Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I want to say The Sims or Minecraft so badly but maybe I'll recommend you something much more enjoyable. So, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I warn you, though. It's a huge time-sink.

OTT, if your wife's more of a builder than a crafter, Tropico 3 might fit just perfectly
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Get a big ol' stack of graph paper and colored markers, then start up Wizardry VI with cheats on! She can craft real physical cartographic mementos while solving puzzles that warp the very fabrics of space and time, and trying all the keys on all the doors!

More seriously -- if multiplayer is not undesired, A Tale in the Desert? I didn't find it particularly intuitive or engrossing myself, but mainly because there are not a lot of wizards in the desert.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Many thanks for all the suggestions ;) I'll start working through them as they're not too expensive. Almost got her into Myst a few years back but it was a bit too obtuse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I think she could really enjoy Red Orchestra,it has lean,prone..Everything you want haha :D

Well my missus really liked Dragon Age: Origins (on easy and I had to help with a couple of fights). Sims 3 was okay too but for some reason it didn't hook her like I expected. I'd recommend the new Simcity over Anno games to women, it's cute and it's easier to grasp. Wife liked the beta.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I'd recommend the new Simcity over Anno games to women, it's cute and it's easier to grasp.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    wince.jpg
    Just going to echo that.

Should have thought of Startopia earlier - it's basically a city builder / management sim set on a space station, with lots of humour. Combat is not a huge part of the game, and can be easily avoided completely by going for the free play option rather than the missions - up to about Mission 7 there's no combat in the missions. It came out around 2000, is on GOG, and has aged well (I think). I think Theme Hospital is probably quite similar, not sure.

I like Anno 1404, but so far I've found it a bit hectic - there always seems to be a lot you should be doing. What I've heard of Anno 2070 sounds almost identical to 1404, so if she's interested in the game concept it's worth thinking about whether she prefers mediaeval history or something a bit sci-fi.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Why not anno 1707,i think its easier then newer ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, does the new SimCity have a girlfriend mode?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Oh, does the new SimCity have a girlfriend mode?
    Well, it'll probably spend most of its time trying to persuade you to part with your money for relatively pointless fripperies...
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    If she doesnt require every single one of those conditions, I would recommend the greatest puzzle game ever made, SpaceChem.
    Your solutions are your own, the UI is fantastic and very clear. The music is great, the puzzles are out of this world. Youll feel intelligent when you make a solution, and amazed if you ever look at someone elses (It has an inbuilt solution to youtube function).
    It gets very tough, but even if you only get a fraction of the way through the game, its worth its price many times over.

I'd recommend the new Simcity over Anno games to women, it's cute and it's easier to grasp. Wife liked the beta.
    Likewise I'd recommend something like Black Ops over Battlefield 3 as they won't need to drive in that game. I'd also recommend Civ V over Civ IV because it's much more dumbed down and looks pretty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Civ V over Civ IV because it's much more dumbed down and looks pretty.
    I see you and raise you Civ4: Col, its about moving in to someone else home bringing in "improvements and advancement" and getting rid of the perfect balance you'd achieved with your surroundings, bullying you into accepting unfair compromises before finally asking you to help you beat up the ex.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    We were talking about how all women are liberated hardcore raging feminists.

Please, continue. RPS comment on issues of gender is always a sight to behold.

I am amused. Admittedly my experiences of "gaming gurls" are limited to my missus and she doesn't like challenging gameplay. To a certain degree I assume it is a gender thing. In my experience men usually like being challenged, whereas women don't. There are exceptions of course.

In my experience men usually like being challenged, whereas women don't.
    Can't tell if serious.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Can't tell if serious.
    Serious. I have not met many women who enjoy a challenge.

Oh god.

/10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How many women have you met?