Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar

"What does this have to do with videogames. More and more like Kotaku every day"

At least they are aware that the quality of their articles is dwindling. Though I bet that is written by John Walker after having received much criticism so as usual he take the passive aggressive stance and try to ignore the valid concerns of their readers.

I still cringe at this sort of article that appears on the front page: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...s-to-kill-son/

There is no source, no information about the game and only related to some "gaming culture", not unlike those Kotaku writers at all. So much for proper gaming journalism eh? This is not just a one-off too as more and more articles barely related to gaming have been posted on the website. So much so that I've to check who wrote the articles before reading them and this is really unfair for them as they occasionally put a decent article or two but it has left a bad taste for me to not to ignore them.

If this may sound harsh, my apologies...
    Last edited by AlonePlusEasyTarget; 31-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I find the story about the dad who hired gamers to gank his son repeatedly until his son stopped wasting time gaming all day to be an interesting human interest story.

If you don't like those kinds of stories, you don't have to read them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I have gone from reading every single post to cherry picking like I did at 1up (pre fall) or something like giant bomb.

I have started filtering by writer unless I really like the idea of the game in question.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Although I found the article about the Dad and the Son interesting I do have to agree that either:

1. Things and people change, and RPS is not what it used to be like.
    2. Things and people change, and I am not what I used to be like.

Where before I would find every single article posted interesting, intriguing or thought-provoking, I now scroll past the majority of them hoping to find one that catches my interest.

I never read every single post, but there were always enough interesting stuff to read in a voice that I couldn't find elsewhere. This is still true. About the only change I've noticed is that the volume of posts have increased - and that I generally call a good thing, as it means RPS is being relatively successful.

But really, in a paper, there's four basic types of news:

International News: "3,000 civilians killed this week amid fighting in Syria..."
    National News: "Costs of grain have risen due to record-breaking drought..."
    Local News: "City government threatens layoff of 2,500 workers..."
    Human Interest Stories: "Child victim receives charitable help, is grateful."

The last is to stop us from slitting our collective wrists over the first three.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the gaming world produce a number of stories every day (maybe 0.8 stories) and if you post more than that number, you are forced to make opinions (typical "blog posts") or mirror news other people are reporting, and that include "man byte dog" stories.

So I imagine a slider bar, with "Quality" on one side, and "Quantity" on the other, and it is configured to be in the middle, a noch to the right. I think some people would want to move the slider a notch to the left.

Personally, I want both quality and quantity. Maybe sacrifice quantity if theres a really good story to tell.

Another fact of life is that people get old and move on. I miss some posters, and writters,.. but we have to give a oportunity to new posters and new writters. The great writters have to start somewhere, and RPS could be the place.

We are not Kotaku yet, ... RPS still have to write articles about Cakes or some dude dreshing as the princess Zelda*.

* I know. I was trolling you.

I am Mr Alec Meer, lord of hair Bonzrat's Avatar
    From our first ever month of posting, July 2007: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007...mo-kidnapping/
    Peace through tyranny

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    "At least they are aware that the quality of their articles is dwindling."

Heh. For future reference, it's probably easier to assume that everything on RPS is written with heavy sarcasm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Even if you disliked the article in question, it's not as if they're posting that type of article instead of something you'd be interested in, so I really don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzrat View Post
    From our first ever month of posting, July 2007: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007...mo-kidnapping/

The comments on this article, what on earth?
    steam: sketch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I have gone from reading every single post to cherry picking like I did at 1up (pre fall) or something like giant bomb.

I have started filtering by writer unless I really like the idea of the game in question.
    Same approach tbh. There's zero point reading articles by people who curdle your blood.

I have to agree, it's quite a shock finding myself actively starting to avoid posts based on the writer or a combination of the topic and number of comments. It used to be that you could read anything and everything and it'd be pretty interesting. And I *do* like posts not strictly regarding a particular game, but stuff that goes on around gaming in general, but lately there's been an oberabundance of that kind of article, and they beat the same themes time and time again, making them all a bit "same-y". Then another problem is that everything is starting to get a little too politically correct and some people seem to be actively trying to egt offended by some thing or other. Or we have more american writers lately, I don't know.

I'm not trying to be offensive at all, just giving feedback as a reader. We know what you guys think as writers because we read you, this is the only way we have to let you know what we think as readers. Cheers!

