Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar

Frozen Synapse League - Season 17

Sign-ups for Season 17 are now open!

I'm open to suggestions about which mode we should play. As last season was Dark Charge that's out this time, so Dark Upload is most likely.

If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list. Vote for your preferred game mode while you're there.

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else, except maybe WombatDeath or whoever takes over admin duties after me, and even then only with your permission. If you have previously PM'd your address to WombatDeath in an earlier season please consider sending it to me too.

3) Click here to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Season 16 will begin on Sunday the 3rd of February and will last until the 17th, so please don't sign up if you expect to be unavailable for that period. Rules might be slightly different from previous seasons, depending on the mode we decide on, but all will be explained in this thread before the season kicks off.

New and old players are all welcome! No experience required, and weaponry will be provided. Sign up!
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Network Hub
    I'm in - I'd be up for some light extermination this time, it's a very different feel to standard.
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Light Extermination? Sure, why not. Though I wager it'll feel more like playing vs. the AI and thus I'll be pretty sloppy with my play.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Either Dark Upload or Light Extermination. L-Ex is without merit considered to be the childrens' version of Ex. This should not be so because it just puts more emphasis on psychology than D-Ex.

I've taken the liberty of changing your votes for Light Extermination on the roster. Upload is still in the lead, but not by much. Disputed is in second place.

I'm not sure if you mean me or rodeoclown but I think both of us would say thanks anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I'm up for this. Though I only play extermination so looks like I may have to learn a new mode for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    Either Dark Upload or Light Extermination. L-Ex is without merit considered to be the childrens' version of Ex. This should not be so because it just puts more emphasis on psychology than D-Ex.
    I've never played Light Extermination against human opponents. It'd be fun to try.
    Dark Upload is nice to try out as well.

Activated Node
    I thinck i have chances only in Dr.UPLODE

from my matches of upload.. they tend to end very very fast.
    maybe this would make for a short season.

I also think that light extermination is not a bad idea, I also seem to recall that I've only played that with AI

Activated Node
    What the hell is upload?!
    Whatever it's cool. Lets shoot some virtual dudes.

I made another custom competitive map for Frozen Synapse. This time, it's secure. Give it a look if you guys want to play a variety map, all of those bidzones were added by hand. You can find it here: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtop...p=20193#p20193

Obscure Node
    Oh yes please Light mode. Dark is largely guesswork, Light is an intricate mind game with your opponent. It's easy to dismiss it as easier but I guarantee it isn't.

Could I make a small suggestion about the voting. Why not give players +3, +2, +1, -1, -2 and -3 to give different modes? This way their true preference would show better. Eg. I would like to play DEx but even more DUpload, instead of giving both +1 one could give DUpload +3 and DEx +2. Obviously it's the same with dislikes. This way also players' votes would more probably change between seasons. Now everyone gives +1 to all modes they like and -1 to the ones they dislike and these never change. But with more options they could change. Eg. A player really wants to play DCharge this season and gives it +3. DCharge wins the voting and that season is DCharge. The following season that player might want to play something else, let's say DUpload and changes the +3 to that.

To Radiant

It's the new mode introduced in RED. Both teams try to take down the opponents hackers and protect their own hackers. I think I have played only 1 Upload match so can't really say anything else about the mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    Could I make a small suggestion about the voting. Why not give players +3, +2, +1, -1, -2 and -3 to give different modes? This way their true preference would show better. Eg. I would like to play DEx but even more DUpload, instead of giving both +1 one could give DUpload +3 and DEx +2. Obviously it's the same with dislikes. This way also players' votes would more probably change between seasons. Now everyone gives +1 to all modes they like and -1 to the ones they dislike and these never change. But with more options they could change. Eg. A player really wants to play DCharge this season and gives it +3. DCharge wins the voting and that season is DCharge. The following season that player might want to play something else, let's say DUpload and changes the +3 to that.
    If we change anything, i would certainly prefer giving any mode with a positive sum an additional +1 after every season it is not played. This way we would play them all eventually and not end up with the same modes again and again because, as you said, votes will hardly change between seasons. And depending on the votes, we still would play some modes more often than others.

On related notes: I would really enjoy some LEx. I suppose it is a lot harder than DEx tbh, as is every game with complete information.

Quote Originally Posted by raeynn View Post
    Oh yes please Light mode. Dark is largely guesswork, Light is an intricate mind game with your opponent. It's easy to dismiss it as easier but I guarantee it isn't.
    In Dark, scouting is very important, I wouldn't call it just guesswork. Also, Light leaves no element of surprise. You can't sneak around the corner, you can't throw an unexpected greande etc. I think I like that aspect of Dark most of all.

Might be wrong, but the person who can calculate all the possible moves, choose the safest one will win in light. I'm not saying Light is inferior to dark or is bad, but it certainly makes the game different.

Oh, here's the comparison,: Dark is more like poker, Light is more like chess. Do you agree?

Light or Dark, I'm excited for this new season, anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    If we change anything, i would certainly prefer giving any mode with a positive sum an additional +1 after every season it is not played. This way we would play them all eventually and not end up with the same modes again and again because, as you said, votes will hardly change between seasons. And depending on the votes, we still would play some modes more often than others.

On related notes: I would really enjoy some LEx. I suppose it is a lot harder than DEx tbh, as is every game with complete information.
    Otherwise I would support this idea but there is clearly at least 1 mode which practically no-one wants to play (L-Hostage) and this method would force us to play modes we just don't want to play. If there would first be a pre-voting for the most popular modes and the rotation would be among those then it would work well. The pre-voting could mean that the most popular X modes (eg. 6 (half) or 8 (3/4)) would be included into the rotation or that any mode that fails to get at least Y number of "points" (eg 0) would be dropped out.

I should have been clearer. I meant to only add 1 to every mode that already had a positive sum prior. Thus modes that the majority of people do not want to see, wont be seen.

I was thinking along similar lines. I'll make it so next month. In the mean time it's still even-Stevens between Disputed and Upload, and since I've yet to play any Upload at all I'll go with that - unless the votes change in the next few hours, of course.