Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 129
  1. #61
    Lesser Hivemind Node Velko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    How many women have you met?
    Maybe he has proven to be too challenging for them.

  2. #62
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    Well at least that solves the conundrum of the sex of Mr Ambiguous Avatar.

    Before everyone dives on him too much for not saying the PC words, I think it's not too unreasonable to think there might be some truth in them. It's not so easy to be sure, given that generally people don't like to be challenged. But there is a mindset that sees a challenge as a juicy target rather than an obstacle, and for whatever reason my experience is also that this mindset tends to occur more in males.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  3. #63
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,033
    Wasn't the cliché that men like to compete women want to cooperate?

    I find that a nicely neural (if dubious) statement.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  4. #64
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Wasn't the cliché that men like to compete women want to cooperate?

    I find that a nicely neural (if dubious) statement.
    That tallies quite well with experiences I've heard from junior chess coaches, who observe that two girls playing will often just peacefully co-exist, and should one get the advantage the other will often deliberately not exploit it.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  5. #65
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,132
    I don't know about that. A pair of sisters seem almost as competitive as brothers, maybe more so.

  6. #66
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    Super Meat Boy - I know it sounds crazy, but my sister (who loves the Sims and Angry Birds and has troubles to get the hang of Portal's controls) got hooked on this little gem instantly. And it's easy to understand why, it has a quirky and humorous presentation, simple controls and an awesome learning curve without ever being punishing. Ok, later on it gets a bit punishing but it's the 1st world that gets you totally hooked...

    I guess the point is that you can never know what game clicks with who, no matter of vagina or no vagina.
    Last edited by ado; 30-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  7. #67
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,189
    Another that my girlfriend liked was Binding of Isaac, her only issue being that (along with most people) some rooms cause the game to stutter and lag terribly when too many projectiles are on the screen at one time.

  8. #68
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH
    Before everyone dives on him too much for not saying the PC words, I think it's not too unreasonable to think there might be some truth in them. It's not so easy to be sure, given that generally people don't like to be challenged. But there is a mindset that sees a challenge as a juicy target rather than an obstacle, and for whatever reason my experience is also that this mindset tends to occur more in males.
    Even if the desire to overcome challenges is more frequent in men (which I haven't personally witnessed), it could be a by-product of the fact that men are exposed to social pressure to be successful more than women are, rather than anything inherent. But still, there are different profiles among female gamers; I enjoy all sorts of games, some of my female friends only play Farmville and stuff, while others like RPGs, platformers etc... There are plenty of female gamers who enjoy challenging stuff. Although, in my society it's weird when you're a woman who likes playing games,* especially when you're my age (early 30s)...


    * unless it's one of the casual Facebook games, which are a bit stupid but mostly alright because they are not considered games but more of a way to pass the time..
    Last edited by Poe; 30-01-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammar

  9. #69
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    699
    My sister finished Super Meat Boy before me. She's 8. Limited sample sizes are the best.

  10. #70
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    I open myself to suggestions from the collective hivemind.... i m looking for suggestions as to a game i can obtain for my wife:

    Likes Building
    Likes Collecting
    Likes Crafting
    Slow Pace
    No Combat
    Likes Puzzles
    Not difficult

    sounds like a facebook game, but lets not go there.

    So any suggestions? I think she might have liked something like Terraria but too many monsters. I once built her a world (well a house in forest) using Neverwinters Nights which she enjoyed. Sidescollers and adventure games maybe. Really outside my knowledge base for games. Graphics are not a priority as it will be played on a laptop without a graphics card (gasp!)

    thanks!!
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but if the wife is a fan of Dr Who she might enjoy Dr Who: The Eternity Clock. It does have a little combat but it's a pretty easy game, and the puzzle difficulty can be set to easy, too.

  11. #71
    Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cyberjaya
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Oh, does the new SimCity have a girlfriend mode?
    Adding that mode in Simcity 2013 would be redundant.
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

    Steam|Last.FM

  12. #72
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Even if the desire to overcome challenges is more frequent in men (which I haven't personally witnessed), it could be a by-product of the fact that men are exposed to social pressure to be successful more than women are, rather than anything inherent. But still, there are different profiles among female gamers; I enjoy all sorts of games, some of my female friends only play Farmville and stuff, while others like RPGs, platformers etc... There are plenty of female gamers who enjoy challenging stuff. Although, in my society it's weird when you're a woman who likes playing games,* especially when you're my age (early 30s)...


