Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On StratGir nights, I think things generally work quite well.
    The hardest bit is for squad leads to get used to tuning in to the key voices. I'm not bad, others are better (and when I need to, I just ask for a repeat). The option to mute my squad for a few seconds would be great, but mumble doesn't have it, so . Some squad leads however seem to really struggle to communicate with both sides at once.
    I don't think yelling at your squad to shut up is good though - the information they are communicating to each other is often very valuable. Of course, telling them to listen to you and do things NOW is often necessary,

One thing I will say is that I don't care how strategically useful it is, I don't want to ghost cap more than the minimum necessary. I play the game to get involved in fights, not to avoid them. I especially don't want to be sent out to ghost cap in such a small team that if there is a fight, we can never win. (On of Quanta's earlier nights had a big issue with this in Indar near the TR gate. A single squad would be sent to cap a base, would take it, and would then get spawn camped by enemy air and armour, while the other squad who'd be sent to cap were complaining of the same thing. What we'd actually needed was one squad to cap, the other to provide cover). There's a fine line here, because there's also no point in getting bogged down going nowhere. But I think it is one that, on balance across a night, can be walked. (Obviously sometimes you will get facestomped by the zerg, sometimes the enemy will have vanished by the time you arrive).

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    (On of Quanta's earlier nights had a big issue with this in Indar near the TR gate. A single squad would be sent to cap a base, would take it, and would then get spawn camped by enemy air and armour, while the other squad who'd be sent to cap were complaining of the same thing. What we'd actually needed was one squad to cap, the other to provide cover). There's a fine line here, because there's also no point in getting bogged down going nowhere. But I think it is one that, on balance across a night, can be walked. (Obviously sometimes you will get facestomped by the zerg, sometimes the enemy will have vanished by the time you arrive).
    I think I learnt a valuable lesson that night.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Ghost cap is necessary quite a lot of times. We should not be involved in it too often though.

Yeah, i just thought i would put it out there... It was literally just a non serious proactive suggestion to combat the issues that SL's had last week of not being able to hear me over their squads. I personally have had no issues with the current setup at all. As CMaster and Mitchk mentioned, you can't always tell people to shut up whenever the PL speaks, but you can get used to focusing in on the voice that matters, and that probably is the best solution in the end.

To completely change directions here, some time in the near future we will have to roll with a 2nd StratGir platoon due to increasing numbers. Last week people had to miss out because it was full, only a hand full, but they still missed out. Just a heads up for preparing Mumble and such.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    To completely change directions here, some time in the near future we will have to roll with a 2nd StratGir platoon due to increasing numbers. Last week people had to miss out because it was full, only a hand full, but they still missed out. Just a heads up for preparing Mumble and such.
    Yeah, we've touched upon this before a few times. I think the consensus was to simply use the "overflow platoon" as an echo/foxtrot... platoon, treat them as part of the platoon, under PLs lead and all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Addressing the "few missing out thing"... if there arent many people to make another group, some volunteers should probably move over to a new platoon to flesh out the numbers a bit. If this happened with me around, id gladly lead a new squad with a few from each of the others, just so people dont miss out.

Quanta: I have played quite a few games, actually been here from giraffe outing day 1, so apologies if ive not given much of a presence lol. Im sure there are at least a few people who know who i am by now, and ive seen you quite a few times, so possibly weve just not been in a squad together or youve just missed me.. I had to take a couple of breaks myself.. played a few before xmas, then a few after, but ive missed the last two unfortunately due to other things.. I have played some weds and sundays, just casually.. Ive squad lead quite a few times, and PLed once, so i am about

I agree though, its being over-thought a bit, but i think it is working out now.. we just need to stay in communication, and make sure everybody is on the same level with what people expect.

Also, my advice about comms was for other people... i dont have a problem, because I already use the overlay.. the only issue is when people talk at the same time with similar voices.. the overlay displays both speakers, and i still have to ask who was who.

also, feel free to call me just Basic, or Paul, or Basic Paul. Basic Pauly was all i could use, because id already used basicpaul on a different one. Steam is basicpaul and stuff :P
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 04-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.

@Cooper

Might be worth adding at least an 'Echo' channel to the StratGir Mumble before Thursday. So people can add it's squad leader as a 'shout to' option in advance.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick