Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Friendly fire doesn't matter. FF damage is significantly discounted vs. normal damage so it's almost always worth it to slash 4 teammates for the chance of chopping one enemy. In other words, in a melee where enemy movement is unpredictable, always use the horizontal slash (just keep hitting lmb). Don't bother doing the vertical slash or the stabs - they're easy to miss with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Friendly fire doesn't matter. FF damage is significantly discounted vs. normal damage so it's almost always worth it to slash 4 teammates for the chance of chopping one enemy. In other words, in a melee where enemy movement is unpredictable, always use the horizontal slash (just keep hitting lmb). Don't bother doing the vertical slash or the stabs - they're easy to miss with.

Maybe it is a server setting, but I almost exclusively play on the Official servers (it is the only way to know it will remain in TO) and maybe damage is slightly lessened if it is FF, but people sitll go down FAST if someone starts swinging wildly during a humpathon.

In other words: Stay the hell on the other team if we ever join the same server :p

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    If you're a man at arms, it really doesn't. Just leave. You've got a dodge. Run. If you're a vanguard or knight, the key thing, absolutely key, to remember is friendly fire is on, and enemies can't clip through each other. Make it so that neither of them ever have a clean shot and you can strike at will. In all likelihood you'll still get hit but they'll weaken each other too.
    This.

During one of the bile-filled matches last night, it was the map where you have to kill the King. I worked with an archer on my team. Basiaclly I (a vanguard with my claymore of "I just want to win now") charged the mass of enemies clustering around the king and just started humping the king while parrying and swinging. I was able to kill two of them before the dropped me (I suspect I never even hit the King), and they severely FF'd the crap out of the King in the process. So then my buddy fires a single crossbow bolt into the King's torso, he dies, we win.
    Last edited by gundato; 29-01-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Getting stabbed to death by your own side Vs not getting stabbed to death by your own side: Which is better?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah I've been killed often enough by a friendly vanguard with a bardiche/greatsword/billhook or a knight with a maul/longsword/poleaxe to know that friendly fire is fearsome. Please never be on the same team as me.

Activated Node
    I love when 2/3/4 people attack me in this game. I beat them all a lot more than you might think. The key to remember is that people get stupid when the odds are in their favor (i.e. they forget to block and just charge in thinking its an easy kill). So you let them run in, sidestep the first one and cut his head off and then the others get nervous and you mop them up. Alternatively, you back up like you're scared then charge then charge for the other side of the group while doing a LMB-LMB combo. Good times.

Also, I don't get the blocking thing. It's far more realistic and fun in Chivalry. It's both timing AND direction. So if it's a large weapon (Giant Hammer) or a fast one (MAA with dane axe), you'll get hit if you just block forward. Move your weapon farther than you might think to actually parry. Or use a shield. And if you don't learn kicks and feints, it's near impossible to beat an experienced player 1v1. Those interrupts really make the game more than pure hack 'n slash, despite what noob vanguards with halberds might make you think.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Jones; 30-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Activated Node
    The big update just happened. 1.6 GB... New maps, flails, duels, and more!

Sexy. I am not touching this game for at least a week :P
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    I very much like this game. I was a huge fan of Pirates, Vikings and Knights (I & II) and this is of course very much like that (and it's own Source counterpart). This is prettier and simply plays even better than what it's original mod did. I highly recommend picking it up.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I tend to suck after not playing for a while, which frustrates me, which in turn makes me play obsessively for long stretches of time. But I kind of want to see the update.

Obscure Node
    I either have periods of doing really really good or REALLY REALLY bad.

Those moments of good out weight the bad, however.

Oh what the hell guys.

I only just now learned you can manipulate the speed of your attacks by moving your mouse in the same or opposite direction as the swing. I would have never figured this out unless someone on the PCG boards told me.

My kingdom for a proper manual with this game.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I can't remember if the tutorial taught you that or not. It kept crashing on me, so I gave up and watched a video tutorial that was far more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I can't remember if the tutorial taught you that or not. It kept crashing on me, so I gave up and watched a video tutorial that was far more helpful.
    Nope. It just taught you what buttons do what basically and then "now do it 3 times". The most advanced thing it taught you was how to operate siege weapons. It doesn't even tell you parrying only works if you're aiming at your opponent's weapon.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    It doesn't even tell you parrying only works if you're aiming at your opponent's weapon.
    It does!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoYdaON4aA&t=1m24s

(But I don't remember anything about the weapon speed, at least).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Banned
    how the fuck do you block shit when you get face hugged? You can't fucking kick because the move is too fucking slow. You can't block because apparently it doesn't work even though you're blocking RIGHT AT THE FUCKING WEAPON with YOUR OWN FUCKING WEAPON. Either the block display is completely fucking misleading or this game is just fucking bugged.

Also who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to add feints to this game? Genius. Turns fights into total crapshoots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Without feints, there'd be no way round the one-on-one eternal blockfests. I never got the hang of them (only played it for the one weekend), and most competent fighters I faced would cause a stalemate until they pulled off a feint or someone else showed up.

I'm with you on the close range blocking, though. I died many times from an attack I was certain I blocked, while aiming right at the incoming weapon. And was stabbed to death with a dagger, through a shield, from the front, several times before I abandoned the shield as a total waste of time. I get that attacking from a flank would go around the shield, but when someone runs at you with a dagger and it somehow gets round your shield, arm, and armour, it's a little ridiculous, especially given how hard it is to land a blow on those dodgy ninja fuckers, too.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 03-02-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Banned
    I need a rest. This game makes me rage way too much. Already destroyed my headphone. Tried to destroy my mouse but couldn't do it with grip strength alone. My forearm is sore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    how the fuck do you block shit when you get face hugged? You can't fucking kick because the move is too fucking slow. You can't block because apparently it doesn't work even though you're blocking RIGHT AT THE FUCKING WEAPON with YOUR OWN FUCKING WEAPON. Either the block display is completely fucking misleading or this game is just fucking bugged.

Also who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to add feints to this game? Genius. Turns fights into total crapshoots.
    It really doesn't. You can only feint an attack during its windup. Wait for it to become an actual attack and then parry. Whole chunks of chivalry are mind games - you don't even need to use feint. Missing the first attack on purpose for the combo backswing (particularly used by vanguards but viable by everyone) and dodging forward -and not actually attacking (causes your opponent to parry an attack that isn't incoming, same result as a feint) are feintless mind games. If someone is pushing against you, strafe left and right. Unless they're psychic, they won't be able to keep themselves right up at you. Also, don't parry-spam. Anyone using dagger stabs is just throwing them between parries.

Banned
    i'm not parry spamming. I'm parrying right at the dagger slash/stab. If it's coming from the left i block left. From the right I block right. At face hug range the parry just doesn't register. I mean i see the animation too. I'm holding out this huge fucking sword right at the incoming path of some broadsword/dagger slash and it hits. Absolutely infuriating. On the other hand, longsword slashes are apparently 100% block-able (and i've noticed they're actually blockable no matter the distance). Just what the hell is going on?

edit:

also i don't really like the fact that it's a mind game. I figured it was a medieval hack & slash sword and shield kill-fest when i bought the game - you know, something that demands speed and accuracy and reflexes. Not poker. It shocked the hell out of me the first time i played and the sword swings are that slow.
    Last edited by hamster; 03-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Make sure you are watching the point of the dagger. As the tutorial mentions, you want to have your reticle on the point of the weapon. This means that swords are much easier to block than daggers (jury is out on spears) because you have more margin for error. Which is actually pretty "realistic"