Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Didnt play during the free weekend. As some others here I got it during a sale before christmas. I enjoyed it most of the time (got 40 hours out of it so far) but I am feeling less and less motivated to play. On to the bad things:

- the UT3 engine is as clunky as ever
    - the team modes except the Objective mode are boring
    - some maps are not very balanced (the first part on Hillside is way too easy to defend for example)
    - in some parts it feels like a beta (server browser not working etc)
    - I dont improve my skill. I know thats a very personal reason, but I just dont get consistent results. Have been playing online fps for many years now, and normally I end up in the upper parts of the score tables after some hours. Here it often happens that I end at the bottom. Hitting nothing, be it melee or if I play as archer. Terribly frustrating! :(

Good things:

- Press C for battlecry
    - reminded me of Die by the Sword (it was also the first game since DBTS that had me laughing madly infront of the screen for the first hours)
    - close matches in objective mode are great fun!
    - free future updates that promise new content (duel mode cant come soon enough!)

Still recommend it getting it for a low price though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The best thing about FFA is the Claymore and Zweihander, once you're in motion you become a whirlwind of severed limbs and heads. It's pretty crazy but don't go swinging it in an objective or team match because team kills are hard to avoid with it.
    If you stick to overhanding it is still safe in most team battles. You shouldn't really get involved in the humping regardless of weapon.

And was having a fun match last night. Team Deathmatch. We won the first two rounds, they won the next four. So I put away my spear and grabbed my claymore.

MVP AND we won the next three consecutive rounds :p

But that is also my annoyance. The claymore is REALLY god damned powerful, but it just isn't as much fun as a lot of the weapons.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I had a fun afternoon with some friends but that was pretty much it. I'd rather play other games as drop-in drop-out stuff.

- I dont improve my skill. I know thats a very personal reason, but I just dont get consistent results. Have been playing online fps for many years now, and normally I end up in the upper parts of the score tables after some hours. Here it often happens that I end at the bottom. Hitting nothing, be it melee or if I play as archer. Terribly frustrating! :(
    I was topping the charts on my fourth game on a 24p server. Depends a lot on your weapon. I went hammer-shield, then warhammer. OHK on overhead, stagger on horizontal and death on combo except for knights, which needed an extra blow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Does anyone else remember UT2k4 mod The Soulkeeper? That was an amazing swordfighting game, the mages were just spectacularly fun.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I was trying to convince my fellow players that it would be a good idea to add a genuine medieval Wizard class, but they were very reticent in their support for the idea.
    What does a genuine medieval Wizard do? Predict eclipses?

Activated Node
    I bought the game during the winter sale and I'm up to rank 34 as of last night. I'd say a key to enjoyment of the game is improving your personal skill. There are many disparate elements that one can work on (timing, movement, blocking, feinting, combos, etc.) that make the difference between a new player and an experienced one massive. That said, anyone can kill anyone else in this game at any time, given the right weapon or circumstance.

So if you're getting frustrated, get in a small game and work on just one piece (blocking/parrying is a good place to start). You'll find yourself moving up the charts no matter the game-mode!

Joining friends games via Steam doesn't work very well for me but I'd love a good coordinated game with some RPS people.

Obscure Node
    I myself also remembered the fun times I had playing pirates,vikings and knights.But I couldnt justify the purchase as this felt like a mod more than a game.

And playing reminded me why I try to avoid free weekends.

Three rounds, all non-stop "So and so is hacking, ban them" and "Yargh, I am gonna call you a <blank>less <blank> you black <blank>". Although, it still gets points over NS2 in that more than just me was saying things along the lines of "If you must act like a child, could you at least not use hatespeech?"

Maybe I'll do some more RO2. Been a while since that.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I played it. It was really bad. Clunky as hell, combat is completely inferior to M&B in every way (one blocking direction, seriously?), it has some serious issues with player actions that are basically locked animations and you can't control them at all. There's also a lot of sillyness going on mechanical level, for example what happened to me quite a lot is when you land a hit on the guy and it doesn't interrupt his attack, models phasing through one another without collisions etc. Oh, and it doesn't even have cavalry. On the bright side, gamemodes seem to be quite fun and graphics/effects is okay, the game is also really newbie-friendly, you don't need to spend hours and hours practicing blocking and reactions just to be able to actually play and score kills.

All in all, it's not as bad as War of the Roses but I still wouldn't bother playing it when there's Mount&Blade.
    Last edited by Tres; 29-01-2013 at 02:54 AM.

would have played it if server browser actually found any servers. and if the game exe didnt hang the system upon exiting the game.

