Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What about Street Fighter 4,it looks nice and its not violent at all,sure they fight each other but its the art style which makes the game look friendly. No gore,no blood etc. Also it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    What about Street Fighter 4,it looks nice and its not violent at all,sure they fight each other

Image macros with cats never go out of fashion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I'm not trying to be unexcellent here, but it is seriously astonishing how sensitive some people are to "violence." Watching an animated character punch or even shoot someone isn't going to instantly destroy your brain. I've been gaming heavily for 20-some years now. I've punched, shot, stabbed, dismembered, and blown up untold numbers of video game baddies, from bunnies to brutes. In real life, I've never even punched someone. Never been in a fight. Never even held a gun, let alone fired one. It doesn't appeal to me in the real world. It's fun as all hell in video games though, and I enjoy it immensely there.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with a parent trying to control the violent content their child absorbs. Every child is different, and the ratings don't necessarily apply for what is in the end, a judgement call. You can't tell someone how to raise their children when it comes to entertainment, unless you somehow prove that withholding Doom constitutes as child abuse.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 02-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Just get him a copy of Simcity 4 or.... heh, maybe the the beta of SimCity if he's lucky
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    This is what I see when read every single mashakos post, but this might be the first time he actually used my imaginations actual words. What a braggart you are.
    what? I don't even notice my PC half the time, lol.
    I picked up the habit of sharing how any app/game performs for me personally from the mid to late '90s when performance and compatibility in Win95 was a crap shoot. Everyone was so frequently asking whether this app or game ran well or not (or something as simple as Flash in internet explorer) that I just automatically share how things run on my specs whenever it's brought up.

Didn't mean to offend your sensibilities Heliocentric!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Has anyone mentioned Plants vs Zombies?

I can't believe people suggest Mirrors Edge as a non-violent game. And stealth in games? Come on! Getting shot at (when detected) is violent too, you know. So is sneaking and stalking in someones house/fortress/bunker without permission.

That's a looong stretch. Stealth games usually have the capacity for violence, but there's nothing inherently violent about trespassing or burglary. in games like Stealth Bastard or Quadrilateral Cowboy you might meet your end violently, but that's more due to environmental hazards (that happen to purposefully kill you), much like driving off a cliff in a racing game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    what? I don't even notice my PC half the time, lol.
    Dude, I'm with Helio. All you do is peacock about your alleged skill with computers, except you get it wrong as often as you get it right. If it's not a ridiculous farce like your thread about boutique computer builders, it's you trying to browbeat Soldant into thinking you know better simply because you said so.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    it's you trying to browbeat Soldant into thinking you know better simply because you said so.
    We'll agree to disagree on the merits of an affordable compact PC with an actual user experience (except Gabe Newell seems to think it's a good idea and you don't for some reason) but you need to elaborate on this one.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Sorry if it's already been suggested, but Minecraft with "Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders" mod (SEUS) is both non-violent (i'm pretty sure we can class Minecraft as definitely "child friendly", right?), visually stunning and will kick your PC in the CPU and GPU's collective, metaphorical nutsack.

I use it to bench my machine occasionally. Hope that helps. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Chongx3 View Post
    The upcoming Star Citizen? I mean at least there is no blood or violence, just explosions in space, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and also Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.
    Isn't that coming in two or three years?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    We'll agree to disagree on the merits of an affordable compact PC with an actual user experience (except Gabe Newell seems to think it's a good idea and you don't for some reason) but you need to elaborate on this one.
    Elaboration:

You don't provide counter-arguments. You're just calling Soldant dumb, usually while misrepresenting his argument (tho, granted, you're not being as egregiously blind to it as Namdrol is). This is something of a theme for you: You seem to want to be seen as an expert on computers, except we tend to have to take your word on it, as all you offer is "I'm an expert on computers."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    --------------------------------------
    Take your beef outside of this thread. You are derailing it, and frankly, that does undermine your position on the high horse. Personal attacks are for PMs. I reckon I can dig up shit on everyone in this thread, but nobody's waiting on that.
    --------------------------------------

On the actual topic at hand:

it all depends on what the 'colleague' wants. If it's just to test what his pc is capable of: go for 3dMark, a benchmarking program. Ultimate bragging rights and actual scoring it is.

If he wants a game to actually play it gets harder, it will depend on - shocker - what he enjoys. Nonviolent solutions are (from nonviolent to background violence)

Racing games e.g: Project Cars / Dirt 3
    Flight Sims: VirtualPilot 3D (haven't played it myself)
    Sport: Madden/Fifa/NHL/NBA (whatever rocks his boat)

Maybe Dear Esther if he wants something more storylike, maybe a pretty P&C-adventure; it all depends if he wants something more gamey or more show-offy.