Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBobr99 View Post
    BigBobr99 defeated cimethink in game 663110 with a score of 140.
    Gah, is this our first game or did you manage to kill three of my doods in one turn? I'm at work now so can't view the game yet.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Rodeoclown and Cimethink drew in game 663440 with a kill count of 1:2 (cimethink killed one more guy)
    Good game.
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
    Rodeoclown and Cimethink drew in game 663440 with a kill count of 1:2 (cimethink killed one more guy)
    Good game.
    That was a sneaky move with your grenadier to grab those boxes. I completely misjudged where he was. Good job!

Network Hub
    DeVadder defeated rodeoclown in game 662940 with a score of -90 (and 4 kills to 3 - apparently his sniper has a .1 second aim time :S )
    Find me on Steam

DeVadder defeated rodeoclown in game 662940 with a score of -90 (and 4 kills to 3 - apparently his sniper has a .1 second aim time :S )
    Oh no, really? The game we agreed you had won two turns earlier?
    Cant wait to see that.
    Hero Sniper.
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

Network Hub
    Yeah, that one. :(

That sniper just seemed to have shotgun reflexes and shot times, with sniper range :S
    Find me on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    The sniper was patched to be more useful a while back, it can be difficult to shake one off once he's drawn a bead on you.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Network Hub
    Yeah, I know he was improved, but I didn't realise it was THAT improved :)
    Find me on Steam

Yeah, that one. :(

That sniper just seemed to have shotgun reflexes and shot times, with sniper range :S
    Well, he did have cover against your sniper, so that is clear. The gunner is also no huge surprise as the tiny wall that gunner passed behind did not hide him long enough for my sniper to loose the aim. But the SG looks really, really off. I almost doubt a gunner could have done that and that was certainly no sniping range.
    I never expected him to do that.

But on the other side, he had my inspiring order of 'God dammit, why am i so bad at this, just walk over there so you can get killed and we never talk about this again!'
    I guess that really helped.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 14-02-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.

Network Hub
    Yeah, I didn't expect him to either (and neither did my simulation)...
    Ah well, good game nonetheless :)
    Find me on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Well, he did have cover against your sniper, so that is clear. The gunner is also no huge surprise as the tiny wall that gunner passed behind did not hide him long enough for my sniper to loose the aim. But the SG looks really, really off. I almost doubt a gunner could have done that and that was certainly no sniping range.
    I never expected him to do that.

But on the other side, he had my inspiring order of 'God dammit, why am i so bad at this, just walk over there so you can get killed and we never talk about this again!'
    I guess that really helped.
    Good pep talk!

Regarding the mirror maps / 2 rounds per opponent stuff. I agree that we're all fair and reasonable players here and that it's very unlikely anyone is going to make a deliberately unfair map to play - also there are always going to be some kind of balance / fairness issues we can't address.

Having said all that I still really enjoy the two side play personally; it makes me second guess my enemy even more when I'm also playing his side in another game. Maybe that's just me though, lets put it to a vote and move on.

I guess we vote twice - once for number of matches per challenger and once for number of challengers. Then we have our maximum match count.

Is there an elegant mechanic to do this or should we just wait for Col to add it to the spreadsheet?

BigBobr99 defeated rodeoclown in game 663669 with a score of 140.

Man, were you unlucky in that one! That turn #4 had it all wrong for you. The grenade missing my machinegunnerby a few meters and your grenade guy running right into my shotgunner. Good game, neverhteless!

BigBobr99 has challenged Maetco in games 664647 and 664648. Sorry, haven't taken any turns yet, will do tomorrow, thank God it's Friday!.

A cry out to Col: May we extend this tournament a bit? I simply don't have enough time to play so many games in such a little amount of time. No matter what I'll do my best to play as fast as I can in all my games this weekend.

What if we try something new next season? I'be been thinking with many people agreeing 10 matches are too much and stuff. Here is a tournament formula (or whatever) that will let each player play a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 games per tournament (for finalists only). Read up to the end, please, it's a bit confusing, I know.

