Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

But you wouldn't steal a WEBSITE!?

Note: gaming related - honest!

Today, Indie Gala (a bundle company) relaunched their Store (which sold cheap games!)

Here it is

https://www.indiegala.com/store

It kinda reminds me of something

I can't quite put my finger on it

Similarities tho - definate similarities to something something

So - how far is too far??

Network Hub
    That is.... well... that is looking for a lawsuit.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Two websites are using a similar skin, oh the horror. What`ll they do next, sell bundles of games with a portion of the proceeds going to charity?
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Note: gaming related - honest!

Today, Indie Gala (a bundle company) relaunched their Store (which sold cheap games!)

Here it is

https://www.indiegala.com/store

It kinda reminds me of something

I can't quite put my finger on it

Similarities tho - definate similarities to something something

So - how far is too far??
    I was going to say, a minimalist approach with just the game art and price wasn't really so original, anyway. Then I clicked a game... yeah. That pop-up...

I love Humble, but their store is the worst in my opinion. No discoverability outside of the games on the main page, no categorization/archiviation, I'd really love dedicated pages instead of a pop-up, and the pop-up is too big on my laptop 1366x768 screen, it's hard to even scroll it properly. They could have copied someone else, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMeows
    I'd really love dedicated pages instead of a pop-up
    For some reason the fact that the Humble Store doesn't have an actual product page for each game confuses me and creeps me out (it feels like I'm on the wrong internet) every time I go there. Now there are two websites for me to have these feelings about.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Network Hub
    Seriously, of all the webstores to imitate, why choose such an unpleasant one? I'm not scandalized that they're ripping off their competitor, but I am scandalized that they're making such a crap website.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually, looks more like a perfect merge of HumbleBundle and Steam. The best of both (in GUI). That kind of negates the usual.

You can steal from one person. But steal from the world, and your a hero... or something like that. :P
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ... and you're an investment banker?

Network Hub
    Remember when Microsoft redesigned the GFWL store and it looked like Steam? It's only natural to go after what's successful

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    Remember when Microsoft redesigned the GFWL store and it looked like Steam? It's only natural to go after what's successful
    The irony here being that the Humble Store is really quite nasty/hard to find anything on.

No idea on it's successful level - it has the "people like buying from them because it's not Steam" thing going for it - but it's one of the worst bits of web design I've seen in a while in terms of not really working well.

I've seen loads of shops (esp in Asia) which try to look as much like Amazon as possible so it's hardly a new idea but in this case it's a bloody cheeky one.

Note: they could also have been said to have copied to 'Bundles in tabs' design too I guess but that's far less flagrant.

I would only see it as a problem if lawyers get involved, guess it could take the "but it could mislead the customers" path, in that very typical US style?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

They're both just trying to piggyback on Steam. Which, considering they're selling Steam copies of games, does make sense.
    ~∆

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I don't think it is something to pursue, or would be difficult to do so.

But I do think it is intentional and designed in a way to bring attention to the smaller sites from the larger ones.

Whether that is good or bad is hard to tell. Confusing, possibly, and that being part of the design and with a goal in mind to increase sales, I think likely.

The one about the boat game seems more suspect to me, with the similar logo and stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    They're both just trying to piggyback on Steam. Which, considering they're selling Steam copies of games, does make sense.
    thing is if someone came up with a clean uncluttered store, that might be a way to catch up on steam. I'm not liking new steam, it bombards me with too much stuff. that's how google got the jump on yahoo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Why is Humble Store considered nasty again? Not that I like them much, but I am curious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    The irony here being that the Humble Store is really quite nasty/hard to find anything on.

No idea on it's successful level - it has the "people like buying from them because it's not Steam" thing going for it - but it's one of the worst bits of web design I've seen in a while in terms of not really working well.

I've seen loads of shops (esp in Asia) which try to look as much like Amazon as possible so it's hardly a new idea but in this case it's a bloody cheeky one.

Note: they could also have been said to have copied to 'Bundles in tabs' design too I guess but that's far less flagrant.
    First rule of "stupid", copy but don't understand. See someone flying? Oh, you have to FLAP wings:
    flying_wings_1930s.jpg

First rule of intelligence, know why something works.

We see people imitating things all day not realising they left out the one thing that makes the original work.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Why is Humble Store considered nasty again? Not that I like them much, but I am curious.
    It's only usable, if you already know the name of the game you're looking for.
    Bad practices often become a trend if not dealt with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperfez View Post
    Seriously, of all the webstores to imitate, why choose such an unpleasant one? I'm not scandalized that they're ripping off their competitor, but I am scandalized that they're making such a crap website.
    My feelings as well.

We see people imitating things all day not realising they left out the one thing that makes the original work.
    I could be forcibly compelled to acknowledge that, in this case, the original "works."
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Activated Node
    Agree with everything said so far. (ie why copy Humble of all people.)

I know nothing of these things but it looks like a web developer has basically sold the same site to two different companies.

Is that possible?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMellie View Post
    I know nothing of these things but it looks like a web developer has basically sold the same site to two different companies.

Is that possible?
    Of course - happens all the time!

Most websites are based on widely-used frameworks/templates, but the idea is to "brand" the websites your create to make them reasonably unique or at least not obviously "the same thing apart from the logo and the cart floater moved to the other side!"

Humble's Store is quite unique (tho not necessarily well designed) and seems not to be based on any 'off the shelf' store frameworks

IndieGala is built with Bootstrap - Twitter's own framework (freely available for people to use)

Thus it's not a straight copy of the Humble Code - "no foul" there - but I've not seen another store which works like the Humble Store so it's pretty obvious they copied their main competitor's work for some reason.

It's not illegal to copy the design of a thing per-se - some people would even find it flattering - but there are only 2 reasons to copy something to such a degree

1 - because it's highly effective and clever <<< this isn't the Humble Store, sadly
    2 - because it's your main competition/the biggest in the market and you want people to mistake you for them <<< this one seems to fit better