    * unless it's one of the casual Facebook games, which are a bit stupid but mostly alright because they are not considered games but more of a way to pass the time..
    Well, it's not particularly important whether the trait is natural or cultural: when you're making a recommendation you're interested in who the person is, not why they have become that person. And of course there is much variation. I don't have a strong opinion on the question, it just seemed a little unfair that jnx was being rather harshly treated for having an opinion of it that doesn't seem to be to be obviously ridiculous. It wasn't a case of people saying "My understanding is that you are wrong, jnx, and here is why I think that" it was "jnx, you are ridiculous" which seemed over-the-top to me.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  13. #73
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Well, it's not particularly important whether the trait is natural or cultural: when you're making a recommendation you're interested in who the person is, not why they have become that person. And of course there is much variation. I don't have a strong opinion on the question, it just seemed a little unfair that jnx was being rather harshly treated for having an opinion of it that doesn't seem to be to be obviously ridiculous. It wasn't a case of people saying "My understanding is that you are wrong, jnx, and here is why I think that" it was "jnx, you are ridiculous" which seemed over-the-top to me.
    But such a generalization *is* ridiculous. It would be equally ridiculous if I said that men only like violent games in which they get to shoot and explode stuff because in my experience male gamers really like those games.

    Also, it is important whether something is a result of inherent traits or culture because, if it's the latter, a person can be opened up to new experiences simply by pointing her/him towards it and helping them learn it...

  14. #74
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus duff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It just seemed a little unfair that jnx was being rather harshly treated for having an opinion of it that doesn't seem to be to be obviously ridiculous.
    I think, "in my experience men usually like being challenged, whereas women don't", is a pretty ridiculous statement. Of course he actually meant that the women he knows don't like hard games (at least I hope so), which is not so ridiculous because it would seem likely more women are 'casual' gamers, proportionately, than men - especially given that gaming has been a pretty heavily male dominated industry. Just saying that a whole group of people don't like challenge in general is absurd.

  15. #75
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    while others like RPGs, platformers etc...
    Not enough in my opinon. One day I will have a girlfriend who I can discuss classic RPGs with, this I vow.

  16. #76
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Serious. I have not met many women who enjoy a challenge.
    Stop.

    Just, stop.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  17. #77
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Stop.

    Just, stop.
    No, he's definitely right. Because I mean ongoing campaigns for women's equality haven't been around for the last century. Because changing society from a neckbeardocracy to something recogniseably human sounds a bit challenging. More of a man thing.

  18. #78
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    No, he's definitely right. Because I mean ongoing campaigns for women's equality haven't been around for the last century. Because changing society from a neckbeardocracy to something recogniseably human sounds a bit challenging. More of a man thing.
    I spent last Sunday at the Waldorf Astoria in a union function with 1,200 shop stewards, chapter leaders and representatives. Each and every person there had a job and that job was to wrestle with a local boss or administrator on behalf of their constituency, and the function itself was to reward those who were particularly effective in doing so as well as to coordinate their attacks on city government as a whole.

    I mention this because the former leader of this union is female. The majority of union representatives are female. Hell, in this industry, the majority of their bosses are female. Every last one of them got to their position because of an endless series of challenges they rose to, and the very nature of their positions and relationships is a constant challenge.

    This isn't an aberration: My industry isn't a bubble of feminine dominance. It's steadfastly and resolutely one of the most equal opportunity industries available. I think if he can't find women who want to fight, he's just not paying attention to women.

    </rant>
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  19. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    "Fuck your anecdotal evidence, mine's better"

  20. #80
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    "Fuck your anecdotal evidence, mine's better"
    I could wax on into a history lesson of women's rights, but I like talking about myself. I was doing so well in measuring my response, too...

    (Oh, and the gender equality of my industry's not anecdotal.)
    Last edited by Nalano; 30-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •