Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar

Kickstart a publicly accessible space telescope

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...for-everyone-0

For $25 you can put yourself into space (well an image at least). Anyone going to back this project?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Just having my morning coffee so my brain hasn't quite kicked into action yet, but as I understand it they're building these things to prospect asteroids for mining and want funding to send an extra one up for more general use, is that right? Sounds like a cool idea, though a bit more detail would be nice to figure out what an average user will actually be able to do besides take a picture of a picture of themselves in orbit.

Some things that immediately came to mind:

How will telescope time be allotted? Will you be able to schedule time to look at an object you really want to or just take what you're given?

They're showing some examples including a false colour composite of the Orion Nebula taken in multiple passes by the Hubble telescope. Will you really have enough time and control to make multiple exposures in different wavelengths like that?

How will those technical specs actually translate into what you'll be able to see? For example this thing will be relatively small, with an aperture of 200mm, compared to 2,4m for the Hubble Telescope. It can resolve 1 arcsecond compared to 0,1 (about the diameter of Pluto seen from Earth) for Hubble. I don't know enough about neither astronomy nor optics to really draw any conclusions from that, but it's a rough indication at least.

Still, this seems like a really cool thing and I would've loved it if science class included things like pointing a telescope to take pictures of the moons of Jupiter or closeups of our own moon, for example. Amateur astronomy is both expensive and limited, time on "proper" telescopes is pretty much impossible unless you're involved in a research project for a university, so any prospect of giving access like this is attractive. If I had some spare money about me I'd certainly try to find out more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    So awesome, and the funds will come out just after payday. Pledged :D
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    Yup this looks like something kickstarter will be taking my money for again!

I want my ashes sent to space.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    I want my ashes sent to space.
    I suppose with some planning you could get certainly get a picture of them into space.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I suppose with some planning you could get certainly get a picture of them into space.

I could just get a ticket on Richard Bransons first passenger space tour, it will probably blow up in orbit anyway if Virgin broadband is anything to go by.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    I could just get a ticket on Richard Bransons first passenger space tour, it will probably blow up in orbit anyway if Virgin broadband is anything to go by.
    I don't have much experience with Branson other than that the one time I flew on Virgin Airlines I was able to play Doom on the headrest thingie, which made for a fun flight. Unfortunately I couldn't LAN with the fellow next to me.

Perhaps his space tours will feature Freespace, or something.