Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar

What's new in the last 3 months?

I saw an update on the T:A Facebook page and saw some stuff I didn't recognize.

So, for those who are still playing -- what's new lately?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Mh, not that much. XP prices got cut in half.
    Also there are several new maps in the works and turrets are finally getting shields. But that's not out yet in case I haven't missed a patch lately. Haven't played much. PS2 is taking most of my online multiplayer time.

the shields are designed to stop people from disc-sniping the assets. there are now public test servers where there are 3 new CTF maps, and 2 (I think? probably more) arena maps. They are implementing the shocklance from T2 into the game.

There's now a official community manager HiRezAPC who is corresponding actively with the community on reddit and such. r/tribes is the way to go for any new information and discussion anyways. There's actually a thread there called "So I haven't played in four or five months" with more info.

and the XP thing of course, which is great.

Thanks to you both for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzu View Post
    the shields are designed to stop people from disc-sniping the assets. there are now public test servers where there are 3 new CTF maps, and 2 (I think? probably more) arena maps. They are implementing the shocklance from T2 into the game.
    The shocklance thing was what confused and interested me the most.

There's now a official community manager HiRezAPC who is corresponding actively with the community on reddit and such. r/tribes is the way to go for any new information and discussion anyways. There's actually a thread there called "So I haven't played in four or five months" with more info.
    Thanks -- that's just the kind of thread I was looking for.

Activated Node
    I haven't played much either. Will have to take a look once the patch comes out.

Btw, what ever happened to that Roxton guy from Behind the Blue Plate? He up and vanished about the time I got busy and started slacking off at playing Tribes... His guides were really helpful for when I was just getting into the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    They just announced a GoTY version. Gets you all the unlockable stuff for a fixed price. Surely a nice addition for people just starting the game.

Activated Node
    So the Patch is coming tomorrow with six new maps. I wonder if there's enough RPSers to get a match going?

I admit I'm not playing at all now, but will drop in to give the new content a shot sometime this week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Yes! new content.

Basically: There is a new weapon, called the shocklance, which is a melee weapon which drains your energy, but is more effective then general melee.
    Turrets and radar sensors no longer have upgradable health: Instead they have shields. As a result, they are much harder to destroy once the generator is up, and easy to destroy once it is down. Explosive ammunition as well as (sticky) grenades are very effecctive against shields (as wel as the "mechanic" repair tool), but spinfusors are pretty much useless. If you want to take down a turret, you will have to get up close.
    Mortars now explode upon contact with a turret at any range.
    There is three new maps on CTF, and three new on Arena.
    I have played two new CTF maps. One of them is in a desert area. The other looks like it is a classic tribe map conversion, including low res trees :P. I haven't played the third yet.

I've played all three new CTF maps. Wouldn't like to say how "good" or not they are in play terms (though I like all three, which is more than I can say for the last few maps that have been introduced), but they are, if nothing else, beautiful. The Moon map in particular feels like playing inside concept art.

Hi guys! I played Tribes was during the beta, and up to a bit after the release. I pretty much stopped playing when they started to pump out all those new weapons so I'm far behind now... What I need to know? Is still Medium armor + Spinfusor the standard way go? I had a good Soldier class, not 100% on everything but almost, and I was starting to enjoy sniping too.. then I suddenly had no time to play, and then Planetside 2 got all my attention, but now I'm back, reinstalling the game as we speak.
    I really hope to find a good number of new maps too :]
    Used to play as SolarFox on RPShazbot servers

I'm not up to date, but they released a secondary slot Spinfusor (the Spare Spinfusor, does a little less damage than the original), so you can carry an AR+Fusor, which is my preferred Soldier loadout.

very interesting! I was quite fond of my pistol aim, but AR+Fusor seems amazing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    really tempted in getting the Goty version now honestly.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

I played for an hour or two this weekend, and was finding it fun again. Whether it's the new content or my time off causing that, I'm not sure. Haven't messed with the Shocklance at all yet, but I'm glad it's taking up a weapon slot. I am also glad to see the halved XP requirement for unlocks. Having excess XP to spend makes that part fun for me. I won't really run out unless I start getting Shocklances for all of my characters.

So, VIP accounts seem to no longer be a thing, though you retain the status. Am I still getting VIP XP?

The new maps are somewhat enjoyable. The moon one, blueshift(i think) is fun to go very fast on and they made it Blitz as well! Bella is back and pretty fun. Canyon Crusade is also somewhat enjoyable if you have good teams.

Shocklance is difficult to use except with INF, when it is a bit overpowered.

A new feature I enjoy is the halo of light around all grenades, not just proxies. Makes them a lot easier to avoid.

The new arena maps are pretty fun. One of them is a bit CODy, but would be fun to play with more than 5v5.

Maybe we can schedule a game for next weekend sometime. Post availabilities and I will find a good time and look into setting up a server again(or we just jump on a random server).

If the prices are still a bit sharp it may be wise to hop onto a public server.

My initial reactions despite not playing for ages:

The new maps seem nice, but the canyon one seems to be directly ripped out of 1998 technically (not a major issue, but the textures were distracting me slightly in my dumb way)

BELLA OMEGA ON THE BEACH! (in the desert) I can imagine this is causing some very aggressive arguments still.

I'm not fussed about unlocking anything else, and after sinking a load of cash into it I really don't want to spend any more on the last few bits and bobs I don't have. Its nice for new players, and its nice for people who bought maybe a spinfusor and the eagle pistol, but for someone who has sunk about $50ish into it, its not that great.

OH GOD PLAYING THIS AFTER DARK SOULS IS CONFUSING!

Was nice to be playing with Poppis, Aural and PaperRat again, even if I was just genhumping with the Brute.