Obscure Node

Changing my motherboard

As the title says I'm changing my motherboard. Thanks to RPS' excellent Hard Choices series I have already purchased my new CPU, cooler, board and ram, and am just waiting for my system backup to complete before I get started. I have built a few PCs from scratch so I know what bits go where, but this is my first upgrade. I have a retail version of Win7 so I shouldn't need a new license, but should I dig out the installation disc just in case? I also seem to remember reading somewhere on the internet that I should install the new motherboards drivers beforehand, but I can't find that advice now and don't want it to have to fix it if it buggers everything up, so any advice on that front would be appreciated.

I'm changing from an Intel Core Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM and P5P41D motherboard to i5-3750k, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a Z77A-G43 motherboard.

The GPU is a GTX260, if that makes a difference to anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Past experience has thought me that new motherboards and existing installations of Windows don't play nicely with each other. You're right in thinking you won't need a new license, you can use the existing one and if it gives you any trouble there's a way you can contact MS about getting a new one.

As annoying as it sounds,
    -Backup your data
    -Wipe the drive
    -Install windows again

Someone else might have new/better information, but that's what I've had to do the last few builds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    If you don't want to reformat you can try a windows repair after you put the HD in the new Mobo. Used to work great with XP, but I haven't tried this with win7.

Obscure Node
    Windows repair, unfortunately, didn't help, but I have got everything backed up (hopefully) so I am re-installing currently.
    So far the hardest part of this upgrade was finding my install disc, with luck it will stay that way.

Obscure Node
    MotherBoards(MoBO) play key vital role in the performance of system. Here I am going to mentoin some best speedy and powerful mobos.
    EVGA 170-BL-E762.
    Asus P6X58D.
    EVGA E758-A1.
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2.
    Asus Rampage III Extreme.
    ASRock X58 Extreme.
    I am interesting to know which are your best?

Don't get an Asus P9X79, unless you really like BSOD's.