Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    Is it piracy if you download something and then delete it? If it is piracy is it a lost sale ? Remember home taping killed music in the 80's kids (We all know it was really Stock Aitkin and Waterman)
    If you download the game to play it and then delete it when you are done then yes it's piracy.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Fallout 3

Tomb raider underworld with a console only dlc (that's right, you cant actually finish the narrative on pc)

Fable 1 (dlc bundled in on pc),
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Sort of kind of with Fable 1 without the new content it was still a more or less complete ending.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just make this game F2P or $20 + $$ to complete it faster.

Its like they are trying to monetize the game as a F2P/mobile game and a AAA $60 at the same time.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I really liked Prince of Persia (2008), so it irritated me that the epilogue in the form of a DLC was only available on consoles.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Was announced just today that the first content DLC for the game will be out in March. It'll be $10 and called Awakened.

The game isn't yet available in Europe.

So I'll be waiting until a nice sale for my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    If you download the game to play it and then delete it when you are done then yes it's piracy.
    Even if you don't play it, if you download it via a P2P network, you're facilitating piracy by participating in the swarm ; you're not just downloading, you're serving it up to others as well. This can land you in much hotter water than just downloading it.

Downloading it tells the publisher that the game is popular. Most of them will be unable to separate this from "like the game, hate the DLC policy".

Much better to take the money you would have spent on it, and give it to someone making games on the terms you prefer. And send a letter to the publisher explaining why you won't be buying their game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    If you download the game, then delete it, then don't play, it's still piracy. If you download part of it, it's piracy. If you view the entire code but only HTML over a webcam, it's still piracy. Hmmm.

Network Hub
    I myself don't mind.

Won't by buying it or looking at it at all. I liked Dead Space because it wasn't spess mehreens shooting at bad men. Now it's spess mehreens. I already have that game. IT'S CALLED SPACEMARINE.

The DLC is unacceptable, but you get what you pay for. Despite the control issues, I still think the first game was the best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I think the last video game I bought where EA were publishing was Dragon Age 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I think the last video game I bought where EA were publishing was Dragon Age 2.
    Bad Company 2 for me.

They never fixed the hit detection. So I decided to never buy their games after that without reading other peoples' experiences first.

As luck would have it, that was right around the time when they decided start their race to the bottom with Activision.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Network Hub
    Incase it wasn't obvious, EA is in money grubbing mode.

I'm playing Dead Space 3. The first two weapons are pretty fine. Enemies die from a few limb removals, soldiers die from headshots... and then you get to craft a weapon. This is also when they start introducing proper Necromorphs (the back-blades one) as a main enemy, instead of squishy "infected" enemies.

It's a Tesla core + a 2hand frame. It makes a Line Gun.
    I'm playing on Easy mode, the easiest of difficulties.

This gun takes ~4 shots to remove a Necromorph's legs. It fires approximately once every 2.5 seconds.
    With the enemies moving faster now, from one end of a corridor to the other, you'd be lucky to get three shots in.
    How better to convince people to pay for weapons than to make un-upgraded ones peashooters?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Playing on hard, and the two DLC weapons you get for pre-ordering are sort of breaking the difficulty. Everything is shit easy to kill.

Regarding the line gun, it seems awful compared to the one in DS1 and DS2.

Network Hub
    Okay, a bit more into the game. I'm going to go ahead and call poor design on this one.

The enemies are fast. The rooms are small. Half the enemies I am killing within melee range and the major thing I'm looking for in weapons is "Will it keep them the hell away from me?", which is why I've gone with a Shotgun/Javelin.
    Tungsten drops like gold dust and is needed for anything more complicated than "Does +1 damage" or "Fires a bullet", meaning you need to constantly have a scav bot out.

It's not scary. There are vents everywhere and enemies will normally appear right on top of you. The only ones that don't are the tentacle definitely-weren't-babies-in-Dead-Space-1 dogs.

I'm having fun, shooting and gathering materials. It is Weapon Crafting Simulator and I love that. 7/10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Just tell yourself that Dead Space 3 is a game for collectors and enthusiasts, and then a profusion of DLC becomes the Best Thing Ever! (To judge by the response to my olden threade about Train Simulator 2012 =P).

Maybe they'll be like the Far Cry 2 DLC, which slots so seamlessly and optionally into the game that I didn't realize it was DLC for like two years.
    Last edited by Berzee; 07-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Network Hub
    After seeing the open space section I really want this but I refuse to pay full price for something that has micro transactions/DLC so disgustingly implemented into the ingame interface. Real shame as I can't see them moving away from this anytime soon. Are there any franchises EA haven't quite molested yet?

Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    After seeing the open space section I really want this but I refuse to pay full price for something that has micro transactions/DLC so disgustingly implemented into the ingame interface. Real shame as I can't see them moving away from this anytime soon. Are there any franchises EA haven't quite molested yet?
    You can get it for -25% from GMG with a voucher. Tempted but haven't gone for it yet.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The animosity toward EA always makes me laugh.

TB's WTF on the subject explained that it is really 7 pieces of DLC with a few bundles thrown in. So while still excessive, one can easily make the argument that they are just letting you buy all the stuff that is usually pre-order at Store X exclusive.

Also, refusing to pay for something that integrates purchasing the DLC into the game interface? Seriously? What, you only tolerate DLC stores that are kept 100% excluded and make you jump through ninety hoops? Take it from someone who also plays console games: This is actually really nice as, when properly integrated, you have a MUCH nicer experience. Rather than having to exit out of the game, open up the PS Store (that runs like ass these days...), search, and buy, I can just click a menu in game and see "Ooh, that looks nice". And if REALLY done well, I buy entirely from within game and never have to exit and re-enter.

Also, I do strongly suggest watching Total Biscuit's video on it. While it has the potential to be very bad (and is bad on principle), his tentative statement was that it doesn't feel like the game is geared toward the DLC and that, like Dead Space 2, you are better off just ignoring it anyway.

Based on TB's video and a friend (who has a huge hard-on for the entire Dead Space series), I'll probalby buy this when it hits a pretty low price point. Looks fun, but from what I have watched I am pretty sure I'll still spend the whole game saying "So... a remake of System Shock 2?"
    Last edited by gundato; 07-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'll probably buy it because of TB. Sigh. At least I have a huge backlog and a lot to do lately so it'll probably be cheaper then.

Network Hub
    "Also, refusing to pay for something that integrates purchasing the DLC into the game interface? Seriously?"

I worded that point pretty badly, I am not buying Dead Space 3 at full price because I think gameplay micro transactions have no place in a full priced game and I won't support one that does. Being integrated into the screens that pop up while playing what should be an atmospheric game is just a sad sign of business model getting in the way of how I want to experience games.