Got it during the winter sale. Easily the best purchase I made there! I love the game to bits. It's painstakingly difficult at first, but I had this feeling all the time that I was slowly becoming better and better. Nowadays I can even sometimes get a >1 k/d ratio! I play almost nothing but Team Objective. TO focuses the combat nicely and sort of forces at least some level of team work.

The free weekend was rather horrible in many ways, but it also helped me unlock all the Vanguard primary weapons as I slashed down hordes of noobs... Of course, as of yesterday the hunter has become the hunted again, so to say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    If you stick to overhanding it is still safe in most team battles. You shouldn't really get involved in the humping regardless of weapon.

And was having a fun match last night. Team Deathmatch. We won the first two rounds, they won the next four. So I put away my spear and grabbed my claymore.

MVP AND we won the next three consecutive rounds :p

But that is also my annoyance. The claymore is REALLY god damned powerful, but it just isn't as much fun as a lot of the weapons.
    Yeah, I should perhaps re-map my keys; mouse wheel as attacks is a bit weird.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Activated Node
    I played it, but having only one blocking direction was kind of a instant turn-off for me, amongst other things.

I enjoyed it though, the team objective mode was very well done and has some great looking environments.

TBH though, I still prefer M&B Warband even if it is more "primitive" in some aspects, it wins out with multiple blocking directions, enormous character customization and weapon variety (especially in crpg mod), and the singleplayer aspect.

I gotta say though, that the combat in Chivalry felt very "meaty", they definitely got that part right.

Quote Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
    I played it, but having only one blocking direction was kind of a instant turn-off for me, amongst other things.

I enjoyed it though, the team objective mode was very well done and has some great looking environments.

TBH though, I still prefer M&B Warband even if it is more "primitive" in some aspects, it wins out with multiple blocking directions, enormous character customization and weapon variety (especially in crpg mod), and the singleplayer aspect.

I gotta say though, that the combat in Chivalry felt very "meaty", they definitely got that part right.
    One blocking direction? But blocking in Chivalry works so that you have to turn towards the landing hit, so that the tip of the enemy's weapon is in the middle of your screen... so basically, you have infinite blocking directions? Whereas in M&B, you had four possible blocks.

Activated Node
    Hmm ok I stand corrected. I must not have understood the system correctly.

I still missed the sheer variety of stuff that Warband gives me though ;)

Banned
    It's not really about reacting to direction because the sword swings are generally really slow. It's about blocking at the right time. You will find yourself blocking too early before the hit connects or pre-emptively blocking air. For that reason the game is also about judging distances and attacking defensive (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    It's not really about reacting to direction because the sword swings are generally really slow. It's about blocking at the right time. You will find yourself blocking too early before the hit connects or pre-emptively blocking air. For that reason the game is also about judging distances and attacking defensive (imo).
    It is very much a defense-oriented game.

But you'll notice that with swings from the bigger weapons you really DO have to react to the direction.

M&B/War of the ROses have a VERY good approach for dueling, but they never feel viseral. And larger battles tend to just be orgies of humping (the dagger is probably one of the strongest weapons in War of the Roses for that very reason).
    Chivalry is more about violence and quick battles. It is essentially a Joe Abercrombie novel. Large battles occur where limbs fly everywhere and people die horribly, and the POV characters (Players in this case) will have their own impromptu battles with foes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It is very much a defense-oriented game.

But you'll notice that with swings from the bigger weapons you really DO have to react to the direction.

M&B/War of the ROses have a VERY good approach for dueling, but they never feel viseral. And larger battles tend to just be orgies of humping (the dagger is probably one of the strongest weapons in War of the Roses for that very reason).
    Chivalry is more about violence and quick battles. It is essentially a Joe Abercrombie novel. Large battles occur where limbs fly everywhere and people die horribly, and the POV characters (Players in this case) will have their own impromptu battles with foes.
    The idea of defense goes out the window the moment there are more than one dude coming towards you, though. ;o
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

The idea of defense goes out the window the moment there are more than one dude coming towards you, though. ;o
    It gets more fun then. Few things more fun than parrying and striking back at two or more foes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you're a man at arms, it really doesn't. Just leave. You've got a dodge. Run. If you're a vanguard or knight, the key thing, absolutely key, to remember is friendly fire is on, and enemies can't clip through each other. Make it so that neither of them ever have a clean shot and you can strike at will. In all likelihood you'll still get hit but they'll weaken each other too.