Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar

The right time to upgrade: 2014

This is for high end at least.

The next leap in gpu and cpu architectures seems to be in 2014:

nvidia roadmap

AMD roadmap

intel roadmap

The last time this happened was in 2006. Compare the highest end hardware of 2005 to that of 2006:
    CPU: Amd Athlon FX-60, worth $1000+
    absolutely trounced by: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 worth $400

GPU: nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2, supports dx9 only, worth $600+
    absolutely trounced by: nvidia Geforce 8800GTX, supports dx10, worth $500

A top of the line 2005 machine, worth $3000 was relegated to mid/low end in the span of a year, and is now totally worthless performance wise.
    Meanwhile, a top of the line 2006 machine is still relevant today (Core 2 Extreme quad core, 4GB ram 8800GTX)

discuss.
    Last edited by mashakos; 29-01-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    That's what they said in 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    That's what they said in 2012!
    you jest, but I honestly thought the big jump was going to happen with LGA2011 / Kepler. Sadly I was mistaken.
    Sure, the gtx680 and the core i7 3930k/3960x are huge upgrades but not something that will last till 2017...
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    you jest, but I honestly thought the big jump was going to happen with LGA2011 / Kepler. Sadly I was mistaken.
    Me too, that's why I said it :P.
    I am quite sure that most of this will actually depend on the console market - Nvidia may shout "Super effeciŽnt cards next year!" but they first need to deliver, and super effeciency will not mean that absolute performance actually increases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Exponential performance growth is nothing new. And the GTX 600s and HD 7000s were major upgrades over their predecessors already. Measured by today's demands, the difference between eg. a Geforce 256 and a Geforce4 Ti is tiny, but it was huge back then.

Or in other words, that first graph needs to have a logarithmic Y axis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    The last time this happened was in 2006.
    When the last generation of consoles launched. The next is in 2014, so all seems quite likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Measured by today's demands, the difference between eg. a Geforce 256 and a Geforce4 Ti is tiny, but it was huge back then.
    really? I think the difference was huge - the geforce 4 Ti outclassed the PS2 and xbox while the original geforce 256 was a step up from the voodoo 2.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    @mashakos

Do you think with the proposed specs of the new consoles there's going to much need for big upgrades overall? Also do you envisage a shift towards Blu-Ray as far as discs go, or do you see microsoft maybe copping out paying Sony the licence and opting for something else (maybe reviving HD-DVD as a game only format?)
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Me too, that's why I said it :P.
    I am quite sure that most of this will actually depend on the console market - Nvidia may shout "Super effeciŽnt cards next year!" but they first need to deliver, and super effeciency will not mean that absolute performance actually increases.
    I'm not realy focussing on what's in the roadmap announcements, just that it looks to be the right time for a generation leap as deano2099 mentioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    When the last generation of consoles launched. The next is in 2014, so all seems quite likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    @mashakos

Do you think with the proposed specs of the new consoles there's going to much need for big upgrades overall? Also do you envisage a shift towards Blu-Ray as far as discs go, or do you see microsoft maybe copping out paying Sony the licence and opting for something else (maybe reviving HD-DVD as a game only format?)
    it's hard to compare consoles and PCs on specs alone, remember that the nvidia 7950 GX2 is way more powerful than the Nvidia RSX chip found in the PS3 yet that card cannot even hope to match what has been possible on that console. Some of the more advanced PS3 exclusives use the cpu for most graphics rendering, which tells you that developers have spent a lot of time and effort eking out performance from console hardware in a way PC devs never will (or practically be able to considering the variety of hardware configurations).

Regarding Bluray, it's hard to say. If Rockstar are comfortable releasing Max Payne 3 - a 23GB game - on steam then it might mean the focus for game distribution will be online only for the PC. As I understand it, a lot of game developers have voiced their discomfort in releasing retail on the PC because of how unpredictable it is. Steam as a more "developer friendly" way for them to make and sell PC games, since it has proven it's commercial viability over the past 5 years.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    really? I think the difference was huge - the geforce 4 Ti outclassed the PS2 and xbox while the original geforce 256 was a step up from the voodoo 2.
    The difference was huge back then, as I just said. But measured by today's performance, they are both nearly equally weak. Put them in that graph of yours up top and they'd both be pretty much at 0.

That's the whole point, the graph is misleading. There is nothing sudden and revolutionary in that roadmap, just a steady performance progression as usual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Regarding blu-ray, considering both new consoles from MS and Sony will be using it, along with the fact that even Nintendo uses a version of it with the WiiU, I wouldn't be surprised if some PC multi-platform titles had a blu-ray retail copy...of course, I could also see PC going even more towards digital distribution, something even Nintendo has caught on to, which should say something. Even if they're still awful at it, but that's another argument.

Well I suppose this thread has helped me, actually. I was going to upgrade my graphics card this year, considering I built this in 2011 and put in a 6850. It seems it'd be best I wait a little while longer. No harm done!