Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Someone said wireless - close the thread, the children have arrived...

Network Hub
    I'm think I might go with the Logitech G9x. Thanks for all the replies!

Network Hub
    I'll just stop you right there.

Don't get the G9x, it uses the Avago 9500 sensor, and I'm hearing it's not a particularly good implementation of it (not to mention the 9500 is a bit rubbish to begin with, as it has positive acceleration issues).

You're looking for a good implementation of the Avago 3888 sensor (like in the Deathadder or the Abyssus). It's the most accurate (modern) sensor. Plain and simple.

A few facts: (1) In general laser sensors are rubbish, optical sensors are not. (2) There are very few good sensors, there is a reason a lot of people still use old Microsoft mice (still stellar sensor quality and implementation). (3) When in doubt, don't buy Logitech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    (3) When in doubt, don't buy Logitech.
    You mean Razer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    You mean Razer.
    Not buying Logitech rules-out buying the best mouse in the world so it's clearly bollocks :)

I hope we're not getting into the point where a discussion just breaks down into a brand-loyalty war.

I was looking at getting something like/in the price bracket of the Logitech G300, should I be getting this or something else? Bear in mind I cannot use a right-handed mouse (and the suggestion that I should re-train isn't worth considering).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lefties/Ambis should look at the Roccat mice - they do a really nice (I forget the exact model) ambi mouse with a decent sensor and a load of buttons (as the extras are replicated on both sides)

It's not really brand-loyalty either - I hate Logi keyboards but the MX518 and it's successor are simply fantastic devices at a sensible price, I cannot even begin to think why you'd pay more for the gimmicky junk some people think they need (12 buttons - sensors which are far more details than you'd ever need, weights you'll never use and so on)

Network Hub
    This isn't really a discussion. Some sensors are better than others. Some sensors outputs the incorrect data, some outputs the correct.

By the way, I said don't buy Logitech in general. The G400 has an excellent sensor (I hope that's the mouse you're referring to).

It's not really brand-loyalty either - I hate Logi keyboards but the MX518 and it's successor are simply fantastic devices at a sensible price, I cannot even begin to think why you'd pay more for the gimmicky junk some people think they need (12 buttons - sensors which are far more details than you'd ever need, weights you'll never use and so on)
    I completely agree. I hate most of the mice out there. Most of the Razer mice are quite horrible. They do have a better percentage hit/miss ratio with their line up, though, simply because they have two mice with the Avago 3888 sensor.

If you're after stellar performance, you basically have to choose whatever mouse that has a sensor that isn't faulty. The Avago 9500 is borderline so, in my opinion. Some people have a higher tolerance for things like acceleration, but I see no reason to go for a lower quality sensor as long as the shape of the mouse is OK for you. I may seem like an elitist ass by saying this, but I wish you could have the opportunity to experience several mice side by side and do specific motions in, say, Photoshop/Paint. Until you do, you really don't understand how broken most of these sensors (and their implementations) are.

The Abyssus is made for both left and right handed people, it's cheap and it has the best sensor available. It's also perfect for claw grip (it's small), and it's light. The only thing that isn't particularly good about it is the rubberised surface of the standard edition (which changes after use, it gets very sticky). Unless you like sticky mice, the Mirror Edition is probably a better bet.

Of course, some people don't like to claw grip the mouse, and some people don't like smaller mice, but great performance is hard to find. If you're on the lookout for a specific size and shape, read up on the sensor before buying. There might exist a few mice outside of the usual suspects that have a sensor worth a damn, I haven't read up on every single one, but in general: it's hard to find mice with good sensors.

If shape and size is more important to you than performance, then you're more than welcome to buy a mouse with a rubbish sensor. It's up to you.
    Last edited by Sic; 18-02-2013 at 10:25 PM.

From personal use I would recommend the Razer Deathadder which I have been using for years now. There is also a new "2013" edition.

