Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Simcity and Cities XXL, Which One?

Cities XXL gonna be out by end of next week.

I've missed both Cities XL and Simcity. If I have to choose (budget constraint permits me to buy only one), which one would you mates recommend?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Cities: Skylines
    It is sort of Cities in Motion 3 but they have refocused a great deal.

Some gameplay from gamespot
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    There hasn't been a lot of information regarding the upcoming Cities XXL release. A noteworthy promise is proper multi-core support which may or may not fix the performance issues the game experiences with high population. I'd wait until it's out and other players report if it's worth the price. You could also try to get the previous Cities XL cheap first and take advantage of the 50% price reduction on XXL for owners of XL, just read up on the terms beforehand, I guess you need to have it on Steam.

The biggest difference between Cities XXL and Sim City are map size on the one hand, where CitiesXXL has far larger map sizes. On the other hand the way your city develops is also different. In CitiesXXL you place zones based on economic classes (low/medium/high economic residential zones, e.g.) and design your city based on the needs of these classes. In SimCity your town develops based on your zones' environment and residents move in and out of houses depending on how their needs are fulfilled by the surrounding conditions. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the mechanics.

It's hard to say which one is the better city builder, as it depends heavily on your own preferences regarding the dynamics and mechanics of designing a city. As Heliocentric suggested, Cities Skylines (which is not in any way affiliated with the CitiesXL series) will come out some time this year and looks very promising and, in my opinion, more promising than either CitiesXL or SimCity. But you'd need to wait some more time until it's out and will have to pay a higher price.

Both SimCity and CitiesXL should have limited demos out, so you could try starting there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    All three sound very cool. But Skylines seem to avail in later days. Maybe I will hold on right now to see how they all look.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    All three sound very cool. But Skylines seem to avail in later days. Maybe I will hold on right now to see how they all look.
    The Cities in Motion (from which Cities: Skylines hails) games were oddly better city games than they were ever meant to be. If you ignore logistics of how freight commuters and tourists travel what is really left? A fire station that spreads a an influence of suppressed fires for a 5 square radius? What if instead things like fire crews and police had response times and you can set up a bus lane in your city centres. I'm not sure how close Cities: Skyline will fall to my vision but the Cities XXL and SimCity have completely abandoned logistics to being a statistic.

Other less 'modern and/or authentic' games I'd recommend that have meaningfully employed logistics, economies and/or traffic are the Children of the Nile, Settlers 2 10th Anniversary and Tropico 3. In nearly every other city game everything just magically appears where its needed. All 3 make things position and roads matter not by a magical radius but because the transport and commutes must be made. Don't put cheap housing near your industrial areas in Tropico and your laborers won't work or will build shacks which will ruin your approval ratings and your tourism. Route too many materials from your mining through a narrow pass and watch it get clogged up in Settlers 2 10th anniversary. In children of the nile the social stability of your tradesmen depends on being well placed in relation to customers and resource, indeed I can't think of a game that better expresses that an well designed city will result in an efficient people producing more tax revenue that allows for a better city so brilliantly.

I want to mention Sid Meier's Railroads in the same high regard but it has some severe logical failings like the inability to process goods in the town they are produced in (a cannery in a fishing port will simply refuse to tin the local fish) and equally Startopia (producing a robust "customs" area overlooked by turrets really helps curtail terrorists and alien parasites) is simply not fully featured enough to be considered management or a simulation of a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I want to mention Sid Meier's Railroads in the same high regard
    I liked Railroads a lot, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want a simulation of a city instead of a simulation of a logistics network. It's a fun game if you like to play around with trains for a bit though.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

@Helio - well, now I want to play Startopia again, and whats worse, I want a Startopia Cities game. Curse you!

Skylines looks like the best simulation-oriented management game I've seen in ages.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    What about Banished or Tropico? Both are excellent and/or superior to the two original choices.
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Quote Originally Posted by strange headache View Post
    What about Banished or Tropico? Both are excellent and/or superior to the two original choices.
    I did mention Trop 3 my personal favourite of the series but banished completely passed me by. The suggestion that it could be 'solved' and lacked any interesting end game put me off.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I did mention Trop 3 my personal favourite of the series but banished completely passed me by. The suggestion that it could be 'solved' and lacked any interesting end game put me off.
    Indeed you did mention Tropico, didn't notice it.

You should give Banished a try though, I enjoyed it rather much. Sure it's somewhat limited in scope but considering its price point it has a lot to offer.

Banished is like a 2000 piece puzzle, it can be "solved" but it takes quite a while to put everything in place and balance it accordingly. It runs very well, has a great atmosphere and a pleasure to just watch and observe. It would profit greatly from an expansion though.
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Banished probably wouldn't scratch that SimCity itch, it's not the same. But it has a lot to offer, it's a delightful little sandbox.

Similarly I wouldn't put Tropico in quite the same boat either (though I have extremely limited experience with it). Cities XXL [edit: actually mean Cities Skyline, wtf, naming committee?] could be really interesting though, look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    Last edited by Rizlar; Today at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    @Helio - well, now I want to play Startopia again, and whats worse, I want a Startopia Cities game. Curse you!
    Startopia still exists and its still great, hell its graphics hold up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Similarly I wouldn't put Tropico in quite the same boat either (though I have extremely limited experience with it). Cities XXL could be really interesting though, look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    You are right of course, since sim city 2000 there has been a void in the market.

Obscure Node
    You could always play Simcity 4 with the NAM mod. Or get Simcity 2000 from GOG. You would be surprised how well the mechanics work in Simcity 2000... I still play it every once in a while when I get bored of fiddly parts of SC4.