Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar

For the Emperor!

A Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai campaign in which I attempt to restore the Chrysanthemum Throne to its rightful place of power during the Boshin War

The Yamauchi clan owe their lordship in Tosa to their support of Oda Nobunaga, and then, after that great warlord's death, their support of Tokugawa Ieyasu at the battle of Sekigahara in 1600. Those families who supported the newly victorious Shogun did rather well in the centuries that followed. The Tosa domain, however, was predominantly loyal to the Emperor's party by the time of the Boshin War: predominantly, but not entirely. Yamauchi Toyoshige urged the Shogun to return authority to the Emperor, avoid open warfare and so prevent Choshu and Satsuma from becoming even more powerful. When this became impossible, Tosa sided with the Emperor's forces.

However, this gives Yamauchi and their domain some advantages. They are skilled in diplomacy, and have a good deal of naval expertise which is reflected in their ships' experience and in their ability to bombard shore targets.

-Introduction to the Tosa campaign

Emperor Meiji

Challenge

To restore the Emperor of Japan to his place of power, thus ending the seven hundred year long rule of the Shogunate.

Victory Conditions

Capture and hold 26 provinces. In addition, ensure at least 50 provinces are held by forces loyal to the Emperor, including Musashi and Yamashiro, by the end of the year 1876.

Starting location

Difficulty

Hard

Faction selected

Tosa

Tosa banner
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I came hear to say "my face is my shield" I leave frightened and confused.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I came hear to say "my face is my shield" I leave frightened and confused.
    I was planning on correcting him on the proper spelling of "Emprah" myself but I'll follow you out.

The Players

Yamanouchi Toyoshige

As daimyo of Tosa and the Yamanouchi clan, it falls upon Toyoshige to lead his people in restoring the Emperor to power. Wearing the distinctive Shoguma headdress, Toyoshige is a sight to instill courage in his men and fear in his enemies as he fights like a bear on the battlefield. Fierce though he is, Toyoshige always looks for a peaceful solution when he can and takes to the field only as a last resort.

Yamanouchi Toyonori

Son and heir of Toyoshige, Toyonori is expected to accomplish many great things for the honor of the clan. While his father is more level headed, Toyonori yearns to find quicker solutions to restoring the Emperor's power. Chief among them is leading his men into battle in the Emperor's name and eliminating the power of the Shogunate on the battlefield. Perhaps with time he will see the wisdom of settling things with words instead of swords.

Sakamoto Ryoma

A former ronin, Sakamoto is often referred to as the father of the Imperial Japanese Navy, as he worked tirelessly to create a naval force powerful enough to overthrow the Shogunate. He was a visionary who foresaw a Japan without any feudal trappings, realizing that in order to compete with an industrially and technologically advanced outside world, the Japanese people needed to modernize.

Naomi

Entirely dedicated to the clan's cause, Naomi is set on using her feminine wiles to support her daimyo in subduing his enemies. An excellent dancer, artist and musician, she is capable of bending men to her will, causing them to forget all about the troubles of the day, the next day and the day after that as well. She is to be a vital part of the clan's successful prosecution of its plans.

Si vis pacem fac bellum

Yamanouchi Toyoshige holding court

Winter 1864

My first priority is to secure the island of Shikoku for the Emperor's loyal subjects. Once this is accomplished, my navy will be used to prevent Shogunate forces from invading the island, freeing my armies to march on Kyushu and eventually Honshu. Sharing the island with me are my allies the Tokushima, loyal subjects of the Emperor. In order to strengthen the bond between our two clans, I have arranged a marriage between the Yamanouchi heir Toyonori and Achacha, the daughter of Tokushima's daimyo Hachisuka Narihiro. Once the marriage is secured, Toyonori begins to gather forces to march on the city of Iyo, held by the hated Ozu on the other side of the island. Since Ozu support the Shogunate they will be shown no mercy and will serve as the first stepping stone in my mission to restore the Emperor.

My council advises capturing Iyo

In order to support Toyonori's assault on Iyo in the spring, Naomi is sent ahead to gather information regarding Ozu strength in the vicinity. If an opportunity presents itself, she will attempt to prevent the city garrison from assisting the Ozu army if the engagement takes place outside the city.

Since Iyo is close to the coast, my navy will lend assistance by bombarding the city from the sea. My entire navy, a Kaiten class corvette and two Chiyodagata class gunboats immediately steam for Iyo to soften it prior to Toyonori's assault.

left: Kaiten class corvette
    right: Chiyodagata class gunship

Man, I have to play me some Shogun 2. I might play the same campaign actually.

