I played it for an hour,maybe slightly less and didn't liked it. I mean sure graphics are nice,gameplay is tight but somehow i didn't enjoy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I purchased it during the previous sales and played with a friend during the free weekend, it was hard finding a server during that weekend since everything was about full.

But I do enjoy the game, I like how every weapon has it's own style and weight behind it although there aren't many weapons available at the moment. The game looks amazing though and chopping someone's head and arms off is satisfying as hell. Really curious how much the game will expand.

Also we should hold a RPS match or two, would be fun.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Fun game, but a few tips:

Skip out on basically every mode except Team Objective and MAYBE dueling. TO is awesome, but pretty much everything else requires a very competent team to really be fun (it just takes three people working together to wipe out an entire team in team deathmatch, for example).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Fun game, but a few tips:

Skip out on basically every mode except Team Objective and MAYBE dueling. TO is awesome, but pretty much everything else requires a very competent team to really be fun (it just takes three people working together to wipe out an entire team in team deathmatch, for example).
    The bombcart, battering ram and defend the king objective were pretty fun but yeah, if you don't have a decent team you're gonna get over run or in our case, have a team killer that ruins it for everyone.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The bombcart, battering ram and defend the king objective were pretty fun but yeah, if you don't have a decent team you're gonna get over run or in our case, have a team killer that ruins it for everyone.
    I mostly avoided the free weekend, but in practice you rarely have a TKer that is trying to grief (or, at least, a TKer trying to grief who TKs more than the people playing for fun :p).

And I find TO works a bit better since it allows for a wider range of skill level in teams while still staying fun, whereas the other mods are EASILY dominated by a competent team. As long as everyone knows the basics of how to fight and run toward objectives, TO stays fun. Plus, TO has much faster respawns so that is a plus.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I played it. It was hell. Every server was full, and those that weren't full were 19/20 31/32 or just hideously overcrowded. And of those that weren't overcrowded (of which there was no guarantee) were playing FFA - otherwise known as the shit gamemode that everyone loves because plebs are bad at being entertained.

I like the game a lot when it's NOT the free weekend though!

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    plebs are bad at being entertained.
    I guess I'm a free, land-owning Roman citizen, because I quite liked the FFA mode. =) Especially for a free weekend -- when one of the goals is just to find out if you like the moment-to-moment combat enough to stick around and see how team play shakes out, FFA is the easiest way to get in a lot of fights quickly and get sparring practice.

One downside of a weapon unlock system is that I think a lot of people (myself included) were playing to maximize killz in order to see all the fighting styles the game had to offer before the time was up. Another good reason to play FFA -- so my n00bish nonsense would not drag down whole teams. ^__^ (I didn't actually like the more objective-based modes as much, because they tended to force the combat into a very centralized meat-grinder situation...which doesn't fit my preferred style of skirting around the edges and leaping out of doorways). On the whole, I think my favorite mode was the one where you try to diminish the other team's reinforcements -- that was a good mixture of impromptu combat co-op without too much danger of bungling everything for people.

The best thing about FFA is the Claymore and Zweihander, once you're in motion you become a whirlwind of severed limbs and heads. It's pretty crazy but don't go swinging it in an objective or team match because team kills are hard to avoid with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The best thing about FFA is the Claymore and Zweihander, once you're in motion you become a whirlwind of severed limbs and heads. It's pretty crazy but don't go swinging it in an objective or team match because team kills are hard to avoid with it.
    If you stick to overhanding it is still safe in most team battles. You shouldn't really get involved in the humping regardless of weapon.

And was having a fun match last night. Team Deathmatch. We won the first two rounds, they won the next four. So I put away my spear and grabbed my claymore.

MVP AND we won the next three consecutive rounds :p

But that is also my annoyance. The claymore is REALLY god damned powerful, but it just isn't as much fun as a lot of the weapons.