Obscure Node
    I see this sentiment more frequently in the comments now, and I still really don't get it. Having been reading RPS for ages, the tone and the balance of articles seems pretty much the same to me as it ever did. I mean, the article about the in-game assassin does have a source -- Kotaku -- and the Kotaku article itself has a source, the Sanqing Daily. It's an interesting story, it's about gaming, so... what's the problem? I don't really know Kotaku, but even if some of their articles are somehow more "frivolous" or whatever I don't see what's wrong with pointing to the interesting ones.

RPS wouldn't be nearly as interesting if it was just a stream of reviews, previews, and development updates. There's a million websites for that. What sets RPS apart is the variety of stuff you see here, the random flights of fancy, the analysis, the essays, the playthroughs, opinion pieces and stories. They pick up on all the stuff that's part of the medium, the industry, the experience of being a gamer, that gets filtered out of the usual press releases and standard article formats. That's, like, what the whole New Games Journalism thing is about, innit?

But yeah, I guess I'll stop dancing around the huge elephant in the living room here. Part of that approach means picking up on stuff that has pervaded the industry for ages and that people are now actually starting to pick up on, to talk about and, if it's nasty bullshit, to point it out as nasty bullshit. Stuff like sexism, which is still rife as hell in the community and comes up pretty often in the medium itself. Other journalists and commentators are starting to talk about that, and RPS are picking up on a few of those stories. That's cool. That's their job. Despite how much it freaks people out, it still only takes up a tiny portion of the actual output of the site -- sexism, for instance, is not mentioned in more than a percent or two of the articles by my counting.

Seems like some people can't handle that and would prefer if RPS left all of those issues completely alone. I don't think RPS will, because they have integrity and stick to the same principles they always have. I quote the RPS staff:

"At RPS our knickers are almost permanently in a twist. And thatís because we operate in an industry thatís worryingly busy with pantie-bunching nonsense. Weíre also not the sort of site that likes to stay quiet about such things, and whole-heartedly believes that by making a fuss you can make a difference. Sometimes we have, sometimes we havenít, but weíve tended to have an opinion either way."
    Good bloody show, lads. Carry on. I mean, if you want to skip all of that stuff you're perfectly free to do so, but moaning about it, and especially kicking and screaming and being insulting in the comments section seems a bit silly. There's always IGN, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, etc etc etc, if all you want is straight-up "games reporting" (although now that I think about it, all of those sites have written about issues such as sexism with much the same approach as RPS. Guess this is an obvious and necessary facet of attentive journalism about this industry because these are issues that actually affect people!)

Meh, I like them all and can hardly tell one from another.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    This.

I can guess who gets the hatedom, but to me that says more about their haters than them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I can guess who gets the hatedom, but to me that says more about their haters than them.
    *chortles*

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, I wish I could blanketedly approve of RPS, I no longer recommend RPS to more mainstream gaming friends who want to look deeper. Sometimes I almost feel embarrassed by the articles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no savant writer, but I feel like my expectations of rps are being occasionally confounded on the front page. I also need to highlight that by and large the rps community are the most interesting, divergent and meritous folk as I could hope to meet online (I miss wizardry and wulf though), but some topics are needlessly incendiary and I avoid those threads.

I don't begrudge those writers their opinions but nor do I hasten to read them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I find the story about the dad who hired gamers to gank his son repeatedly until his son stopped wasting time gaming all day to be an interesting human interest story.
    Ditto.

Here's the thing - gaming has come so far in only a few short decades. We live in an interesting time where video games are still young enough to be scapegoated, still young enough to warrant constant studies into their effects, have gone from a geeky niche hobby to being bigger than the giant movie industry, and are sailing into the uncharted waters regarding both corporate and consumer rights.

So yes, I like reading articles that aren't necessarily about specific video games, but gaming, and the stories surrounding it.

If you cant tell the writers apart, you must not have read many articles. Its true that their styles are all similar, but you can definitely tell from *what* they write about.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    *chortles*
    You really have to learn a new word.

As it stands, this is beginning to sound like another "oh god it's John Walker" hatefest, and the roots of that always seem to be entirely unfounded.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Hate is a strong word. I don't need to hate something to be disinterested in it now do I?