Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favourite recent turn based RPG ?

Personnally I've been very fond of SR Dragonfall and the Banner Saga, and disapointed by Wasteland and DOS. Wich surprised me somehow. I'd like to have other opinions and not only with the most recent games but since around 2010 (I already played Fallout serie or JA2 ;-). I esÍcially don't knw much about the TB games edited in the last 4,5 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    XCOM:EW, if it counts as an RPG. Otherwise, Might and Magic X was surprisingly enjoyable, even despite uPlay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Any news on King's Bounty? And any of previous King's Bounty you mates recommend most?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What about UnderRail? Its on steam here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

Its an old school one, similar to original Fallout. I haven't gotten far into myself and its still early access and has been for a few years, its still been worked on but its big.

Then there is the spiderweb stuff. On steam here - http://store.steampowered.com/search...web%20Software

Lots of positive reviews of them

Yes, Xcom and JA2 can be counted in I suppose. Even if somehow XCOM feels less RPG than JA2.

Underrail looks promising. I wonder how the story is though. I might give it a try. It would be my second early access after battlebrothers.

I tried Halfway, which seems nice at first but became quickly boring.
    Last edited by Tevildo; 11-05-2015 at 08:24 AM.

My itch has been nicely scratched by the release of Invisible Inc. (currently only released to Early Accessers, May 12th for everyone else). The shortest description would probably be 'Stealth X-com', without to-hit percentages. And you don't get shot by aliens, because you don't get seen. It's got character development through skills and inventory, permadeath and a gorgeous aesthetic.
    Oh, and it's cyberpunky, so you get augments and a hacking subgame.

At the moment I'm mostly into the EA-release of Battle Brothers. It's kind of a mix between X-Com, Jagged Alliance and Mount & Blade. Even in its current pretty barebones state it's a lot of fun.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Have a DS or 3DS? Stuff like Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey (though that's more of a Wizardry-em-up) are scratching that itch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Have a DS or 3DS? Stuff like Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey (though that's more of a Wizardry-em-up) are scratching that itch for me.

No DS here :-( But I saw there was something similar on PC called "The Legend of Heroes".

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    What about UnderRail? Its on steam here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

I looked at some let's play parts, and I like the environment, even if it feels kind of empty. I guess the story can make the difference in the end.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevildo View Post
    I looked at some let's play parts, and I like the environment, even if it feels kind of empty. I guess the story can make the difference in the end.
    I have only played the first little bit, and that was a while ago, but there was enough to keep me guessing and wanting to find out more. I just stopped to let it develop a bit more and its meant to be going full release in the summer(soontm)so I haven't been back to it yet.

Another turn based game that you might like is Neo Scavenger -
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

Not much story, its more of a survival game with perma death. There is a story in there, but you have to search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Car to Pol View Post
    My itch has been nicely scratched by the release of Invisible Inc. (currently only released to Early Accessers, May 12th for everyone else). The shortest description would probably be 'Stealth X-com', without to-hit percentages. And you don't get shot by aliens, because you don't get seen. It's got character development through skills and inventory, permadeath and a gorgeous aesthetic.
    Oh, and it's cyberpunky, so you get augments and a hacking subgame.
    The gameplay seems very good but what leads the campaign ? An international conspiracy to demask ? Just a business to run ?

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I think ill be picking up Invisible Inc.

Does Crypt of the Necrodancer count? If so, i am loving it to bits. Only possible downside i see is there are only 4 zones. I want many many more, greedy old me.

Someone asked about the best Kings Bounty, that would be Crossworlds.

Fire Emblem is pretty cool

Pillars of Eternity and/or Original Sin. Both great IMO. Massive Chalice is also pretty interesting. Darkest Dungeon might be my favorite for a time when it releases.
    ~∆

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    D:OS unless you count AOW3 campaign as turn based RPG

Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall. So good!

If you're not averse to older games with some interesting quirks then http://www.gog.com/game/silent_storm_gold is probably my favourite... after fallout tactics of course. http://store.steampowered.com/app/38420/

Quote Originally Posted by Tevildo View Post
    The gameplay seems very good but what leads the campaign ? An international conspiracy to demask ? Just a business to run ?
    The premise of Invisible Inc. is that you're an intelligence agency with access to a nifty AI. At the start of the game some corporation's private security force comes knocking and killing, and only a handful of you escape, with that AI. Unfortunately, it's got only 72 hours of backup power. So, in the coming 72 hours you're trying to find a source power for your AI, and take some revenge, by infiltrating the facilities of 4 different corporations and nicking their stuff.

I'm not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense, but it's a nice backdrop to the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Car to Pol View Post
    The premise of Invisible Inc. is that you're an intelligence agency with access to a nifty AI. At the start of the game some corporation's private security force comes knocking and killing, and only a handful of you escape, with that AI. Unfortunately, it's got only 72 hours of backup power. So, in the coming 72 hours you're trying to find a source power for your AI, and take some revenge, by infiltrating the facilities of 4 different corporations and nicking their stuff.

I'm not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense, but it's a nice backdrop to the gameplay.
    No, it's perfectly clear :-) thx. I like that it's story driven and the gameplay looks damn good. I watched a let's play from a guy called Marzobir but I didn't see any story or cinematique interlude. Maybe it was an early version.

I played some Darkest Dungeon, but wanted to wait until it left early access before I got deeper into it. Now because of this thread I watched the Intro again and I really want to play it NOW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4z-N5LL8o