Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Heroes of the Storm is so boring.

I'm not a fan of Blizzard, the last game I liked from them was Warcraft 3, I've not got a big fanboi love for their lore or universe, so it's probably not aimed at me. I'm just gonna say that now as I just don't care about any of their games.

I went into it with an open mind, I'm late to the MOBA genre and Heroes of the Storm is my first ever one. I then told my friend that I don't get it, he said Heroes of the Storm is crap and I should play Dota 2 instead. I've been playing Dota 2 for the past week now and I get it, I really dig that game, I just don't get Heroes of the Storm.

One thing I noticed on Heroes is there is no depth to it, I became so boring and thought "man MOBA's are just for people too stupid to play the RTS genre". I don't know where the meta game is, all I've done so far online is run around in groups, do some objectives and kill other players. I'm never worried about my health, you can easily get around, I just don't feel like there is any competitive game there at all. To me it feels like what Death Match is in CS:GO to the Competitive mode, just strips out all the fun and becomes a mindless boring shooter.

I don't like the terrible animation work, I think the graphics feel rather flat, it reminds me of if someone made a StarCraft 2 mod or something. There is no feel to the gameplay, when I'm clicking to attack, there is no satisfying feel like I actually hit someone.

I then however got into Dota 2 afterwards with my friend and I'm having a blast! Unlike Heroes, people actually communicate online, they've been very helpful and given me a lot of tips. Just the other match I've got people telling me to increase my magic resists and what items to buy, just really helpful. People will ping, tell you where to go, tell strategy and since I'm new, I just follow along.

I love the whole last hit and deny thing, it adds a ton of meta game and the item shop means you can constantly play differently and change up depending on who you're playing against. Also having all the heroes unlocked from the start means you'll have much more varied games, where in Heroes of the Storm, everyone has the same heroes cause they cannot afford to buy them all.

There is just so much depth to Dota 2, there is none to Heroes of the Storm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Tixylixx should have his/her own subforum. Their are grounds for it... Maybe share with Squirrel.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Heroes Of The Storm is a casual game and Dota 2 is far from it, that's pretty much all their is to it, 2 different games within the same genre but not at all attempting to appeal to the exact same audience; the only issue with saying it like that is some people tend to take that as an insult, that being a 'casual' game is inherently a negative thing when it's not intended to be as such, it's simply a design choice. I can imagine many people who play Dota 2 for the complexity and open meta it can entail may find themselves bored with a game like HoTS which doesn't attempt to do the same.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I'll admit I haven't really played DotA2 in a looooooooooong time (CS:GO is currently my poison of choice) but this...

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I then however got into Dota 2 afterwards with my friend and I'm having a blast! Unlike Heroes, people actually communicate online, they've been very helpful and given me a lot of tips.
    ...this most certainly does NOT sound like the game I played. MOBAs are notorious for having a truly horrible, toxic and obnoxious community, and DotA2 is by no means an exception. So either you're playing in a 5-stack, or you have so much luck you should go out right now and buy a lottery ticket.

HoTS is a much easier game to pick up and play than LoL or DOTA 2, yet somehow manages to have a much narrower appeal than either of those two. If you're going to play a F2P Blizzard game, it might as well be Hearthstone. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Overwatch is released, and then three or four months later the HoTS player base declines dramatically, followed by the servers for it being shut down and everybody forgetting it ever existed, being the entirely forgettable experience it is.
    ~

Overwatch looks a bit shite tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Overwatch looks a bit shite tbh.
    Even still, it'll be less shite than HoTS, and that's all that matters for Blizz.
    ~

Activated Node
    Yeah they need to make some serious changes to HotS if it's going to be a viable choice for any moba gamer. I don't get what they were aiming for with that game. Moba's popularity is because of the competitiveness, yet they built a moba where you can bump your head on the skill ceiling within the 1st week of playing. It makes me think the people at blizzard aren't the geniuses people believe them to be. The game just has no place in the world of mobas.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post
    Yeah they need to make some serious changes to HotS if it's going to be a viable choice for any moba gamer. I don't get what they were aiming for with that game. Moba's popularity is because of the competitiveness, yet they built a moba where you can bump your head on the skill ceiling within the 1st week of playing. It makes me think the people at blizzard aren't the geniuses people believe them to be. The game just has no place in the world of mobas.
    At the moment they just seem to be churning out F2P games whose profit will go toward developing their next pay-to-play game, whatever that happens to be. HoTS is almost certain to be a flop, but it's a flop they can definitely afford. They're still raking in tons of sub money for WoW on a regular basis, and I think Hearthstone has been pretty successful.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just realised that Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch are two different games...

