Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"How to build the perfect gaming PC"- Guardian UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...gaming-pc-2013

There's little doubt that PC gaming is undergoing a renaissance at the moment. With the current generation consoles chugging interminably slowly toward retirement, frustrated gamers are switching to computers with quad-core processors and top-end graphics cards that produce visuals of breathtaking fluidity and detail.
    So i was pretty suprised to see PC gaming getting such a positive write up in the mainstream press, and it's a halfway decent article as well- leagues ahead of any other PC gaming coverage in the printed press.

It's very heartening to see PC gaming described in such positive terms for once!

Banned
    Well, in Guardian's offense, they're mostly quoting other people who are more or less in the know about PC components.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Well, in Guardian's offense, they're mostly quoting other people who are more or less in the know about PC components.
    And that's bad how?

Isn't that like, how journalism is supposed to work?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Would you rather they just make stuff up like the "journalists" do online?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They did a pretty good job. I disagree entirely with the line "But with PCs it always pays to think as far ahead as your wallet will allow."

It really doesn't. With the PC it pays to have lowered expectations and wait behind the curve for upgrades. I'm not an expert, but in my experience the only time you should spring for more expensive stuff is when it has a huge effect or new standards will limit you from incremental upgrades in a few years (discrete graphics cards / lower latency RAM / a motherboard with the current socket / an SSD and HD / a sata mobo back in the IDE days).

You can see spec driven insanity by the suggestion that you buy a $360 graphics card and replace it in 18 months.
    Last edited by Internet; 31-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Isn't that like, how journalism is supposed to work?
    Of course not. This is how journalism is supposed to work:

1. Talk to some people about stuff you know nothing about. Take notes, keywords only.
    2. Get drunk.
    3. Using only the notes, write what you think they said pretending it's a -gate case.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    You can see spec driven insanity by the suggestion that you buy a $360 graphics card and replace it in 18 months.
    To be fair, they were talking mostly about GTX 660 Tis or AMD equivalents and those cost around USD 250 in the US. (Yes, GBP 230 is around USD 360 but regional pricing FTW)

"However, I believe the best approach is to go for the Nvidia GTX 660 Ti or the nearest AMD equivalent at 230, and then replace it 18 months on"

1. Talk to some people about stuff you know nothing about. Take notes, keywords only.
    2. Get drunk.
    3. Using only the notes, write what you think they said pretending it's a -gate case.
    Based on that post I assume you realized foolishness of your first post and tried to cover your embarrassment with silly joke.

the most important thing is CPU in my opinion. Gpu is easy to upgrade but CPU can be bitch. New socket means new mobo maybe ram... Future proof it first over gpu.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Like any newspaper site the Guardian will encompass a wide range of opinions. Just because the technology writer thinks PC gaming is having a bonny renaissance doesn't mean that the book editor can't be calling for video games to be banned. Opinions, journalists, assholes, etc. etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Deferring to your betters is the first step on the road to enlightenment. Only then can we attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Strazz View Post
    To be fair, they were talking mostly about GTX 660 Tis or AMD equivalents and those cost around USD 250 in the US. (Yes, GBP 230 is around USD 360 but regional pricing FTW)
    Even so, $250 would fund a chain of 4 low-end card upgrades and you'd still have saved money on inflation. I imagine VAT, personal standards, and regional pricing could change the attractiveness of upgrades vs. future proofing against consoles. I guess it might make sense if they're trying to exceed the upcoming consoles right now (even though it's the wrong time to be doing it), but it always annoys me when I see build articles that tell the uninformed to seek perfection instead of good enough at a comfortable cost.

I like the Tom's Hardware approach much better, where they have it broken down into tiers.
    Last edited by Internet; 31-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Xkcd 606

obligatory.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Deferring to your betters is the first step on the road to enlightenment. Only then can we attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance.
    And the proverbial tomahawk of truth in the skull of lies?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Based on that post I assume you realized foolishness of your first post and tried to cover your embarrassment with silly joke.
    Glad I'm not the only one.

But yeah, good press is good press.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    What I meant by my first post: it's hard(but in no way impossible) to fuck up your journalism if all you're doing is basically posting a bunch of quotes. If you think that's foolish or a joke or whatever, cool bro.

What I meant by my first post: it's hard(but in no way impossible) to fuck up your journalism if all you're doing is basically posting a bunch of quotes. If you think that's foolish or a joke or whatever, cool bro.
    "God, this lawyer doesn't know anything! He just keeps calling in expert witnesses to do his job for him!"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

2. Get drunk.
    Wow... So cynical. So Edgy.

To be fair to the Grauniad, Keith Stuart has been writing on gaming for them for over 8 years now. And that's included some PC specific praise.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Like any newspaper site the Guardian will encompass a wide range of opinions. Just because the technology writer thinks PC gaming is having a bonny renaissance doesn't mean that the book editor can't be calling for video games to be banned. Opinions, journalists, assholes, etc. etc.
    I don't think I've seen anything quite as egregious as that from the Graun. They do have Jonathan Jones, and the general let's-cause-some-outrage-and-get-us-some-clicks bollocks. And Suzanne Moore. And Burchill. And Jones did put out that "video games aren't art because I'm a pillock" article not that long ago. But on the whole they seem to be quite moderate... dedicated section to reviews and news etc., and usually balanced look at the effects of gaming (negative influence of driving games on actual driving behaviour). But no real knee jerk, vidya games are the Great Satan nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I don't think I've seen anything quite as egregious as that from the Graun. They do have Jonathan Jones, and the general let's-cause-some-outrage-and-get-us-some-clicks bollocks. And Suzanne Moore. And Burchill. And Jones did put out that "video games aren't art because I'm a pillock" article not that long ago. But on the whole they seem to be quite moderate... dedicated section to reviews and news etc., and usually balanced look at the effects of gaming (negative influence of driving games on actual driving behaviour). But no real knee jerk, vidya games are the Great Satan nonsense.
    Well, the New York Times employs David Brooks and Ross Douthat, much to everybody's chagrin, so it can technically get that egregious, but for the most part, the Guardian, Atlantic, Observer, Economist, WSJ and NYT stay fairly consistent with their editorial leanings.

Now, if you want shit articles outta left field, there's always Salon and Slate. Farhad Manjoo and Emily Bazelon both need to stick to personal blogs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Even so, $250 would fund a chain of 4 low-end card upgrades and you'd still have saved money on inflation. I imagine VAT, personal standards, and regional pricing could change the attractiveness of upgrades vs. future proofing against consoles. I guess it might make sense if they're trying to exceed the upcoming consoles right now (even though it's the wrong time to be doing it), but it always annoys me when I see build articles that tell the uninformed to seek perfection instead of good enough at a comfortable cost.
    This is written for normal people, rather than enthusiasts though. The key difference being they're not going to enjoy the process of getting a new card. Factor in an hour researching the best new card to get and ordering it, and another two hours taking apart the PC, putting the new card in, installing drivers and so on... even if you only value your time at $10/hour that's $30/upgrade or an extra $90 in time.