If I would buy a new gaming mouse right now, it would be the Zowie AM. I am always lurking in some Quake forums and people seem to be happy with it. And these people are very special when it comes to gaming mice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    To add anedoctal evidence to the thread, I am a lefty with large hands, I currently use a Razer Abyssus and I quite like it so far. Plus, there's no need for the software bloat that fancier Razer stuff tries to install.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    To add anedoctal evidence to the thread, I am a lefty with large hands, I currently use a Razer Abyssus and I quite like it so far. Plus, there's no need for the software bloat that fancier Razer stuff tries to install.
    You realise that without the software you're not really making use of the expensive mouse you've installed.

You have, in effect, got a standard optical mouse, perhaps with the ability to switch resolution on the sensor at best!?!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Nah, the Abyssus is Razer's entry level mouse, so you only get a couple of options to switch resolution and poll rating, and those are physical switches on the mouse itself. So it's not expensive, it works well, and there's no need to install drivers :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm pretty sure that the increased polling/bandwidth on Razer mice requires their own drivers to make use of it - otherwise it's being treat as a standard USB mouse.

I could be wrong - maybe in W7/W8 it's a proper driver already? It DEFINATELY wasn't in XP and early Vista tho

Network Hub
    It doesn't need the Razer drivers. In fact, as far as I know, Razer doesn't install any actual drivers, they use the Windows ones. All that is installed is bloat software.

In any case, everything you need is on the physical mouse itself.
    Last edited by Sic; 19-02-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Razer will need some drivers to support higher poll rates, any buttons beyond left/right/middle (perhaps forward and back ala Intellimouse from W7 onwards?) and any customisation other than changes to DPI triggered on the mouse itself surely?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    While I'm aware that Razer can add all sorts of ... interesting stuff via drivers, I doubt they can add buttons that aren't actually there in the first place. The Abyssus has two buttons and a wheel.

As for polling rate, it has a switch underneath it to control that.

Network Hub
    So, in spite of trjp's dismissal of the concept, I am interested in a wireless mouse - anyone have a model that they can recommend? I'm not an online multiplayer, so minimizing lag isn't the biggest problem. The Targus one I use has developed steadily declining battery life and sloppy wheel sensitivity. Anywhere in the 30-70 USD range would be fine.

Oh, and fuck Razer - the Imperator I had before shuffled off the digital coil two months after purchase.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    So, in spite of trjp's dismissal of the concept, I am interested in a wireless mouse - anyone have a model that they can recommend? I'm not an online multiplayer, so minimizing lag isn't the biggest problem. The Targus one I use has developed steadily declining battery life and sloppy wheel sensitivity. Anywhere in the 30-70 USD range would be fine.

Oh, and fuck Razer - the Imperator I had before shuffled off the digital coil two months after purchase.
    I missed this, back in the day, so I think I should qualify my comments on wireless mice.

Don't think that the lag is just an online gaming issue - it's not - mouse lag is unavoidable with wireless mice and it will bug you EVERYWHERE - art packages, dragging stuff around etc. - it's all a pain in the ass.

When you add the issue of recharging or changing batteries you've added more reasons not to bother with wireless.

Don't get me wrong - my first wireless mouse seemed like an amazing idea and it's batteries would last 6-8 months but I often wondered about it's lack of precision, figured it was lag and so I switched back to a cable and it was MUCH better.

I then picked-up 4 different wireless mice - all high-end ones from Logi etc. - and they all had the same lack of precision and occasional lag - something I've NEVER seen on a cabled mouse.

So - summary - you're paying quite a lot more for a feature which has one really obvious downside and a few other annoyances - against a cabled mouse which just requires you tidy your desk up a bit ;)

If you want to waste the money - knock yourself out but ALL wireless mice have lag and comms issues to a much more noticeable degree than even a £5 cabled mouse.

Hell I'd like a BIG Logi mouse but the discontinued the G9 and the G700 is wireless and so I'm oot...

I've had my Sharkoon Fireglider a couple of months, since the last 'recommend me a mouse thread'.

I love it to bits and would recommend it in a beat.