Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Do spear ever do anything? I tried one for a few minutes and drove it directly into people several times, none of which seemed to register the hit. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but there seemed to be a big disconnect between animation/range/hit co-ordination with the spear.

Thing is, it is a (mostly) melee combat game, and those include anticipating and faking and outsmarting your opponent. I don't see how you could have a multiplayer swordfighting game without that - it'd be literally hack and slash, ie: everyone mindlessly spamming attacks until someone got lucky. It'd get old really fast.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Do spear ever do anything? I tried one for a few minutes and drove it directly into people several times, none of which seemed to register the hit. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but there seemed to be a big disconnect between animation/range/hit co-ordination with the spear.

Thing is, it is a (mostly) melee combat game, and those include anticipating and faking and outsmarting your opponent. I don't see how you could have a multiplayer swordfighting game without that - it'd be literally hack and slash, ie: everyone mindlessly spamming attacks until someone got lucky. It'd get old really fast.
    If you're playing on a server with 100 ping plus, you're being fucked. There's no adjustment or anything for lag whatsoever. The spear requires accuracy but it's probably my most efficient weapon - it's not terribly difficult to hit people, so something's definitely going wrong elsewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, if you know how to rock the spear, you can be one of the most powerful warriors. It is less useful in the orgies of humping though.

Well, it is less useful if you are doing any humping. If you see two or three people in a humpathon, stick your spear in their asses for an easy kill.

I find the spear works best if you team up with someone. Let them engage, then poke with the spear. It is less useful in a duel as one good parry can leave you wide open.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned

Well surely it could be more about reflexes and motor coordination? So the parrying could be more sophisticated i.e. directional parries that are difficult because of the amount of time you have, rather than because the attack angle is deceptive (or outright bugged).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    everyone mindlessly spamming attacks until someone got lucky. It'd get old really fast.
    That's my experience so far in most servers. Get big weapon, spam it, kill everyone (included teammates). The few times I managed to find people who know what they re doing, it's been amazing to play with them. Does anyone have any specific servers to recommend?

Also, archers, they make me rage to no end. I usually end up mindlessly hunting them down (not always successfully).

As for the face-hugging, if you can see it coming, the best solution I ve found is a kick and counter-attack. If you don't see it, then strafe left or right, as was said by someone else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    So I've been pretty close to buying this a couple of times, but does it still have the bug where it just all of a sudden wipes out your unlocked weapons and either sets you back to the basic weapons or gives you some other random weapons you haven't unlocked yet?

I feel that would spoil my fun too much, so I don't want to buy it until that's resolved.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    you know, something that demands speed and accuracy and reflexes.
    That's exactly why feints are there, it's to give good players more of a challenge to defend based on reflexes, since you can only feint at the beginning of an attack during the windup you can still always block a feint+follow up. It gives advanced players a great trick to master and to have a legitimate way to punish parry spammers. You know I actually like when developers add depth to the gameplay to make it interesting beyond an hour or two, you should probably go play dynasty warriors or something if you want a more hacky-slashy style.

Besides, its much more interesting to completely stay out of an enemy's range for counter-attacking, the majority of my kills involve no parrying at all, only out maneuvering.
    Last edited by Outright Villainy; 04-02-2013 at 04:39 PM.

What is it about this game that makes it run like garbage on my system. Sure it's getting on a bit but it can run other games on medium/high fine, but even on low (like original half life style graphics) the FPS just gets attrocious when enemies appear on screen.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy View Post
    That's exactly why feints are there, it's to give good players more of a challenge to defend based on reflexes, since you can only feint at the beginning of an attack during the windup you can still always block a feint+follow up. It gives advanced players a great trick to master and to have a legitimate way to punish parry spammers. You know I actually like when developers add depth to the gameplay to make it interesting beyond an hour or two, you should probably go play dynasty warriors or something if you want a more hacky-slashy style.

Besides, its much more interesting to completely stay out of an enemy's range for counter-attacking, the majority of my kills involve no parrying at all, only out maneuvering.
    What's really great about this game (despite its many flaws) is that, to be a really good player, you've got to have real tactical awareness.

For instance, against LMB vanguard spammers? Feints are useless. Feints only work if the other player is paying any attention to what you're doing. So, in that case, out-maneuvering them is the best way to go (i.e. step back/stop just outside the range of their swing and then punish them with a nice overhead. If I tried to feint they'd just catch me with the next swing before I could hit them.

Again a dodgy MAA? Feints are also not very helpful since their swings and dodges are so quick. It's best to just watch their timing and have a swing already happening for when they dodge in to hit you. SURPRISE! That or follow their left/right dodge and move the mouse enough to get them when they try to get around you.

If I run up to a player and they're already parrying instinctively? Time for feints. The only ways to defend against a gifted feinter is to a) use a shield or b) practice enough so that you don't parry the instant you see movement. Takes a while but its worth it if you enjoy the game. Duels and/or low population servers are the place to go for practice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Space Marines!

This is simultaneously the stupidest and best thing that I have seen and heard all day long. Thankyou.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Tei, I just want you to know that that video prompted me to buy the game...although for some reason I didn't try a low grav server until last night.

It was glorious, but the gladiator-arena map is dumb and has a low invisible ceiling!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    The gladiator map is one of my favourites. Such a welcome change of pace after running around for five minutes looking for that one arsehole with a bow who refuses to face their death so everyone else can play again.

The gladiator map is one of my favourites. Such a welcome change of pace after running around for five minutes looking for that one arsehole with a bow who refuses to face their death so everyone else can play again.
    Yeah, it's fine for normal games (one of the best on account of having Moar FIRE); I don't recommend it for low grav, though. =)