Good to see another AAR by you. I really enjoyed the last one.

The Battle of Iyo

Shivering beauty
    raises my spirit higher.
    The herald of spring.

Spring 1864

During the long, cold winter Naomi determined that the Ozu force in Iyo was of comparable number to my own. When the snow melted enough to make the roads navigable Toyonori wasted no time marching his army for Iyo with all possible haste. As soon as Toyonori's force cleared the horizon, the Ozu general Kato Yasuaki withdrew into the city. He would not hide for long however, as the siege coupled with naval bombardment would eventually spell his doom. Knowing he had no other choice, Kato soon sallied forth to meet Toyonori on the field of battle.

First blood

Toyonori waited patiently for the Ozu force to come to him, allowing time for the Tosa navy to zero in on the advancing Shogun forces. A deadly price was exacted by the naval artillery on the long march to meet me in battle.

Spear levy wait patiently for the enemy's arrival

Ozu forces are shelled mercilessly
    Last edited by Fumarole; 09-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Good to see another AAR by you. I really enjoyed the last one.
    My thoughts exactly - though I came to it late, once it had already finished!

The Battle of Iyo (cont.)

Rain and high explosives alike fall upon the Ozu

Once the shelling starts, Ozu is forced to rush into battle with me lest they die to my bombardment. In an act of clear desperation, their daimyo charges my force before his men are in a position to successfully engage. Though his charge exacts a heavy toll on my men, the Ozu daimyo is slain before the battle proper begins.

​The Ozu daimyo meets his fate while his force looks on in the distance

Soon enough the battle proper commences. Losses are heavy on my side but the day is won as the Ozu army loses heart after seeing their daimyo fall before my might. The Ozu army is obliterated and ceases to exist as an operational unit by the time the smoke clears on the battlefield. Capturing Iyo is an important first step on the long road that lies ahead.

The battle proper begins

An auspicious start

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Fumarole I'd love to see you write a Sword of the Stars AAR, it's essentially Total War: Space anyway.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    天皇のために!

(For the emperor in Japanese, according to Google)

I've never been really into Total War games, but Shogun 2 came the closest because I adore the setting. Reading this with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    @Fumarole I'd love to see you write a Sword of the Stars AAR, it's essentially Total War: Space anyway.
    That is an excellent suggestion. Perhaps my next AAR will find me among the stars.

First Step

Iyo is captured

With Iyo joining my realm, the Ozu clan ceases to be. The wealth of this sizable province will now be put to use in furthering the Imperial cause. Wealth from the copper mine will fund future wars while highly trained shinobi from the traditional dojo will be set loose upon my foes. The first such man, Kageie, has already been recruited to establish a spy network in Iyo. Though the people there are happy to be freed from their former overlords, they can only be trusted so far for now.

Iyo peacefully joins my realm

Kageie

To make my financial situation even better, my envoys have successfully negotiated a trade agreement with the Takatsuki clan on Honshu. Their imperial-friendly daimyo will no doubt be a strong ally when the time comes for me to land my armies on the mainland. For now though, trade alone must suffice. It is prudent for them to be wary in these troubled times, but they will find me to be a staunch ally once our causes are joined.

Trade will fuel my war machine
    Last edited by Fumarole; 06-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Looking forward to this, I really enjoyed the other one. And a SotS one afterwards would indeed be a great idea.

Sanuki

The next target on my list is the Marugame clan in Sanuki. They are the last bastion of pro-Shogunate forces on Shikoku and need to be removed to secure the island for Imperial forces. To determine their strength Naomi makes her way into the province, but just as she makes contact with the Marugame army she discovers an enemy shinobi in the vicinity. To ensure the safety of my geisha I have her immediately travel back into friendly territory and away from unfriendly knives.

Bad news for my geisha

I do not know if the brief appearance of Naomi in their province instigated it or not, but the Marugame have declared war on my ally the Tokushima. This plunges me into conflict with the Marugame earlier than I had hoped; Toyonori's force is still replenishing losses in Iyo. The rushed hostilities are ultimately no matter as the combined might of two Imperial armies will surely crush the Marugame, who have no allies to help delay their demise.

Kachi armed with matchlocks and spears

In order to better arm my forces for dealing with pro-Shogunate forces, I have instructed my ministers to conduct arms deals with foreign powers. This will allow me to acquire advanced weaponry to hasten the destruction of all who stand before me. In the near future I will be able to deploy field guns, at which point no force will be able to withstand my might, whether they face me in the field or cower behind walls.