I think Blizzard is the master of strategy games, like starcraft and warcraft, but the moba games, valve is the master, because valve have icefrog, the creator of moba games!

Network Hub
    the whole concept of using RTS controls for action games just makes moba 10 times more boring than it needs to be

Weren't mobas derived from warcraft mods or something?
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-06-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Aren't mobas derived from warcraft mods or something?
    Starcraft custom map Aeon of Strife was the first or one of the first inspirations for the genre. Warcraft 3's DOTA had a lot more popularity, of course.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I just realised that Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch are two different games...
    Are you sure?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Has tf2 gone too far?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like Heroes of the Storm a lot and I have never played any MOBAs. It may be "casual" compared to the "read the wiki or get yelled for half an hour" Dota 2, but it does require and reward both skill and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    HoTS is a much easier game to pick up and play than LoL or DOTA 2, yet somehow manages to have a much narrower appeal than either of those two.
    What do you mean? I read plenty of opinions that HoTS is the first MOBA many people have actual fun playing and of many people who bounced off other MOBAs due to their, uh, slightly hostile environment.
    If you're going to play a F2P Blizzard game, it might as well be Hearthstone.
    Oh no no no no fuck hearthstone. Fuck collecting cards, fuck grinding gold and fuck matchmaking throwing me against people with all the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Oh no no no no fuck hearthstone. Fuck collecting cards, fuck grinding gold and fuck matchmaking throwing me against people with all the cards.
    New players have a very easy time collecting a lot of cards quickly. What's more important, however, is that there is some depth of strategy to Hearthstone, whereas HoTS is just baby's first MOBA. The MOBA of course being an already simplified version of the RTS.

I'm not at all surprised it has a much mellower player base, because nobody has any reason to play it competitively or take it seriously. So that is one area in which HoTS stumbled on to superiority, but in the end, what matters is the gameplay, and HoTS is sleep-inducing in that regard.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New players have a very easy time collecting a lot of cards quickly.
    I had been playing Hearthstone for many, many months and I still had to grind dailies for gold in hopes that I will get cards I need. Then came the adventures requiring heaps of gold and giving overpowered rewards like that Sludge Belcher thing. If someone enjoys the game, more power to them but I am so out.

What's more important, however, is that there is some depth of strategy to Hearthstone, whereas HoTS is just baby's first MOBA. The MOBA of course being an already simplified version of the RTS.
    That's just condescending elitist [insert insulting descriptor here]. Similar things were said about Hearthstone being "crippled Magic the Gathering for braindead casuals".

I'm not at all surprised it has a much mellower player base, because nobody has any reason to play it competitively or take it seriously.
    That's ridiculous, it is a normal competitive game and people do play to win it. Of course, if someone is a jaded veteran of a thousand hours in Dota then it might not be for them.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Similar things were said about Hearthstone being "crippled Magic the Gathering for braindead casuals".
    That's an exaggeration (Hearthstone requires some skill and thought to make the best plays), but it is severely crippled by the high level of randomness present in many of its most powerful cards. Also, anyone can make a Face Hunter deck that wins about 50% of the time with almost zero thought.

It's an interesting game with a lot of good stuff in it. But some of the fundamental design decisions are bonkers, and means it can never have the competitive depth or great deck building of MTG, L5R, Netrunner, various other Fantasy Flight LCGs, etc etc.

Blizzard has this problem with a lot of their recent games, most notably Diablo 3 pre-expansion. They do a great job with making the game "feel" really good to play, but they make crucial mistakes with the actual substance of the game.