Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gaming is good for you

BBC news posts an article showing that gaming can be good for you (and your granny), NRA said to be outraged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21116544

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Stop with this nonsence already, i think nobdoy cares anymore what media thinks of us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Stop with this nonsence already, i think nobdoy cares anymore what media thinks of us.
    I do.

It's hard to correct misconceptions if you don't know what's being misconstrued.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    When I'm stressed out in the office, I spend at least 3 hours after work to play with my fave video games because it makes me feel good. For me, gaming is always good for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I wonder how long before the United States of NRA brand the UK a rogue state.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    When I'm stressed out in the office, I spend at least 3 hours after work to play with my fave video games because it makes me feel good. For me, gaming is always good for me.
    The counter-argument being that it encourages you to isolate yourself and spend long periods of time doing non-athletic activity.

In a perfect world, you want socializing, physical activity, and mental activity (which, if you have intelligent-ish friends, is covered by socializing) to be involved in your leisure-time.

Of course, the problem with that is that some people don't like the activities that contain those three, thus turning leisure-time into more "work" as it were. Which increases stress.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    The counter-argument being that it encourages you to isolate yourself and spend long periods of time doing non-athletic activity.
    As compared to what, TV?

Yeah, we should all be leading active, healthy lifestyles where we get lots of social interaction and fresh air, said Nalano on a video games forum on the internet.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    As compared to what, TV?

Yeah, we should all be leading active, healthy lifestyles where we get lots of social interaction and fresh air, said Nalano on a video games forum on the internet.
    I would say compared to athletic activities and the like. Which is why the rest of my post (that you skipped for the sake of a witty comment or whatever that is) points out the potential issues with this line of thought.

Gaming is probably a lot better than TV (it engages the mind more) and probably better than reading (although, it is easier to read outdoors), but it also easy to attack for its "failings" as it were.
    But, as my post actually said in the parts you didn't cut out for the sake of whatever you are doing, said "good" activities can actually increase stress for a lot of people.

But yes, we all SHOULD be leading active and healthy lifestyles with plenty of social interaction and fresh air. We don't, but the fact that we should be is kind of a given...
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The medium is the message, Gundato.

Also, compared to chopping people up in a woodchipper behind an abandoned house in North Dakota, playing videogames 20 hours a day is a healthy activity. Compared to drinking oneself into a stupor and driving a Harley on the Long Island Expressway at 110mph, gaming is a benign pastime.

We could be doing a lot of things with our free time. As they say: Everything in moderation, even excess.
    Last edited by Nalano; 21-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    In a perfect world, you want socializing, physical activity, and mental activity (which, if you have intelligent-ish friends, is covered by socializing) to be involved in your leisure-time.
    I want your friends if that's the case.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I want your friends if that's the case.
    My intelligent friends and my gamer friends tend to be largely separate entities. There's overlap, but not much.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    If you think gaming utilizes your brain more than reading, I'm guessing you don't read very much.

Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    If you think gaming utilizes your brain more than reading, I'm guessing you don't read very much.
    Different kinds of utilization. Gaming (in the form that is counted as "good") involves problem solving and the like. Reading, while fun (and preferable in a lot of cases) is more about painting a picture and thinking about the story itself and the implications of what has occurred in said story.

Different kinds of utilization. Gaming (in the form that is counted as "good") involves problem solving and the like. Reading, while fun (and preferable in a lot of cases) is more about painting a picture and thinking about the story itself and the implications of what has occurred in said story.
    Gaming practices hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness and, sometimes, lateral thinking. The usefulness of gaming overall is limited, as you do not need to practice gaming nearly as much as you do. Studies have shown that gamers are sometimes more decisive - in that they're trained to make quick decisions - but not that they're particularly more insightful or incisive.

Reading, despite your horrifically reductionist assertion, is pretty much the primary means we have of imparting a great deal of knowledge quickly, as well as honing analytical and abstract thought. A reader will go far further than a gamer. gganate is correct: Gaming has its uses (in a larger pantheon of structured activities) but reading is essential.
    Last edited by Nalano; 21-01-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Gaming practices hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness and, sometimes, lateral thinking. The usefulness of gaming overall is limited, as you do not need to practice gaming nearly as much as you do. Studies have shown that gamers are sometimes more decisive - in that they're trained to make quick decisions - but not that they're particularly more insightful or incisive.

Reading, despite your horrifically reductionist assertion, is pretty much the primary means we have of imparting a great deal of knowledge quickly, as well as honing analytical and abstract thought. A reader will got far further than a gamer. gganate is correct: Gaming has its uses (in a larger pantheon of structured activities) but reading is essential.
    So, to sum up what you said:

Gaming involves problem solving
    Reading involves increased knowledge

So, would you say, they are different kinds of utilization?

And I was thinking more along the lines of how people (specifically older, but really everyone should) are encouraged to do puzzles and the like to increase/maintain cognitive ability and the like. That is what (some) gaming helps with, whereas reading is generally less effective at increasing/maintaining cognitive ability.

Network Hub
    I would suggest that all worthwhile reading involves problem solving on a scale beyond what I've ever encountered in a game. Read a Cortazar story or a Murakami novel and you'll likely arrive at different and sometimes contradicting interpretations that require you to do more than just reread a passage. Reading can certainly simply be about painting a picture or an image, but difficult literature makes you think about situations, issues, and daily life in ways that games can't. In some ways, gaming is more passive than reading--the imagination required to envision a scene is dependent on the reader's experiences (for example, if you've ever been in a fight, you're certain to relate to a written scene differently and more intimately than a reader who hasn't)--whereas you're restricted to experiencing whatever world the gamer maker has engineered as is (static textures, scripted scenes, etc...). Gaming is an evolving artform and it's still in its infancy, but it's a commercial artform made to entertain you by using some sort of repetitive system.

Sorry for the little speech, but I thought it was terribly silly to suggest that gaming is somehow better for the brain than reading, even on a gaming forum.

Network Hub
    Damn Nalano, you're a smart mother******.

So, to sum up what you said:
    So, to sum up what you said,

Gaming is [...] probably better than reading
    Would you like to take a mulligan?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

you [..] more insightful
    Why thank you for the compliment, you are so kind.

Oh, wait, we aren't just doing selective quoting to try and cause conflict?

Let's add some context to your selective quoting, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundato

Quote Originally Posted by Nally
    As compared to what, TV?

I would say compared to athletic activities and the like. Which is why the rest of my post (that you skipped for the sake of a witty comment or whatever that is) points out the potential issues with this line of thought.

Gaming is probably a lot better than TV (it engages the mind more) and probably better than reading (although, it is easier to read outdoors), but it also easy to attack for its "failings" as it were.

In the context of that: In a perfect world, you want your leisure activities to promote socializing, physical activity, and mental activity. In that context, gaming probably IS better than reading in that it contains more physical activity (hand-eye coordination), more socializing (assuming you MP at all), and that it involves problem solving.

If you want to take the argument of "personal betterment through increased knowledge", then I agree that reading is better (I actually read a lot). But in the context of being "healthy", it probably loses to (certain kinds) of gaming.

Network Hub
    What a load of captain obvious shit.