The sword edge cuts deep:
    Do the dead care who struck them:
    Swordsmith or swordsman?

Sanuki (cont.)

Heralding summer.
    The orange blossom in bloom
    Bright and beautiful.

Summer 1864

With the weather becoming increasingly warm, the Marugame leave Sanuki and march towards Tosa. Buying time for Toyonori to march to meet the Marugame, Sakomoto Ryoma gathers the levy infantry defending Tosa and marches into the nearby mountain pass. If the Marugame enter Tosa before Toyonori can arrive to threaten their rear, Sakomoto will delay the Marugame as best he can by ambushing them in the high forests.

As soon as Toyonori marches, Hageie begins to hear murmurings of discontent in Iyo: it would seem the locals were only kept in check by the presence of Toyonori's large force. The Marugame are going to have to be defeated quickly before the citizens of Iyo rise up against their newly acquired lord. The last thing I need is a rebel force running amok in my rear while the Marugame threaten Tosa and my daimyo.

Dark wings, dark words

There are even more grim tidings reaching my ears: the Gujohachiman clan have abandoned the cause of the Emperor and sided with the pro-Shogun forces! This is distressing news indeed, as this means there is one more foe to be overcome on my route to restoring the Emperor. These traitorous dogs shall be shown no mercy when my armies are on their doorstep.

The Gujohachiman will pay for their treason

The great leader understands that warfare if about more than battles and armies. He considers government, trade, foreign influence and much else when contemplating his actions. In this way, he sees advantages in the chaos of war and uses them. He does not fear its disorder. As the ancient shih states:

To become master,
    you must overcome weakness,
    cast aside all fear,
    step gladly into the dark
    and great death as an old friend.

The poetry of death

Last edited by Fumarole; 09-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.

The Second Battle of Iyo

You rebel scum

After several weeks of maneuvering, Toyonori manages to force the Marugame to fall back to Sanuki. No doubt the Tokushima army marching on their capitol hastened their departure from my lands. Unfortunately this happy event came too late, as the time spent chasing the Marugame across the countryside has enabled the pro-Shogun forces in Iyo to mount a full scale rebellion. With Toyonori away from the city the rebels wasted no time in assaulting the city. My remaining forces were vastly outnumbered as well as outclassed; nevertheless, they fought to the last!

A hopeless situation

Though they put up a fierce resistance to make their daimyo proud, the defenders at Iyo succumbed to the rebel assault. The fighting in the castle came down to a vicious melee after the walls were scaled by enemy spearmen. Eventually the rebels forced open a gate, letting in a tide of cavalry that could not be stemmed. Dying to the last man, the defenders inflicted great casualties on their superior foes. Soon enough they would be avenged however, as Toyonori would return to the city in a few days to finish off what these brave dead souls could not finish on their own.

Bloody melee

Captain Shoni's first and last command

The Second Battle of Iyo (cont.)

A scene I do not wish to see repeated

The loss of Iyo to the rebels was a costly blow to my economy. In particular, losing the wealth generated by the copper mines made me raise taxes in Tosa lest my army find themselves fighting for free. Needless to say, this upset the locals there mightily; only the great charisma of my daimyo has calmed their anger sufficiently to keep them working the land instead of starting another uprising I could ill afford.

Iyo is lost

The rebel force in Iyo proclaimed themselves to be the rightful heirs of the Ozu clan and immediately sought to reestablish themselves on the political stage. Unfortunately for them Toyonori would shortly arrive to let them know how he feels about their claims on Iyo.

The Ozu clan rises from the ashes

All is not dark, however, as a messenger arrived with the news that my ally the Tokushima captured Sanuki from the Marugame. Though the news was greeted with joy, it would have been sweeter had I the chance to destroy their clan myself after dealing with the uprising my in lands. The fact that the Marugame clan was destroyed by the will of the Emperor would have to suffice, though soon enough they will be joined by the Ozu (once again) in the dishonor of defeat.

Spear levy

The Third Battle of Iyo

Third time's the charm

Knowing that Toyonori would soon be at the gates of Iyo to seal their fate, the Ozu marched out to face me in the field. This time superior numbers were on my side, and the Ozu would be shown no mercy for denying me my chance to capture Sanuki from the recently departed Marugame clan. My navy was also just off shore, waiting to lend their mighty guns to the struggle. The one factor the Ozu had in their favor was more cavalry than me, which would cost me dearly.

The Ozu line marches up to exchange volleys with me...

... just as my naval bombardment strikes their position...

... forcing them to rush my line while disordered