16 players (the highest ranked player plays the lowest) - 8 winners form 4 new pairs and play - as a result 4 players are relegated to the bottom grid, 4 winners play in semifinals - 2 winners enter the final, 2 losers play against the finalists of bottom division - winners in those matches are awarded 3rd place in the whole tournament (2 bronze medalists). Gold and silver medalists are determined in the Final (8 games total)

8 players, who have lost in the first match are moved to the bottom grid, where they play against each other - 4 losers are eliminated from the tournament (having played 4 games in total) - 4 winners meet in semifinals - 2 losers are eliminated (having played a total of 6 games) - 2 winners play against 2 semifinals losers of top division for the 3rd place in the tournament (2 bronze medals).

In each matchup players play 2 matches against each other (same mode), in case of a tie the winner is determined by the score diffirence. THE LOWER RANKED player in each matchup selects the mode and challenges the higher ranked player, to even up the chances a bit.

I used the formula for Olympic Judo competition as my inspiration for this. Tell me what you think guys. I know it's a bit confusing, I wish I could draw a diagram or something, but I can't - poor computer skills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    The most obvious problem with that is that it only works cleanly if the number of contestants is a power of two, otherwise you have to start throwing in extra games and it gets even more complicated.

I was going to suggest that we keep the league format, do away with playing each person twice and go for division sizes of 6 or 7 (so you'd have 5 or 6 games each season). In the interest of fairness if you think your opponent has rigged the game in his favour you can rechallenge with reversed teams, and the game mode is decided by popular vote like we've been doing recently (subject to some weighting method to prevent the same couple of modes being played over and over).

Edit: also, to keep the composition of the divisions turning over I was thinking of swapping the 2 bottom players with the top 2 from the division below, rather than just one like I've been doing (when I remembered).
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 14-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by BigBobr99 View Post
    What if we try something new next season? I'be been thinking with many people agreeing 10 matches are too much and stuff. Here is a tournament formula (or whatever) that will let each player play a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 games per tournament (for finalists only). Read up to the end, please, it's a bit confusing, I know.

16 players (the highest ranked player plays the lowest) - 8 winners form 4 new pairs and play - as a result 4 players are relegated to the bottom grid, 4 winners play in semifinals - 2 winners enter the final, 2 losers play against the finalists of bottom division - winners in those matches are awarded 3rd place in the whole tournament (2 bronze medalists). Gold and silver medalists are determined in the Final (8 games total)

8 players, who have lost in the first match are moved to the bottom grid, where they play against each other - 4 losers are eliminated from the tournament (having played 4 games in total) - 4 winners meet in semifinals - 2 losers are eliminated (having played a total of 6 games) - 2 winners play against 2 semifinals losers of top division for the 3rd place in the tournament (2 bronze medals).

In each matchup players play 2 matches against each other (same mode), in case of a tie the winner is determined by the score diffirence. THE LOWER RANKED player in each matchup selects the mode and challenges the higher ranked player, to even up the chances a bit.

I used the formula for Olympic Judo competition as my inspiration for this. Tell me what you think guys. I know it's a bit confusing, I wish I could draw a diagram or something, but I can't - poor computer skills.
    As ColOfNature already said, this has a huge assumption of 16 players. What if there are 19? what about 15? Because the number of players changes practically every season we can't really use a system that is created for a fixed number of players. I must admit that I didn't read your post thoroughly because when I got to "16 players..." the previous thought came to my mind. I didn't find a part in your explanation (by browsing) how to tackle the problem of variable number of players. If it is there I must apologize.

BigBobr99 has beaten rodeoclown in 663667 with the score of 120.

Good game, mate! That move with the grenadier in turn 5 almost worked!

to Maetco: Well, if there are more or less than 16 players (even number of players), the highest ranked players skip the first round going straight to the 2nd. I don't really know what to do with uneven number of players :)

It was just a thought, I know it will be really hard to pull off here due to different limitations. Unnnokn number of players participating being the key one.

to Col: I support the idea of larger divisions, 2 people being relegating or promoted (to keep it tense), 1 match per opponent as well, to lessen the amount of games per season.
    Last edited by BigBobr99; 15-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.

It would seem my plan to win over BigBobr99 by use of meteorite wasn't effective, I shall have to try again. Next time I'll use Focus Aim.

Last edited by Fumarole; 15-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Was that thing aimed at me, Cimethink? :O

I don't even want to think what you mean by Focus Aim :)