Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mrs Jams likes Anno 1404 and Civ 4, which probably check the "building" and "slow pace" boxes.

Obscure Node
    My Mrs is addicted to Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 at the moment. I'm going to try Civ next (not sure whether to start her on 4 or 5 - 5 is probably more accessible?

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Don't Starve would have been easy to recommend a few updates ago, but it's gotten more difficult, especially in the fighting department. Still: building, collecting, crafting, mostly at your own pace. I considered it for my FB game-playing mom before it got harder.

If I were your wife I'd want to play Railroad Tycoon 2. It would remind me of our anniversary on the California Zephyr.

Network Hub
    Girlfriend is addicted to pyro in TF2. It's perfect for practicing WASD and mouselook as you don't need great aim. Just burn everything and work out how to get ammo.

Used to add her pic to my Steam profile (before TF2 went F2P). My friends list went from about twenty people to a few hundred people. I mean, some people will only say hi if her picture is there!!! Makes me feel so unappreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Building, as in cities, railways, trains, harbours? Collecting, as in money, subsidized routes, products to bring from city to city? Crafting, as in turning iron ore into steel, steel into goods, and goods into ... more passengers? Slow pace, as in a game that has no end and no other time pressure than the interest on your initial (loaned) money? No combat, as in no combat at all? Puzzles, as in figuring out how to service 45 trains on a single station, or routing fast passenger lines around freight heavy bottlenecks? Not difficult, as in the ability to configure about a hundred variables to make things easier?

If so; check out OpenTTD! It's free, too. http://www.openttd.org/en/

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Dead Island: Riptide, collector's edition boxset?
    If you want to get divorced this year, go with this suggestion...

I would like to add Defense Grid the tower defense game.

It is a puzzle game essentially, with a good story. It doesn't really include crafting, but requires skilled building and upgrading.

While it nominally contains combat, it's not of the shoot/slash variety, rather more cerebral. It has a slow pace, you have some degree of control over how fast/slow the game runs.

It also doesn't require huge investment of time, which i have found a big selling point when suggesting games to the missus.

Obscure Node
    adventure-wise I think both botanicula and to the moon are great..very heart-warming and not difficult..both have a retail edition with soundtracks and stuff..If you wanna get all physical...:D

Network Hub
    Some F2P MMOs that are not Facebook grinders might fit. I have heard good things about Puzzle Pirates, for instance.

You said no combat, but maybe turn-based, stylized combat vs AI would be fine? It's really no different from a puzzle, after all. That would open the door to some RPGs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Me and my girlfriend have 100 hours + of Terraria logged up. Until you get into Hard Mode, it's pretty easy and very enjoyable. Hard Mode is a whole different story. I don't recommend it for light hearted play.

Network Hub
    I would like to echo Transport Tycoon, Machinarium, Botanicula and Minecraft; but also say that in my experience, anyone who isn't the most accomplished gamer loves Breakout clones and pinball.

Pro Pinball Big Race USA is the best of the best (and on GOG). Worth a try. Also, nobody has suggested Plants vs. Zombies? I would say the Popcap usual suspects probably would appeal to any gamer starting out (Bejeweled, Peggle and the aforementioned Zombie romp).

Of course, if pacing is a large issue, as you say, I would just go with the adventure game canon. In addition to Machinarium and Botanicula, the LA classics. Can't beat Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1&2 and Sam & Max: Hit the Road. Nor can you beat a Morley.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Doraemon Monopoly

Quite an old singleplayer game, from Hong Kong or Taiwan whatever. It's based on the well-reputed board game, with its own mini games of course. Currently there is only traditional Chinese version I am afraid because it was developed by a small-time game firm more than a decade ago, I think now that firms focuses on online games.

Doraemon is a very very popular Japanese comic in East Asia. It was written by Mr. Fujiko Fujio, about a robot cat named Doraemon assigned by its master in the 22nd century from the family Nobi (there is not much mentioning of this kid so I dont know his first name) to go back to 20th century to help Nobi Nobita, a brilliant yet failing kid and great grandfather of Doraemon's master to go on the right track. We used to refer to the lovely, clever yet somewhat clumsy cat as Ding Don, the sound produced by the bell he wears. Yet Mr. Fujiko had one such final wish (not demand) in his will, that this comic be universally referred to as Doraemon, the Japanese title and name. He is absolutely not nationalistic. With popularity of this comic among the children over the world, he wished the cat to have the same name all over the world, so that all children with different languages would understand the very same title and name, one more connection Mr. Fujiko could build for the children of different nations. His wish is honored here.
    Last edited by squirrel; 29-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    I open myself to suggestions from the collective hivemind.... i m looking for suggestions as to a game i can obtain for my wife
    Not to go there, but you sure your wife wants a game as a gift from you?

...well shit, I just went there

Network Hub
    He never said it was any kind of ceremonial gifting process, though.

Getting a few new games on "the computer" doesn't count as a gift.

Activated Node
    Portal? Sounds right up her alley.

Terraria. Apart from the combat, it covers all of the points in the OP. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sadly, I think the wii got the lion's share of well-made accessible games, but my partner loves:
    Rayman Origins
    Lego Harry Potter and Lego Star Wars
    Costume Quest

Also your wife might like:
    1000 amps (peaceful puzzle solver)
    Macguffins Curse (a peaceful puzzle solver),
    Saira (peaceful exploration with collection),
    Stacking (collection, exploration, and humor),
    Waking Mars (collection, puzzles, exploration, and world crafting),
    Pixeljunk Eden (collection, exploration),
    Your Doodles are Bugged,
    Max and the Magic Marker,
    Spirits (prettier lemmings)
    Scribblenauts.
    Maybe even Cargo the Quest for Gravity (collection, building, exploration, and no fighting).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My wife is far from a gamer. She will play Mario on occasion, but that's largely the extent of it. After receiving a wireless 360 pad for Xmas, and now having two gamepads, I asked her if she wanted to try playing some LEGO games co-op. I had purchased the "Harry Batman" pack from Amazon, with both Harry Potters and Batman 2 for like $12, but hadn't gotten around to them yet. 10 seconds in to Harry Potter, and my wife says, "This...is...AWESOME." All she wants to do since is play LEGO games with me, to the point that I have a hard time securing the computer to play any of my SP games. We have a great time though. We've cleared the first HP, almost wrapped up Batman 2, and have just begun to dabble in LotR after the 50% sale the other week. Anyhow, there's lots of simple platforming, a little puzzle solving, and varying degrees of combat. Obviously LotR has more fighting than HP. There are tons of collectibles, and you can even design your own levels, brick by brick, which it sounds like she might like. Plus the co-op is drop in/out, so you can leave her to her own devices if you need to do something else.

Also, it's not PC, but if you have a DS or Wii, Animal Crossing. I don't know what it is about that game, but it does something to the fairer sex.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

I'll second the Anno 1404 recommendation. Maybe also Anno 2070 would do the trick if futuristic themes are preferred, although I've not yet played that one.

I'd third the Anno 1404 suggestion